Another newbie!

Babycat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello All: I am Babycat1 & I am a total newbie in caring for a cat. Here is my tale: I was feeding 1 female feral neighborhood cat (Tabby) who isn’t spayed back in April. Two months later she showed up with kitten in tow, just 1 but I heard she had 3-4 but idk what happened to them. I managed to get this kitten to a rescue group, fostered & adopted. Happy happy! Meanwhile she became pregnant again & another female cat (Trina) started frequenting my porch. So I was then feeding two females, 1 pregnant. Now Trina looked puffy in the midsection & I suspected pregnancy. I developed rapport with Trina & she let me pet her back briefly for the next 2-3 mths. Fast forward to Dec 1, she shows up to my porch with her own kitten in tow! Just 1 kitten. Trina never lost the puffy belly & I figured she’s overeating, double dipping dinner at some1 else house too. By the timeline she gave birth around the same time Tabby did to her 2nd litter. I was expecting Tabby to bring her kids out so I was a little surprised Trina brought me her baby. Well this baby cat who is named Angel hasn’t left my property since. Again, I was setting her up for fostering but my dghtr & husband wanted to keep her. I was outvoted.
I am allergic to cats and cannot keep her indoors full time but since she is feral born she is a very smart little girl. She has never gone in the street & she is quick to get under the car if something frightens her. She has a safe warm lair to sleep in. Her mom still hangs around part of the day & still eats her meals here & she still looks pregnant. She is still teaching Angel cat lessons I’m sure.
I do bring Angel in as much as I can. We live in So FL so our weather is ideal for outdoor cats. She is 9 weeks old ( best guess) & 10 days ago she weighed 2.5 lbs. I feed her kitten food 4x a day, (small portions) & she has access to water all day long tho she hardly drinks. I can literally see her growing. She’s had her 1st shot, blood test, dewormer n flea med. Her 2nd appt is in 2 days. She will be spayed at 4 mths. I realize some ppl may not agree with cats living outdoors but that’s how it is for now but I’m working to get her indoors more as time goes on. So she will technically be indoor-outdoor. She comes when I call her, like I said she is smart.
I know nothing about cats but I am a pet lover & my dear dog crossed the bridge in April after 12 yrs of life. So here I am.
Btw,Tabby totally dumped me. When Angel came to live here. Tabby just walks by & totally ignores me & won’t come on my property. Is that respect for territory or jealousy of Angel? I wouldn't think a grown cat wld defer to a little kitten...?
Tabby did finally bring 2 kittens out 2 weeks ago but keeps them across the street. I cannot get near them. She goes to a neighbor to eat then hides the kittens again. They are about 8 weeks old. I’d like to get them into foster asap.
Overall it seems to be going well with Angel. Fleas are under control, she eats well, is a good little huntress, loves to play but will also fall asleep on you in a nanosecond. I will frequent this forum & other resources as needed. Glad to be here! I have lots to learn.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
3d4a7fca5a901077faa7d23e16e6e300.gif
Babycat1, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
01a44b168e488107eff53ee39e16a32c.gif
to you.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Thank you for taking care of momma cat and her babies :clapcat: and we are so
IMG_3272.GIF
to hear about your doggy:alright:

Since you this is your first cat, do read the articles below to refresh yourself on taking care of a cat.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules
bringing-home-a-new-cat-the-complete-guide.29657
first-time-cat-owners-guide.33669
how-to-help-a-new-cat-adjust-to-your-home.32804
common-foods-that-are-harmful-to-cats.30181
household-chemicals-and-your-cats.29641
first-aid-for-cats.22464
cats-lilies-avoid-the-danger-lurking-in-your-home.33397
the-litterbox-what-every-cat-owner-needs-to-know.33457
how-to-choose-the-right-litterbox.32515

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babycat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the warm welcome! Thanks for the quick links to the necessary articles, so much to learn!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS :wave2: Thanks for feeding / caring for the ferals, and for adopting little Angel. :catlove:

About her mama and the other mama, can the rescue group help you get them trapped, so they can be spayed? If not, I fear by this time next year, you'll have a large feral colony in your neighbourhood. :sigh:

Back to Angel, I know you mentioned that you are allergic to cats, but I know people who become immune to their own cats, so possibly look into that, so that you can keep Angel inside where she'll be safe. If that's not possible, maybe you could build a catio for her. I just worry that with your big heart, you're setting yourself up for heart-break if Angel continues to have access to outside. Many years ago my family lost a less than 1 year old cat, when it was hit by a cat. I know the pain, and hope you won't ever experience it.

Here's a couple TCS articles that might be helpful:
How To Keep Your Cat Safe Outdoors – TheCatSite Articles
Cat Enclosures – TheCatSite Articles
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door | TheCatSite
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) | TheCatSite

Babycat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS :wave2: Thanks for feeding / caring for the ferals, and for adopting little Angel. :catlove:

About her mama and the other mama, can the rescue group help you get them trapped, so they can be spayed? If not, I fear by this time next year, you'll have a large feral colony in your neighbourhood. :sigh:

Back to Angel, I know you mentioned that you are allergic to cats, but I know people who become immune to their own cats, so possibly look into that, so that you can keep Angel inside where she'll be safe. If that's not possible, maybe you could build a catio for her. I just worry that with your big heart, you're setting yourself up for heart-break if Angel continues to have access to outside. Many years ago my family lost a less than 1 year old cat, when it was hit by a cat. I know the pain, and hope you won't ever experience it.

Here's a couple TCS articles that might be helpful:
How To Keep Your Cat Safe Outdoors – TheCatSite Articles
Cat Enclosures – TheCatSite Articles
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door | TheCatSite
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) | TheCatSite
Thanks rubysmama! Yes, her safety is of great concern & Is a big reason I resisted keeping her. I love animals & will always help in any way I can but taking in a cat is a lifestyle change to a certain degree. My cat allergy is another concern. I was outvoted by husband & grown dghtr & altho I still cldv went ahead with the fostering plans I threw caution to the wind & will give it the ol‘ college try.
I do live on a quiet residential street but of course something terrible can still happen. I do like the idea of a catio.. I had never thought about this option or knew how much they cost. I’ll definitely look into it. At the same time I wld like her to keep the street smarts that she is developing like hunting, running/ hiding when a car comes, socializing with her mom or other cats who may come by, etc. Idk if these are good goals to have or maintain for her if we got her a catio. Again, I know very little about cats, however I’m a believer in letting an animal be as natural as possible while keeping them safe and not trying to instill human qualities or emotions into them like I see many humans do.
I do appreciate your words of wisdom. Thank you! And yes I do hope to capture Tabby & her kids with the next month. Her kids are Angel are similar ages. I can pretty much capture Trina on my own but I don’t think I should do it b4 Angel is 12 weeks old. The TNR program is very tricky here, with limited vouchers & clinics take a limited amt of ferals a day or week. It’s a balancing act but I’m doing my best to figure it out n get the timing right.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Thank you for looking after Angel. Since you mentioned knowing very little about cats you obviously came to the right place. Please check out some of the links tabbytom tabbytom posted, they are a great resource. And if you have a pic of Angel we would love to meet her. :kitty:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Again, I know very little about cats,
Any specific questions you have, it might be best to ask in one of the topic specific forums, as more members read those threads, which would possibly get you more replies / advice.

It’s a balancing act but I’m doing my best to figure it out n get the timing right.
That it is, especially during these Covid times. Thanks for all you're doing.

Babycat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Thank you for looking after Angel. Since you mentioned knowing very little about cats you obviously came to the right place. Please check out some of the links tabbytom tabbytom posted, they are a great resource. And if you have a pic of Angel we would love to meet her. :kitty:
Hi Neely: Here she is! She’s seems to be a med-long haired tabby. She looks very similar to her mom, Trina, but she’s more gray & Trina is more golden. Also Trinas tail is very long & bushy similar to a Maine Coone. I think Angels tail is long, only time will tell if her tail will fluff up like her mom’s.

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi Neely: Here she is! She’s seems to be a med-long haired tabby. She looks very similar to her mom, Trina, but she’s more gray & Trina is more golden. Also Trinas tail is very long & bushy similar to a Maine Coone. I think Angels tail is long, only time will tell if her tail will fluff up like her mom’s.
Oh, she's pawsitively adorable. :hearthrob:

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hithere:Welcome to TCS! We are thrilled you're here!

Thank you so much for taking in these kitties! Much respect to you! You've saved lives and given them a new chance, and you should be very proud.
Feel free to ask any questions and post all the pictures... We do love to see kitties! God bless you ❤

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you, and to your little feral families as well! As for Angel, I am entirely kittensmitten!