Another Feral Family At My Office

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been a couple years since I posted on this thread, but yesterday at work I noticed a "new" feral momma and two kittens in our yard at work.

Previously, I wrote about the kitten who got trapped in our warehouse, and I took her for TNR...then socialized and kept her. Farrell just turned 3 years old, is doing great, and is a "very domestic" indoor kitty now. That same spring, I trapped a pregnant feral, Misfit, and took her for TNR. I keep failing at the "Release" part...Misfit also just turned 3 years old (September), and is an affectionate indoor/outdoor cat now who never leaves my property. Misfit's the one the shelter told me was "too wild to ever be socialized" after they had her 8 weeks weaning her kittens. Boy, were they wrong! :petcat: That's the history, so far, with my feral experience.

Anyway, the convenience store next to my job was caretaking a feral colony where Farrell came from. The colony managers moved the colony elsewhere a couple of years ago and that seemed to be the end of the ferals, except for one scraggly aging tuxedo who keeps coming back around now and then. Until yesterday.

Long story short, yesterday I saw a grey/white tuxedo momma and two grey/white kittens who look about the age to be just-weaned but still sticking fairly close to momma. After work, I bought canned and dry cat and kitten food to take to work tomorrow. The humane traps are still in our work warehouse. If they're still there I guess I'm back in the feral business for awhile. I only work that job Mon-Wed-Fri, so they may be gone tomorrow.

Will post an update on status tomorrow if they are still there or not.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for all that you do for the feral cats. I remember when you trapped Farrell and Misfit ( didn't her name used to be KitKat?). So glad they are both doing well.

Good luck with the trapping. Let us know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all that you do for the feral cats. I remember when you trapped Farrell and Misfit ( didn't her name used to be KitKat?). So glad they are both doing well.

Good luck with the trapping. Let us know.
Thank you.

Yes, Misfit's name evolved from KitKat to Miss Fit because she's so sleek, lean and muscular....then to Misfit the cat who wasn't supposed to be tamed. Good memory!

I almost forgot about Dasher...the third feral kitten who was abandoned by momma the same spring/summer as Farrell and Misfit. It was fun taking care of him from about 5 weeks old until he weighed enough to be neutered. He got adopted out before they even had time to put his photo up and list him on the shelter website. :)

My office is right on a highway, and they started noisy road construction yesterday. There is an open overgrown field on the other side of the highway. I suspect that's where the new cats came from.

Hoping the cats are still around the office tomorrow. The kittens look just the right age to be spayed/neutered, socialized and adopted out through the shelter. Momma cat, of course, needs TNR. Maybe this time, I can actually follow through on the "R". :)

Momma cat moved the kittens somewhere after I discovered the family, but she stuck around.

I didn't have anything healthy to offer. I put some of my potato chips from lunch out and momma gobbled them up like she hadn't eaten in awhile. :( She's very thin, but I guess that's normal after having a litter. I did fill up a huge bowl of water for them.

My boss won't be thrilled to hear me talking about feral cats again. He wasn't happy about me asking to take work time to drive and pickup feral cats to and from the shelter, and make up the time later.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm off in less than an hour and....no cats today.

The road construction guys are gone, so I'm thinking that the noise Monday scared the cats across the highway and they went back "home", probably in the vacant lot.

I only put about 30 pieces of kitten kibble out this morning so I could go out every couple of hours and "count" to see if even a single piece of food disappeared. Nothing.

I'll try again Friday, but I think they went back to wherever they came from.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep watching. They may still come back if they believe there is food to be found.
I wish I'd had some "real food" for them when I first spotted them Monday, either cat food or meat...not potato chips. :oops:

But yes, I'll be back at work Friday. I guess that's the hard part, not being there every day, working only 3 days a week 3 towns away from where I live. Too far to drive out on non-work days. My boss lives in the same town, but he's not terribly interested in helping with feral cats....or non-feral cats for that matter. He's allergic. 🤧

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No cats to be seen yesterday at the office. It was our first cold windy day of fall with light rain all day.

The food I put out Wednesday was gone, but I figure raccoons or opossum ate it. I put out more on Friday and it went untouched all day.

I'll try again on Monday, but I think the cats are gone.