Another cat introduction thread!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Been a while! Not much is new. Bastian is out all day, we've been home for holiday break so basically all day every day until bed time! A couple times we've either put him or Orion in his room for a short break, he occasionally still jumps on Splenda or Orion jumps on him but not much fur flying anymore etc. He made it almost 2 days with no incidents but late tonight jumped on splenda when she was just sleeping on the couch so I decided it was time for him to go in for the night but other than that not a lot to report! The older boys sometimes guard the exits to his room possibly to keep him in. And today for the first time I found him just relaxing near some of the other cats. Usually he's in another room from them and when they are together it's mostly when in a room with one of us.

20220101_140948.jpg

Splenda woke up and wasn't quite sure about him being there but she stayed put and he left her alone.

Here's a nice picture of them all just hanging around after they had some treats. Caspian even licked his for a second when I was giving treats! And they both got a treat for it lol

20220101_125909.jpg

Pretty soon we'll be able to keep him out at night I think! Even when they do have the little jumps they often separate quickly so I'm not really worried. Mostly don't want them playing or fighting on top of us in bed or waking us up in the middle of the night!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been a while! Not much is new. Bastian is out all day, we've been home for holiday break so basically all day every day until bed time! A couple times we've either put him or Orion in his room for a short break, he occasionally still jumps on Splenda or Orion jumps on him but not much fur flying anymore etc. He made it almost 2 days with no incidents but late tonight jumped on splenda when she was just sleeping on the couch so I decided it was time for him to go in for the night but other than that not a lot to report! The older boys sometimes guard the exits to his room possibly to keep him in. And today for the first time I found him just relaxing near some of the other cats. Usually he's in another room from them and when they are together it's mostly when in a room with one of us.

View attachment 406355

Splenda woke up and wasn't quite sure about him being there but she stayed put and he left her alone.

Here's a nice picture of them all just hanging around after they had some treats. Caspian even licked his for a second when I was giving treats! And they both got a treat for it lol

View attachment 406356

Pretty soon we'll be able to keep him out at night I think! Even when they do have the little jumps they often separate quickly so I'm not really worried. Mostly don't want them playing or fighting on top of us in bed or waking us up in the middle of the night!
"Been a while! " - Well, with the holidays I figured it would be busy.

"Not much is new." - Ok

" Bastian is out all day, we've been home for holiday break so basically all day every day until bed time!" - Well, THAT IS GREAT!!!

" A couple times we've either put him or Orion in his room for a short break," - ok

" he occasionally still jumps on Splenda" - Yep, he likes to play.

" or Orion jumps on him but not much fur flying anymore etc." - Ok, that is probably a bit more teaching manners.

" He made it almost 2 days with no incidents but late tonight jumped on splenda when she was just sleeping on the couch " - Ok, he can't resist it seems. He does like her and she seems to like him. How did she react? Act after?

"so I decided it was time for him to go in for the night but other than that not a lot to report! " - Ok

"The older boys sometimes guard the exits to his room possibly to keep him in." - Awwwwwwww

" And today for the first time I found him just relaxing near some of the other cats. Usually he's in another room from them and when they are together it's mostly when in a room with one of us." - Awwwwwwwwwww

Picture- AWESOME!!! They look relaxed. Happy. Not surprising though.

"Splenda woke up and wasn't quite sure about him being there but she stayed put and he left her alone. - Was Splenda in the picture? Oh, I see her now. Awwwwwwwwww. LOVE that she stayed put!!! And he left her alone!!!

"Here's a nice picture of them all just hanging around after they had some treats. Caspian even licked his for a second when I was giving treats! And they both got a treat for it lol" - Awwwwwww. The picture is PERFECT!!! Seriously are they the most ADORABLE!!! Look at those faces!!!!

"Pretty soon we'll be able to keep him out at night I think!" - Agreed

" Even when they do have the little jumps they often separate quickly so I'm not really worried. " - Agreed. IF there were issues you would not be seeing pictures like that, etc.

"Mostly don't want them playing or fighting on top of us in bed" - AGREED!!!

" or waking us up in the middle of the night!" - Well...................... that probably will happen. :/ They do like to play at night ............. :/

But it is a good "problem" to have I guess.

GREAT UPDATE!!!! :) Keep up the great work!!!

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still going well! We did have some of what appeared to be territorial aggression on the part of Bastian toward Splenda but nothing too bad. She was sleeping in Bastians bed near my husband (which shocked us. She's normally very much a mama's girl and skittish with him but she's started approaching him more and this day stayed in there with him for hours!) Bastian was napping with (and on) my husband for most if this time as they do, but after he woke up he wanted to go in his bed and there she was still asleep. He jumped on her and she held her ground. My husband had to pry him off and put him in a separate room for a few minutes. He did it again later cause she was still in his bed. Same thing, she stayed put and we separated.

A couple times Orion has chased him around hissing but it hasn't escalated past that and Bastian isn't scared at all just runs off and when he can jumps to higher ground. Orions very much a ground kitty so this works very well.

Last night though Orion and Bastian both chose to snuggle my husband at the same time! He sent me a picture when Orion joined them and I expected it to last only a minute but the both settled in and stayed put!

Splenda hanging out during nap time
20220103_170358.jpg

Orion and Bastian sharing space on purpose!
20220104_192937.jpg

Bastian and Caspian continue to play chase fairly often. Mostly it's Caspian chasing Bastian but I think that's how they both enjoy playing together. Bastian often runs away from his toys when he's playing lol

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh and one more cute one from when my husband caught Caspian and Bastian hanging out

received_323442062834213.jpeg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still going well! We did have some of what appeared to be territorial aggression on the part of Bastian toward Splenda but nothing too bad. She was sleeping in Bastians bed near my husband (which shocked us. She's normally very much a mama's girl and skittish with him but she's started approaching him more and this day stayed in there with him for hours!) Bastian was napping with (and on) my husband for most if this time as they do, but after he woke up he wanted to go in his bed and there she was still asleep. He jumped on her and she held her ground. My husband had to pry him off and put him in a separate room for a few minutes. He did it again later cause she was still in his bed. Same thing, she stayed put and we separated.

A couple times Orion has chased him around hissing but it hasn't escalated past that and Bastian isn't scared at all just runs off and when he can jumps to higher ground. Orions very much a ground kitty so this works very well.

Last night though Orion and Bastian both chose to snuggle my husband at the same time! He sent me a picture when Orion joined them and I expected it to last only a minute but the both settled in and stayed put!

Splenda hanging out during nap time
View attachment 406688

Orion and Bastian sharing space on purpose!
View attachment 406689

Bastian and Caspian continue to play chase fairly often. Mostly it's Caspian chasing Bastian but I think that's how they both enjoy playing together. Bastian often runs away from his toys when he's playing lol
"Still going well!" - Great

" We did have some of what appeared to be territorial aggression on the part of Bastian toward Splenda but nothing too bad." - Hmmmm, ok

" She was sleeping in Bastians bed near my husband (which shocked us. She's normally very much a mama's girl and skittish with him but she's started approaching him more and this day stayed in there with him for hours!) Bastian was napping with (and on) my husband for most if this time as they do, but after he woke up he wanted to go in his bed and there she was still asleep. He jumped on her and she held her ground. My husband had to pry him off and put him in a separate room for a few minutes. He did it again later cause she was still in his bed. Same thing, she stayed put and we separated." - Wow. I am impressed with her!! She doesn't seem to fear him.

"A couple times Orion has chased him around hissing but it hasn't escalated past that " - OK and great

"and Bastian isn't scared at all just runs off and when he can jumps to higher ground. Orions very much a ground kitty so this works very well." - GREAT!!!

"Last night though Orion and Bastian both chose to snuggle my husband at the same time! He sent me a picture when Orion joined them and I expected it to last only a minute but the both settled in and stayed put! " - WHAT?!?!?!?!? AWESOME!!!

Pic 1 - ADORABLE!!! Splenda is just fine. :)

Pic 2 - AMAZING!!! Body language is perfect. Bastian has no issue with Orion there!! Which tells me a lot about how he feels towards Orion. He trusts.

"Bastian and Caspian continue to play chase fairly often. Mostly it's Caspian chasing Bastian but I think that's how they both enjoy playing together. Bastian often runs away from his toys when he's playing lol" - Awwwww, yep, they are fine. :)

"Oh and one more cute one from when my husband caught Caspian and Bastian hanging out" - Look at how adorable they are!!! Yep, they are just fine. :)

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today I decided to see how they would do if I left them alone together. I left for less than an hour to cat sit and Bastian was laying in a patch of sunlight and I figured he would probably stay there. This is what I came home to

20220105_140627.jpg

So I assume everyone was fine while I was gone!

He did jump on Splenda again afterward probably trying to play but she yelped and I shouted and they separated with them both running out of the room different ways then he ran right back in the room being chased by Orion 😂 never in a million years did I think Orion would be defending Splenda but we sure are learning a lot about our cats with adding the new one!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I decided to see how they would do if I left them alone together. I left for less than an hour to cat sit and Bastian was laying in a patch of sunlight and I figured he would probably stay there. This is what I came home to

View attachment 406717

So I assume everyone was fine while I was gone!

He did jump on Splenda again afterward probably trying to play but she yelped and I shouted and they separated with them both running out of the room different ways then he ran right back in the room being chased by Orion 😂 never in a million years did I think Orion would be defending Splenda but we sure are learning a lot about our cats with adding the new one!
"Today I decided to see how they would do if I left them alone together. I left for less than an hour to cat sit and Bastian was laying in a patch of sunlight and I figured he would probably stay there. This is what I came home to" - The picture says it all!!! :)

"So I assume everyone was fine while I was gone! - Yep :)

"He did jump on Splenda again afterward probably trying to play" - Yep

" but she yelped and I shouted and they separated with them both running out of the room different ways" - That is fine

" then he ran right back in the room being chased by Orion 😂 never in a million years did I think Orion would be defending Splenda but we sure are learning a lot about our cats with adding the new one! " - Hahahahaha. yep!!!

Sounds good to me!!!

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So far everything is going well this week! I was tough disturbing Bastian last night to put him in for the night cause he was snuggling so sweetly with my sleeping husband. But now it's the weekend and that means...

Tonight's the night! He gets to stay out overnight with the rest of the kitties! We'll see how this impacts the overnight snuggle arrangement. Usually Orion goes back and forth between sleeping on my husband's legs and mine. Splenda may or may not curl up next to me. Last night Orion had moved from on top of my husband to downstairs before Bastian took his spot.

I'm excited! Also Splenda earlier this afternoon was her sassy self with Bastian. She's curled up next to me and he climbed on my lap to check out a sound coming from my phone. They touched noses nicely and she hissed but he wasn't being antagonistic. He just turned away and was walking off when she swatted at him. He pretty much ignored her.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far everything is going well this week! I was tough disturbing Bastian last night to put him in for the night cause he was snuggling so sweetly with my sleeping husband. But now it's the weekend and that means...

Tonight's the night! He gets to stay out overnight with the rest of the kitties! We'll see how this impacts the overnight snuggle arrangement. Usually Orion goes back and forth between sleeping on my husband's legs and mine. Splenda may or may not curl up next to me. Last night Orion had moved from on top of my husband to downstairs before Bastian took his spot.

I'm excited! Also Splenda earlier this afternoon was her sassy self with Bastian. She's curled up next to me and he climbed on my lap to check out a sound coming from my phone. They touched noses nicely and she hissed but he wasn't being antagonistic. He just turned away and was walking off when she swatted at him. He pretty much ignored her.
"So far everything is going well this week!" - Great!!!

" I was tough disturbing Bastian last night to put him in for the night cause he was snuggling so sweetly with my sleeping husband. But now it's the weekend and that means.." - Awwwwwww, I am sure he was not happy. :/.

"Tonight's the night! He gets to stay out overnight with the rest of the kitties! We'll see how this impacts the overnight snuggle arrangement." - YES!!!! :)

Usually Orion goes back and forth between sleeping on my husband's legs and mine. Splenda may or may not curl up next to me." - Awwwwwwwww

"Last night Orion had moved from on top of my husband to downstairs before Bastian took his spot." - So cute!!!

"I'm excited! " - Me too!!

"Also Splenda earlier this afternoon was her sassy self with Bastian. She's curled up next to me and he climbed on my lap to check out a sound coming from my phone. They touched noses nicely and she hissed but he wasn't being antagonistic. He just turned away and was walking off when she swatted at him." - Awwwwwwwww

" He pretty much ignored her. " - LOVE IT!!!! :)

I can't wait to hear how it goes. :)

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It went pretty well! As best I can tell anyways. We got woken up at like 6ish in the morning by a tussle downstairs but it wasn't Bastian, he was relaxing on the cat tree in our room. I did find a couple tufts of dark fur that seems like Caspians in the upstairs hall but neither of us woke up to anything else so who knows what was up with that but nobody is acting weird today so nothing too bad. And Orion and Bastian both snuggled my husband last night some and me some too :)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It went pretty well! As best I can tell anyways. We got woken up at like 6ish in the morning by a tussle downstairs but it wasn't Bastian, he was relaxing on the cat tree in our room. I did find a couple tufts of dark fur that seems like Caspians in the upstairs hall but neither of us woke up to anything else so who knows what was up with that but nobody is acting weird today so nothing too bad. And Orion and Bastian both snuggled my husband last night some and me some too :)
"It went pretty well! As best I can tell anyways." - Great

" We got woken up at like 6ish in the morning by a tussle downstairs but it wasn't Bastian, he was relaxing on the cat tree in our room." - Great it wasn't Bastian involved. Tussles in the morning (dawn) are pretty common as it is time of pent up energy, time to hunt, etc.

" I did find a couple tufts of dark fur that seems like Caspians in the upstairs hall" - Interesting, couldn't have been that bad.

"but neither of us woke up to anything else so who knows what was up with that but nobody is acting weird today so nothing too bad." - Great. If they are fine after whatever might have happened wasn't that bad and was gotten over quickly.

" And Orion and Bastian both snuggled my husband last night some and me some too :)" - Awwwwwwwww. PERFECT!!!!!

What a great update!!! Thanks!!

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well things are still going well! They've had their moments and one night my husband did put Bastian back in his room cause Orion was harassing him in the middle of the night but no major issues. They tolerate each other pretty well at night most of the time, both preferring to snuggle with us in bed.

20220116_073958.jpg

20220111_222941.jpg

20220110_085411.jpg

We were also finally able to get them another cat tree! Costco had the nice solid kind for a good price. Unsurprisingly Bastian seems to like it most, since he loves being up high and looking put windows.

20220114_174420.jpg

20220114_174300.jpg

Still working on our manners a bit
20220112_145512.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well things are still going well! They've had their moments and one night my husband did put Bastian back in his room cause Orion was harassing him in the middle of the night but no major issues. They tolerate each other pretty well at night most of the time, both preferring to snuggle with us in bed.

View attachment 407838
View attachment 407851
View attachment 407854

We were also finally able to get them another cat tree! Costco had the nice solid kind for a good price. Unsurprisingly Bastian seems to like it most, since he loves being up high and looking put windows.

View attachment 407848
View attachment 407850

Still working on our manners a bit
View attachment 407853
"Well things are still going well!" - GREAT though not surprising.

"They've had their moments and one night my husband did put Bastian back in his room cause Orion was harassing him in the middle of the night but no major issues." - Ok, not surprising.

" They tolerate each other pretty well at night most of the time, both preferring to snuggle with us in bed." - Great. Those pictures are ADORABLE!!! I think they are just fine. Sure they might have a disagreement at times but sleeping like that tells me they are just fine. :) MY goodness are they gorgeous!!!

"We were also finally able to get them another cat tree! Costco had the nice solid kind for a good price." - Great

" Unsurprisingly Bastian seems to like it most, since he loves being up high and looking put windows." - YES!!! Terrific!!!

Look at Splenda!!! ON the top!!! :)

"Still working on our manners a bit" - Hahaha, yep, boys....................... Poor Splenda but I don't think she minds too much ;) Look at Orion watching.

Where is Caspian during all of this?

Thanks for the great update!!!

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Splenda was definitely on top because I grabbed her and put her there and then Bastian jumped up and she was trying to plan how best to jump down without touching him on the way.
Caspians just... around! He still chases Bastian around sometimes. Or hangs out nearby him and follows him but not all the time. He and Splenda have been getting along lately though!
20220115_200240.jpg

IMG_20220113_205644_842.jpg

20220111_212553.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Splenda was definitely on top because I grabbed her and put her there and then Bastian jumped up and she was trying to plan how best to jump down without touching him on the way.
Caspians just... around! He still chases Bastian around sometimes. Or hangs out nearby him and follows him but not all the time. He and Splenda have been getting along lately though!
View attachment 407895
View attachment 407896
View attachment 407897
"Splenda was definitely on top because I grabbed her and put her there" - Ahhhhhhhhhh

" and then Bastian jumped up and she was trying to plan how best to jump down without touching him on the way." - Ok. She looked good in the pic.

"Caspians just... around! He still chases Bastian around sometimes. Or hangs out nearby him and follows him but not all the time." - Awwwwwwwwww

" He and Splenda have been getting along lately though! " - GREAT!!!

Those pictures are AMAZING!!! The first one is SO ADORABLE!!!! Splenda looks SO CUTE!!!! 😍

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Been a while! Figured I'd post an update. Things are going mostly good though Bastian still likes to jump on Splenda and he and Caspian get into the occasional tussle. There was one incident where he frightened Splenda so much she peed on the couch :( so we kept him in his room overnight for a few nights to give them more space but for the most part she's fine, doesn't act scared of him or avoid him so we mostly just keep a close eye and only intervene if he just won't stop. Sometimes Orion or Caspian will chase after him to get him away from her.

So yeah some not the best moments but nothing too major. Some days I wake up covered in all the cats which is nice! And every so often the boys play with each other nicely which is also nice.

20220220_172824.jpg

20220221_004243.jpg

20220308_101616.jpg

20220215_101644.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been a while! Figured I'd post an update. Things are going mostly good though Bastian still likes to jump on Splenda and he and Caspian get into the occasional tussle. There was one incident where he frightened Splenda so much she peed on the couch :( so we kept him in his room overnight for a few nights to give them more space but for the most part she's fine, doesn't act scared of him or avoid him so we mostly just keep a close eye and only intervene if he just won't stop. Sometimes Orion or Caspian will chase after him to get him away from her.

So yeah some not the best moments but nothing too major. Some days I wake up covered in all the cats which is nice! And every so often the boys play with each other nicely which is also nice.

View attachment 413203
View attachment 413206
View attachment 413207
View attachment 413208
OH MY GOODNESS!!! What GORGEOUS pictures!!! I LOVE the look in the first picture!!! Then the playing in picture 2. Picture 3 suggests all is well!! Best friends!!! :) Picture 4, what can I say????? PERFECTION!!!! :redheartpump: Those are cats that are just fine!!! :itslove::hyper::clap2:

"Been a while! " - Great to hear from you!!!

"Figured I'd post an update." - Yes!!! :)

"Things are going mostly good" - GREAT!!! I figured.

" though Bastian still likes to jump on Splenda" - Yes. Play I suspect?

" and he and Caspian get into the occasional tussle." - Yes. Boys. :/ As long as they get over it quickly and resolve it then it is not a worry.

"There was one incident where he frightened Splenda so much she peed on the couch :( " - Awwwww, POOR Splenda. :( That can happen. That happened with my newest a few years ago after they were intro'd. She was going into my boy's territory, he ambushed her and she was so scared she peed on the bed. :( It can happen. The key is to make those positive associations and positive encounters after it.

Did you see exactly what happened? How he scared her? I can't believe he meant any harm to her.

"so we kept him in his room overnight for a few nights to give them more space" - Ok. How did he handle that? It can be a challenge as we want to be careful "taking" territory away BUT we want to keep them from a negative encounter.

" but for the most part she's fine, doesn't act scared of him or avoid him " - GREAT!!! How thy act after is the key. SO I am guessing it was an unfortunate encounter rather than something systemic.

"so we mostly just keep a close eye and only intervene if he just won't stop." - Excellent. Well done!!

" Sometimes Orion or Caspian will chase after him to get him away from her." - Yes. Feel free to help de-escalate by using calm, confident words, etc.

"So yeah some not the best moments but nothing too major." - Yes. IF there were issues they would build and build and we would have plenty of time to intervene.

" Some days I wake up covered in all the cats which is nice! " - AWWWWWWWWW!!!! Isn't it wonderful?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :redheartpump: Is Bastian always a part of it? The picture of them all together tells us ALL IS WELL!!!! GORGEOUS picture!!!

"And every so often the boys play with each other nicely which is also nice. " - Yes, it really is and a great sign.

A lot of cats get "into it" at times. Like humans. The key is how they rebound and try to make sure no lingering issues persist so make those positive associations and positive encounters.

My inside cats are pretty good but they get annoyed at each other at times but they get over it quickly since they have a great base of trust and respect and love to each other. My ferals RALLY get into it, REALLY rough (the boys) but they too get over it quickly and then are rubbing. So the base of trust, respect, love overcomes those disagreements or redirection etc. They are very much like humans, we can really get upset but our love helps us forgive and forget.

Great to hear from you. Sounds like all is going well, nothing worrisome just normal multi-cat household stuff. BUT if you ever need anything please let us know. Thanks for the great update and the GORGEOUS pictures!!