Another Kitten: Advice/opinions

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 22 cats/kittens in my above ground finished basement. One new kitten is from a litter of 4 survivors. S/he fits in through the dog kennel which is how she came in when separated from her mama and litter mates and she comes in when rest of them come in for the night.

Mama has not been around for over 2 weeks, I am sure a victim of the coyotes I hear every night. The past week one of the remaining 3 kittens has become separated from the other 2 as they come up to deck to eat at different times. This kitten is now in back of house by the cats in dog kennel. My dilemma is do I catch it and keep it safe inside till old enough/weighs enough for surgery? Do I try for the other 2? I am not counting the little black kitten that was only about 2 months old that showed up on my deck about 3 weeks ago. I am keeping it caged in a large dog crate until it can have surgery. I will not socialize any more ferals as I have way too many cats already and the basement stinks to high heaven. Trying to clean up with Nature's Miracle. Also a young grey cat around 5-6 months old has recently showed up. I do TNR in my community and people are always dumping cats by my house. There are no more friends/relatives I can convince to adopt any so I am adamant about not having any more cats live here.

My dilemma is do I try to trap these 3 remaining kittens and keep them safe inside till they have their surgery after which I shall return them outside or do I just let them be and trap them when I have apt for their surgery. I am guessing they are about 3-4 months old so should be ok for surgery; I am waiting to hear back from the organization I use.

What would you do?

Karen

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any rescue groups around who could help get some of the kittens socialized and adopted?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I totally agree with surya surya -- that's SO much to handle! Physically, mentally, emotionally, psychologically....you name it! You've obviously got an enormous heart - - but that's alot to try to handle all alone. Most spay/neuter clinics near us have "teams" that they can send out to help trap and transport to the clinics (the one nearest to me does it at no charge!). They are also more than willing to share tips on socializing, etc. Clinics do fill up fast - -- it probably will take a bit of time to get him over thrall

I'll answer more specifically your questions when I've got a tad bit more time -- but wanted to make sure you got this note so that you could start calling this afternoon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Locally there is a kill shelter. I am not aware of any rescue groups, that is why I am in the predicament I find myself in. I am the "rescue" organization around here. I live in NE Pa where most people kill animals, everyone seems to have a gun and hunting permit.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Quick note - - I'm not stalking (promise!) but if you're comfortable saying - -what are the nearest large towns to you? As a fellow mid-westerner, I've got several very animal-loving friends in and around Pennsylvania, and they might be aware of some type of clinic - - you never know! Some do run little under the radar.

Again - - will write more shortly to answer some of your direct questions today soon as I get a moment!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't mind giving my location. About 40 min away the nearest towns are Hawley and Honesdale. Over an hour away is Scranton and Middletown NY. We really aren't near anywhere! haha

\I checked out the Humane Society in Port Jervis and they couldn't help but did give me a name of someone who may have some ideas for me. I left a message on her phone so we'll see.

Thanks for your replies.
Karen