another feral fixed

kittykratz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I have not caught the pregnant female. She is nowhere to be found. I hope she is not hiding somewhere having the kittens already. I will have to mount a massive search for her this week. I did, however catch Bill, the tomcat who empregnated her. He is getting fixed tomorrow (a little late now). The colony is growing fast. How far do feral cats travel for food?

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KittyKratz,

Way to go!! At least there's one male who won't be able to do the wild thing anymore. Ferals will travel as far as they need to in order to find food.

The female may very well stay close to your house because she knows that's where her food comes from. I would try looking under porches, in bushes, near basement windows where there is a groove, anywhere in the vicinity. I've heard of mamas having their babies in carports in oil pans, so anything is possible. Let me know how you make out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykratz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bad news. Bill who went to be neutered today was found to be FIV+. He was euthanized this afternoon. It was a very hard decision, but I couldn't find anyone to take him, and I can't risk infecting the other cats who are all FIV- at this point. I spent some time with him this afternoon.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Sorry to hear about Bill. I guess you couldn't risk any catfights among the cats that would lead to others being infected... I hope the female is still FIV negative. She may have caught it from him during mating (especially as males bite the necks of the females).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykratz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish I could answer that question. I still can't catch her. I have tried every night since Sunday. No luck.