Another cat who ate a dryer sheet

mycatiscrazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello -

As the title says, my cat has ingested a dryer sheet.

It was a dryer sheet that was already used in the dryer, and she ate close to half of it.

I've already called the vet and talked to them, but any advice/help would be much appreciated.

I've read all over the web about the symptoms and seriousness of this.

So far, she is just lethargic.  She is still eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom.

She is going to the bathroom less, which leads me to believe it's some sort of blockage, but something is still getting out?

The vet told us just to watch her closely for now, as long as she's still eating/drinking.

Any advice/tricks to do to help her try to pass it faster?

Wet food?  Hairball remedy?  I feel like it might be past the point of her vomiting it up, and it's past that.

I'm hoping that any/most of the chemicals that were on the sheet were used up when it was used in the dryer.

I would think if it was a bad chemical, it would have had some sort of effect on her by now; which leads me to believe it is some sort of blockage.

But it's not full blockage, it seems, so I'm just looking for some input.

She is about 8 months old, and very healthy typically.  She just likes to eat weird things.... Won't ever be a dryer sheet again though.

Thanks-

Mike

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gosh, this is a new one on me.  Not sure what to tell you other than follow your Vet's advise and keep a close eye on her.  If she starts really straining or stops pooping entirely, get her in pronto!  And if you see part of the sheet hanging out of her, do NOT pull on it as other parts of it could be entangled further in her.  Hopefully if you see part of it, she will be able to push the rest out.

As to the chemicals that might have still been on it, did you ask the Vet about that part of it?  What did they say? 

Worrisome....

Sorry I can't give you more