(Another) introducing new cats question

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've done this a few times and have been lucky my cats have been laid back. Process is going smooth enough, every adult cat has hissed the first time the saw the kitten then mostly gotten used to the idea of the kitten living in the office.
In the past all my kittens have been balls of energy that wanted to play with everyone, this one is sweet but obviously scared. Hisses when they're close.
How do I get the kitten to not be so scared of them? Even when playing with her. i can't lure her to get close to the doorway when a cat is there.
When do I let them interact without a barrier?

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has it been? The new kitten has to be more relaxed around the other cats. When you can get her to come a bit closer to the doorway when a cat is there, that may be the time. Kittens are usually easier to intregate into the family, there is bound to be hissing, growling, and swatting on both sides. The older cats will take it upon themselves to teach manners to the newcomer, so expect all of the above to happen and to be normal. If the kitten begins to play with the adults and they swat her, pin her, etc. and she comes back for more play, everything is normal. if she hides and refuses to interact with them, then she is truly getting hurt. These things, as you know just take a lot of time, at least a couple of weeks, so far everything sounds normal!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And, once she is comfortable with a cat being near the door, as di and bob di and bob suggested, you might find it easier to introduce her to one cat at a time, rather than the entire clowder all at once.

How long does it take? LOL, well...until it is done. Weeks, usually, months fairly regularly, and a year on occasion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long has it been? The new kitten has to be more relaxed around the other cats. When you can get her to come a bit closer to the doorway when a cat is there, that may be the time...
This is the 2nd week. Ive done separate rooms, cracking the door, feeding on either side of a barrier thing with my other cats. They adjusted fast little to no hissing each time they got closer. She'll hiss if another cat gets within 2 feet of her. She will come towards them even walk past them as long as they're that far away.

I've had timid or shy, they freeze up/hide/keep away. She isn't that, she got to that 2 foot range remarkably fast, shes just nervous. I don't know if easing them together slower will do anything.

Do I let them commingle and see if she relaxes or just keep them separated with a barrier longer.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She really sounds like a typical female. If they listen to her and stay away, I really don't think you'll have a problem. Older cats usually don't want to mess with a hissy little girl. If you can interfere if they get into it, Iwould let them co-mingle. Watch carefully and have a towel or piece of cardboard handy to stick between them. All the luck!

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She really sounds like a typical female. If they listen to her and stay away, I really don't think you'll have a problem. Older cats usually don't want to mess with a hissy little girl. If you can interfere if they get into it, Iwould let them co-mingle. Watch carefully and have a towel or piece of cardboard handy to stick between them. All the luck!
Cardboard to break up a fight or to just break line of site? Im not worried theyll fight, they're well trained not to attack.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cardboard to stick between them. She would need to keep them all in sight to feel more comfortable, and they her. NO animal is well trained enough to fight instinct, if she would scratch one of them a fight could happen. Most fights end well though, screeches and fur flying are pretty typical and sound worse then they are. good luck!

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kitten has finally been in every room of the house, spent most of the last 24hours running all over the house, she's a little intimidated by the other cats but is a lot more curios than scared... she sneaks up on them gently puts one paw on them, then runs like hell.
The other cats clearly don't like her, but no aggressive posturing, chasing, biting, swatting, or scaring the kitten into hiding. Just some angry tail and the occasional his when they see her approaching.

Am I supposed to control their interactions until they get along, (head bunting, sniffing, licking each other) or is the goal of the slow introduction non-violent tolerance?

The older pair don't have a problem sleeping on the bed with the kitten.
I stopped separating the last kitten at this point but he never got friendly with the other cats, not sure if its because I rushed it or it's just a cat thing.

84207479_173449433878093_4521365377338310656_n.jpg

ps my kitten has no nose, just a pair of nostril on a flat face.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really sounds like things are going ok with them. They don't necessarily have to be best buds, but if there's no fur flying or blood, and none of the cats seemed stressed, then things are going well.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sometimes all you get is peaceful (mostly, with a few heated discussions) coexistence. She's young, she's full of energy, and she's annoying them no end, but NO ONE HAS TAKEN A SWING AT HER! I'd say you're doing very well. As she grows up and settles down, they may actually learn to like her very well. If they're sleeping on the same bed, most of your worries are over with.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We're always here! Make sure you are, too! Someone is going to need what you've now learned at some point in time!