Another cat introduction thread!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trying this weekend to get in more face to face time. Bastian was in his room on my husband's lap and I opened the door to allow Caspian to go in if he wanted and at first he didn't but Splenda ran over and they both came in. They weren't in his room long, less than 5 minutes, but it went fine! Caspian used his litter box with no issues. Most of the time Bastian stayed on my husband's lap and after he jumped down he didn't go right for the other cats. He did crouch down like he was stalking Splenda a little so I blocked his sight of her which worked just fine then she and Cas sauntered out of his room and I closed the door behind them then gave treats to Bastian and Caspian on either side of the gate (Splenda wandered off and isn't big on treats anyways.)

Not a long encounter but the two chose to go in his room with him and chose when to leave and everyone was fine so yay!
"Trying this weekend to get in more face to face time." - Great

" Bastian was in his room on my husband's lap and I opened the door to allow Caspian to go in if he wanted and at first he didn't but Splenda ran over and they both came in." - Wow, great.

"They weren't in his room long, less than 5 minutes, but it went fine!" - That is fine, quality over quantity. SO BAstian accepted them in "his" territory? WOW!!! GREAT!!!

"Caspian used his litter box with no issues." - Used Bastian's litter box?

" Most of the time Bastian stayed on my husband's lap and after he jumped down he didn't go right for the other cats." - Great

" He did crouch down like he was stalking Splenda a little so I blocked his sight of her which worked just fine then she and Cas sauntered out of his room" - Perfect, GREAT job distracting and keeping it positive.

" and I closed the door behind them then gave treats to Bastian and Caspian on either side of the gate (Splenda wandered off and isn't big on treats anyways.)" - Perfect. Positive association after a positive encounter.

"Not a long encounter but the two chose to go in his room with him and chose when to leave and everyone was fine so yay! " - FANTASTIC!!!

"Ended up letting Bastian out for a bit." - Great

" He played mostly while Orion " - WOW!!! GREAT!!!

"and Splenda hung out on the couch and Caspian went between watching him and going in his (Bastian's) room." - Great

" Caspian started to approach him so I brought out the treats and Orion and even Splenda decided to join to get some!" - FANTASTIC!!!

" Bastian put himself back in his room after I put the treats away" - Really? Wow. How was his body language walking back to his room?

" then Splenda went to sniff him and he pounced on her 🙄 " - What kind of pounce? Play or a bit annoyed? I am guessing a bit annoyed.

"so my husband pulled him off and Splenda ran off but didn't actually hide! " - Great. How soon until Splenda went back to acting "normal"?

"Then we closed Bash back in his room." - Ok. Did anyone hang out with him?

1st picture - Fantastic!!! Great body language. My goodness they are GORGEOUS!!

2nd Picture - Yep, that will cause a pounce. :/

How they act after is the key.

"Not perfect but nobody is hurt and nobody seems scared. " - GREAT!!! The key is no one is hurt and no one is acting scared. SO that tells me it wasn't a big deal.

What did the other cats do during this?

"I think it's going to take some time for him to learn by trying that the other cats don't like him doing that." - Yes. Well, ,he is also still a bit cautious (seems he does have a bit of an issue with Splenda but nothing major).

"About to do lunch with them together which I expect to go fine as usual." - Great. Let me know. And let me know if you sense any changes in any of the cats. Just keep doing positive associations and making those positive encounters trying to minimize or avoid negatives.

Great job. All is going really well. :) Keep up the great work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Splenda was just fine as soon as I checked on her. Lunch went just fine as planned with them together and everything maybe 15 minutes after the skirmish with Splenda. Nobody acted any different, she didn't act scared of him at all even when he walked right past her while she ate. Yes, Caspian used Bastians litter box while he was in his room. Just wanted to clear up it seems it was taken that Bastian was playing with Orion, he was not, Orion was with Splenda in the other room. As much as they seem to dislike each other we sure do find them right next to each other often 🤣

Just had another good but short face to face time. Bastian and Orion had walked away from their food, Orion was directly approaching Bastian at first which I stopped. They were starting a stare down after that and I was able to distract them both, then grabbed some treats and they and Caspian got a few. Splenda was still eating her food, we did have to block Bastian from watching her at one point but he was easily redirected. We put Caspian and Splenda with their food in Bastian's room after that while Orion hung out in the family room and my husband held Bastian in another room, afterwards Bastian went upstairs (after making a nasty gash on my husband's finger accidentally cause I dropped something and he's startled by noises) and when Bastian came back downstairs Orion was looking for his food which was in Bastian's room so I put him in there. Not a ton of actual face to face but no jumping on anyone so yay!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Splenda was just fine as soon as I checked on her. Lunch went just fine as planned with them together and everything maybe 15 minutes after the skirmish with Splenda. Nobody acted any different, she didn't act scared of him at all even when he walked right past her while she ate. Yes, Caspian used Bastians litter box while he was in his room. Just wanted to clear up it seems it was taken that Bastian was playing with Orion, he was not, Orion was with Splenda in the other room. As much as they seem to dislike each other we sure do find them right next to each other often 🤣

Just had another good but short face to face time. Bastian and Orion had walked away from their food, Orion was directly approaching Bastian at first which I stopped. They were starting a stare down after that and I was able to distract them both, then grabbed some treats and they and Caspian got a few. Splenda was still eating her food, we did have to block Bastian from watching her at one point but he was easily redirected. We put Caspian and Splenda with their food in Bastian's room after that while Orion hung out in the family room and my husband held Bastian in another room, afterwards Bastian went upstairs (after making a nasty gash on my husband's finger accidentally cause I dropped something and he's startled by noises) and when Bastian came back downstairs Orion was looking for his food which was in Bastian's room so I put him in there. Not a ton of actual face to face but no jumping on anyone so yay!
"Splenda was just fine as soon as I checked on her. " - Great. Fantastic sign.

"Lunch went just fine as planned with them together and everything maybe 15 minutes after the skirmish with Splenda. Nobody acted any different, she didn't act scared of him at all even when he walked right past her while she ate." - GREAT!!!

"Yes, Caspian used Bastians litter box while he was in his room." - Wow and Bastian accepted it? Fantastic!!

" Just wanted to clear up it seems it was taken that Bastian was playing with Orion, he was not, Orion was with Splenda in the other room. As much as they seem to dislike each other we sure do find them right next to each other often 🤣" - Ok, that is fine.

"Just had another good but short face to face time." - Great

" Bastian and Orion had walked away from their food, Orion was directly approaching Bastian at first which I stopped. They were starting a stare down after that and I was able to distract them both, then grabbed some treats and they and Caspian got a few." - Great, really great job handling it.

" Splenda was still eating her food, we did have to block Bastian from watching her at one point but he was easily redirected. " - Terrific

"We put Caspian and Splenda with their food in Bastian's room after that " - Good job

"while Orion hung out in the family room and my husband held Bastian in another room," - Good job

" afterwards Bastian went upstairs (after making a nasty gash on my husband's finger accidentally cause I dropped something and he's startled by noises) " - :/ That will happen but it is not intentional.

"and when Bastian came back downstairs Orion was looking for his food which was in Bastian's room so I put him in there." - Perfect

" Not a ton of actual face to face but no jumping on anyone so yay! " - Sounds terrific. I am not reading anything negative.

Keep up the great work, you are doing fantastically!!!

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've been trying our best to do more face to face time outside of meals the past week. Hasn't been a ton but a few days ago we had them all out in the house for about 15 minutes together. There were a couple times we had to block Bastian's view of the other cats and Splenda ended up slinking under the couch with us blocking him from jumping on her. She ended up sneaking away to another room. Caspian just watched him from a distance and we kept a close eye on him and Orion. Nothing negative it all went quite well I'd say.

20211202_131022.jpg

20211202_131046.jpg

20211202_131217.jpg

20211202_131519.jpg

20211202_131627.jpg

Today I had Bastian out for about 5 minutes (I was brave and was the only one home. I like to let them together when we're both home since there's do many cats to keep track of!) Bastian and Caspian sniffed faces briefly and when Bastian lifted his paw a little I blocked his view and moved him along. I don't remember who sniffed who with Orion I think it was Orion who sniffed Bastians rear. Again kept a close eye and blocked with the cardboard and guided Bastian in another direction. He went to look out the window in the kitchen and Splenda insisted on coming over cause she heard me talking to him. I used the cardboard to block his sight of her on and off but she was DETERMINED to check him out so they sniffed which was OK then when she went to walk off to another room he wanted to chase her and I had to stop him, stupidly by putting my hand on his back but he's a good kitty and getting his biting under control so even though he turned his head to nip he stopped himself. I used the cardboard to keep him from going in the room she had gone into, guided him the other way and attempted but failed to get him interested in a toy. After that I put him back in his room.

He's also had some times on the couch with us. One time I had him and Splenda jumped up nearly in top of him to get in my lap. She clearly has zero fear of him. And tonight he snuggled with my husband while she snuggled with me.

I occasionally wonder if I should allow him to chase her and let her decide for herself if she doesn't like it. She's definitely not shy about letting her feelings known to the other cats when they're in her space, we're just nervous since he's so much bigger and stronger than her.

On another positive note I can now firmly say Bastians poo is almost entirely normal! Some days we get a little softness but I've been waking up to finding perfectly normal poo in his box. He's on entirely grain free food now and we're fading out the pumpkin. I've started giving him small amounts of food with fish oil but no fish protein to see if that's OK for him and so far so good. I was going off the theory that he had a seafood allergy but with the drastic change happening after removing grains I suspect that seafood is OK after all but still trying it out slowly to be sure. Tonight he and Splenda had the same food and he practically inhaled his! He did very nicely with the meal, too, Splenda had gone to use the litter box and he didn't rush to eat her food nor did he bother Caspian or Orion who were eating between him and Splenda's bowl.

We've also put up our Christmas tree and predictably he is THAT cat. I can't leave him unsupervised with the tree cause he chews on it. I'm sure it will be even more of a challenge once it's decorated. The other cats have never been an issue with the tree they prefer to make themselves into fluffy presents under it.
20211204_165057.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been trying our best to do more face to face time outside of meals the past week. Hasn't been a ton but a few days ago we had them all out in the house for about 15 minutes together. There were a couple times we had to block Bastian's view of the other cats and Splenda ended up slinking under the couch with us blocking him from jumping on her. She ended up sneaking away to another room. Caspian just watched him from a distance and we kept a close eye on him and Orion. Nothing negative it all went quite well I'd say.

View attachment 403591
View attachment 403592
View attachment 403593
View attachment 403594
View attachment 403595

Today I had Bastian out for about 5 minutes (I was brave and was the only one home. I like to let them together when we're both home since there's do many cats to keep track of!) Bastian and Caspian sniffed faces briefly and when Bastian lifted his paw a little I blocked his view and moved him along. I don't remember who sniffed who with Orion I think it was Orion who sniffed Bastians rear. Again kept a close eye and blocked with the cardboard and guided Bastian in another direction. He went to look out the window in the kitchen and Splenda insisted on coming over cause she heard me talking to him. I used the cardboard to block his sight of her on and off but she was DETERMINED to check him out so they sniffed which was OK then when she went to walk off to another room he wanted to chase her and I had to stop him, stupidly by putting my hand on his back but he's a good kitty and getting his biting under control so even though he turned his head to nip he stopped himself. I used the cardboard to keep him from going in the room she had gone into, guided him the other way and attempted but failed to get him interested in a toy. After that I put him back in his room.

He's also had some times on the couch with us. One time I had him and Splenda jumped up nearly in top of him to get in my lap. She clearly has zero fear of him. And tonight he snuggled with my husband while she snuggled with me.

I occasionally wonder if I should allow him to chase her and let her decide for herself if she doesn't like it. She's definitely not shy about letting her feelings known to the other cats when they're in her space, we're just nervous since he's so much bigger and stronger than her.

On another positive note I can now firmly say Bastians poo is almost entirely normal! Some days we get a little softness but I've been waking up to finding perfectly normal poo in his box. He's on entirely grain free food now and we're fading out the pumpkin. I've started giving him small amounts of food with fish oil but no fish protein to see if that's OK for him and so far so good. I was going off the theory that he had a seafood allergy but with the drastic change happening after removing grains I suspect that seafood is OK after all but still trying it out slowly to be sure. Tonight he and Splenda had the same food and he practically inhaled his! He did very nicely with the meal, too, Splenda had gone to use the litter box and he didn't rush to eat her food nor did he bother Caspian or Orion who were eating between him and Splenda's bowl.

We've also put up our Christmas tree and predictably he is THAT cat. I can't leave him unsupervised with the tree cause he chews on it. I'm sure it will be even more of a challenge once it's decorated. The other cats have never been an issue with the tree they prefer to make themselves into fluffy presents under it.
View attachment 403598
"We've been trying our best to do more face to face time outside of meals the past week." - Great

" Hasn't been a ton but a few days ago we had them all out in the house for about 15 minutes together. " - Great

"There were a couple times we had to block Bastian's view of the other cats and Splenda ended up slinking under the couch with us blocking him from jumping on her. She ended up sneaking away to another room." - Ok, that will happen but as long as nothing really negative happened it is fine.

" Caspian just watched him from a distance and we kept a close eye on him and Orion. Nothing negative it all went quite well I'd say." - Great

The pics look great. The last one looked a touch tense so reassure them (talk to Bastian, reassure, use words to get him to look away to diffuse any tension, etc). But overall, body language looks really good.

"Today I had Bastian out for about 5 minutes (I was brave and was the only one home. I like to let them together when we're both home since there's do many cats to keep track of!) " - You are brave!!! :)

"Bastian and Caspian sniffed faces briefly and when Bastian lifted his paw a little I blocked his view and moved him along. " - Ok, use words with Bastian as well. But good job.

"I don't remember who sniffed who with Orion I think it was Orion who sniffed Bastians rear. Again kept a close eye and blocked with the cardboard and guided Bastian in another direction. " - Ok, good job

"He went to look out the window in the kitchen and Splenda insisted on coming over cause she heard me talking to him." - Great he went to look out of the window. Interesting Splenda came over.

" I used the cardboard to block his sight of her on and off but she was DETERMINED to check him out so they sniffed which was OK" - Great

" then when she went to walk off to another room he wanted to chase her" - Ok, play chase?

" and I had to stop him, stupidly by putting my hand on his back but he's a good kitty and getting his biting under control so even though he turned his head to nip he stopped himself." - Ok, yes, be careful but great he doesn't want to bite. I wonder if he thought it was another cat.

" I used the cardboard to keep him from going in the room she had gone into, guided him the other way and attempted but failed to get him interested in a toy. After that I put him back in his room." - Ok, good job.

"He's also had some times on the couch with us. " - Awwwww, terrific.

"One time I had him and Splenda jumped up nearly in top of him to get in my lap. She clearly has zero fear of him. And tonight he snuggled with my husband while she snuggled with me." - Wow, fantastic. Are you surprised Splenda is like that with him? I find that interesting. Fantastic, well done!!

"I occasionally wonder if I should allow him to chase her and let her decide for herself if she doesn't like it. She's definitely not shy about letting her feelings known to the other cats when they're in her space, we're just nervous since he's so much bigger and stronger than her." - Well, this is always the issue. Trying to figure out if the cat that is chased is confident enough to withstand it. I would probably give it a bit more time. I am working on another situation (different than yours by a lot but still) where a chase has set us back a bit. I still in my mind see Splenda as lacking a bit of confidence. So I am a bit cautious. But I trust your instincts. So let me know when you feel more confident about letting them do that.

"On another positive note I can now firmly say Bastians poo is almost entirely normal! Some days we get a little softness but I've been waking up to finding perfectly normal poo in his box. He's on entirely grain free food now and we're fading out the pumpkin. I've started giving him small amounts of food with fish oil but no fish protein to see if that's OK for him and so far so good. I was going off the theory that he had a seafood allergy but with the drastic change happening after removing grains I suspect that seafood is OK after all but still trying it out slowly to be sure." - TERRIFIC!!!

"Tonight he and Splenda had the same food and he practically inhaled his! He did very nicely with the meal, too, Splenda had gone to use the litter box and he didn't rush to eat her food nor did he bother Caspian or Orion who were eating between him and Splenda's bowl." - FANTASTIC!!!

"We've also put up our Christmas tree and predictably he is THAT cat. I can't leave him unsupervised with the tree cause he chews on it. I'm sure it will be even more of a challenge once it's decorated. The other cats have never been an issue with the tree they prefer to make themselves into fluffy presents under it. " - :( Ughhhhhhhhhh, Yep, be very careful. It can be very dangerous as you are obviously aware. :(

Awwwww, so cute they are fluffy presents!!!! :)

Great job!!! Keep it up.

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been checking the other intro threads intermittently and noticed where there was the chase. I was thinking about it though and since Splenda recovered almost immediately the last time he jumped on her and she doesn't act remotely scared of him the majority of the time I figured it's unlikely to cause a major issue.

I just let him out again for 5 minutes. He again jumped on Splenda but they separated pretty quickly. I did end up putting him back in his room primarily because Orion was flanking him from behind when Splenda was telling him to back off and I didn't want things to escalate there. He did get some of her fur but she's not hurt and calmed down quickly.

Here's some pictures leading up to it.

20211207_144327.jpg

20211207_144328.jpg

20211207_144421.jpg

20211207_144455.jpg

20211207_150338.jpg

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After my husband came home we let Bastian out again. Splenda both ran away from him and approached him at various times. He did chase her where she jumped up on the back of the couch but he stayed on the floor. He did jump on Orion which my husband separated them after a couple second. Orion held his ground on the couch afterwards. Then I started getting their food ready and they did just fine! Orion stayed put on the couch and Caspian and Splenda hung out begging in the kitchen with Bastian coming in and out of the kitchen and they were just fine together then they had their meal together and the only difference was Orion stayed put on the couch but when my husband brought him over he ate just fine.

Still not thrilled at Orion getting jumped on but they both seem to be fine. Going to keep an eye on how Orion reacts going forward but I think him not coming for food was more him staking his claim on the couch. He had bullied Splenda out of that spot earlier and hadn't moved since including when Bastian jumped on him.

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Apparently we're going all in on the face to face time today! My husband let Bastian out again and this time there were NO dust-ups :) Splenda and Orion were (and still are) occupying the much beloved spot on the couch where all the fights have happened today (including twice with Orion bullying Splenda away) and Bastian looked at them but make good choices and didn't harass them.
20211207_183610.jpg

20211207_183629.jpg

They stayed on the couch the whole time while Bastian and Caspian took turns following each other around and Bastian spent some time on the kitchen table. At one point Caspian went in to Bastians room at least partly to look for crumbs in Bastians empty food bowl. I opened the bathroom doors so there would be multiple ways in and out of the room when Bastian started going in too. It was fine! When I opened the door between the bathroom and Bastians room he rushed right past Caspian into the bathroom. They both went out into the hall at the same time through separate doors and turned to find each other 😂 but they did just fine! I walked away to start cooking dinner and Caspian followed me and Bastian ended up going back in his room again so my husband shut the door behind him then gave him and Caspian a lickable treat in either side of the gate.

Perhaps Bastian is getting the hint not to jump on the other cats after all. We will see!

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband let him out again 🤣 when I was getting their night time meal ready. No issues there again. Orion watched him from the family room and I think they got near each other once without an issue. Caspian and Splenda again were mostly begging in the kitchen and Bastian was wandering about.

I don't like that Orion again did not go to the food when it was put out. He ate fine when my husband put him in front of his bowl but I'd like him to feel comfortable going on his own. Most of the time when we feed them together the 3 get their food then we open the door for Bastian to come join them so Orion is already eating before Bastian comes out which I'm sure makes a difference.

It's a little soon to say Bastian has learned not to jump on his brothers and sister but it does feel like we made progress.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been checking the other intro threads intermittently and noticed where there was the chase. I was thinking about it though and since Splenda recovered almost immediately the last time he jumped on her and she doesn't act remotely scared of him the majority of the time I figured it's unlikely to cause a major issue.

I just let him out again for 5 minutes. He again jumped on Splenda but they separated pretty quickly. I did end up putting him back in his room primarily because Orion was flanking him from behind when Splenda was telling him to back off and I didn't want things to escalate there. He did get some of her fur but she's not hurt and calmed down quickly.

Here's some pictures leading up to it.

View attachment 403658
View attachment 403659
View attachment 403660

View attachment 403661
View attachment 403663
"I've been checking the other intro threads intermittently and noticed where there was the chase. I was thinking about it though and since Splenda recovered almost immediately the last time he jumped on her and she doesn't act remotely scared of him the majority of the time I figured it's unlikely to cause a major issue." - Yes, a fast rebound is a great sign. It tells us that the cat that is jumped on didn't think it was really an issue.

"I just let him out again for 5 minutes." - Ok

" He again jumped on Splenda " - Does it look like play?

"but they separated pretty quickly." - Ok, good.

" I did end up putting him back in his room primarily because Orion was flanking him from behind when Splenda was telling him to back off and I didn't want things to escalate there." - Ok. So Splenda did stand up to him? Good job stopping it before it escalates.

" He did get some of her fur but she's not hurt and calmed down quickly." - Ok, that can happen. Great she did rebound back to normal quickly.

"Here's some pictures leading up to it." - Hard to tell but it looks like it wasn't too serious. Body language looks fine, not aggressive.

"After my husband came home we let Bastian out again." - Ok

" Splenda both ran away from him and approached him at various times." - Interesting. When that happens just take it slow to build the trust.

" He did chase her where she jumped up on the back of the couch but he stayed on the floor." - Ok, did he look a touch aggressive? How did she react?

" He did jump on Orion which my husband separated them after a couple second. Orion held his ground on the couch afterwards." - Ok, was it play or something more? Good that Orion held his ground.

" Then I started getting their food ready and they did just fine! Orion stayed put on the couch and Caspian and Splenda hung out begging in the kitchen with Bastian coming in and out of the kitchen and they were just fine together then they had their meal together and the only difference was Orion stayed put on the couch but when my husband brought him over he ate just fine." - THAT IS GREAT!!! So it isn't that serious.

"Still not thrilled at Orion getting jumped on" - Yes but it depends on the intent. Play or aggression and how they act after.

" but they both seem to be fine." - Great. It might have shaken Orion a touch but doesn't sound bad.

" Going to keep an eye on how Orion reacts going forward" - Yes, exactly.

" but I think him not coming for food was more him staking his claim on the couch. He had bullied Splenda out of that spot earlier and hadn't moved since including when Bastian jumped on him. " - Ok. Sounds better.

"Apparently we're going all in on the face to face time today!" - Interesting.

" My husband let Bastian out again and this time there were NO dust-ups :) Splenda and Orion were (and still are) occupying the much beloved spot on the couch where all the fights have happened today (including twice with Orion bullying Splenda away) and Bastian looked at them but make good choices and didn't harass them." - GREAT!!!!! Maybe they worked it out!!! The decision to let them interact again was a good one.

The pics look GREAT!!!

"They stayed on the couch the whole time while Bastian and Caspian took turns following each other around and Bastian spent some time on the kitchen table." - Great

" At one point Caspian went in to Bastians room at least partly to look for crumbs in Bastians empty food bowl. I opened the bathroom doors so there would be multiple ways in and out of the room when Bastian started going in too. It was fine! " - Fantastic.

"When I opened the door between the bathroom and Bastians room he rushed right past Caspian into the bathroom. They both went out into the hall at the same time through separate doors and turned to find each other 😂 but they did just fine! I walked away to start cooking dinner and Caspian followed me and Bastian ended up going back in his room again so my husband shut the door behind him then gave him and Caspian a lickable treat in either side of the gate." - FANTASTIC!!!

Bastian wanted to play I suspect (with the pouncing). I think the cats are telling us that.

"Perhaps Bastian is getting the hint not to jump on the other cats after all. We will see! " - Hahahaha, well, we will see. It is fun for a cat to pounce on another. ;)

"My husband let him out again 🤣 when I was getting their night time meal ready." - Oh my. He is not faint of heart.

" No issues there again." AMAZING!!!

" Orion watched him from the family room and I think they got near each other once without an issue. Caspian and Splenda again were mostly begging in the kitchen and Bastian was wandering about." - TERRIFIC!!!

"I don't like that Orion again did not go to the food when it was put out." - Yes but he will come around in time as long as things remain positive.

" He ate fine when my husband put him in front of his bowl but I'd like him to feel comfortable going on his own." - Yes. Bastian maybe made him think a touch. But as long as Bastian behaves Orion will come around.

" Most of the time when we feed them together the 3 get their food then we open the door for Bastian to come join them so Orion is already eating before Bastian comes out which I'm sure makes a difference." - Ok, good to know. Change can cause some issues.

"It's a little soon to say Bastian has learned not to jump on his brothers and sister but it does feel like we made progress. " - Agreed. It seems like the resident cats realize it is play and not a threat.

Well, I would say that is overwhelmingly positive. Let's keep an eye on them. Keep doing what you are doing, I am not sure I would push too much, keep it positive. But it sure feels good at the moment. :) I think a big step forward in progress happened which is great. :)

Keep up the great work!!

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband let him out again after he got home this afternoon and I didn't even realize it until I heard a grumbly cat in the other room and just assumed it was one of the other 3. It was Orion hissing and swatting in Bastian's direction which didn't escalate. My husband distracted Bastian and moved him away. Caspian ran after him up the stairs at one point and he postured but nothing beyond that and I guess he ran after Splenda but DID stop on his own without actually jumping on her. So great that they had the chance to communicate and he didn't jump on anyone. Seems like definite progress is being made this week, we should have done this sooner but just didn't have the energy or time.

I didn't have him out when I got their meals ready yet today, Orion came for his meals as usual even the meal Bastian joined them for after their food was put down. May see what happens for their night meal if Bastian is out when we're getting that ready.

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another good visit before their night time meal! The older boys both get medicine every night. With treats of course so Splenda sometimes also gets treats when she's nearby. Poor Bastian was looking out his gate like "what about me??" So I let him out and he rushed right over to my husband with the treats and didn't harass the other cats. I started getting their dinner ready and we didn't even have to follow him around he still didn't bother the other cats. When I put their food down Orion did take his time coming over but ended up approaching on his own, I just had to put his bowl a little farther from Bastian before he would start eating which was OK. I moved Bastian back into his room once Caspian was done with his wet food since he was going to start stealing Bastians food at that point.

Yay for more progress! If they keep their somewhat tense but not eventful face to face times going like this then soon Bastian will be able to be out much more since we won't need to be supervising as closely.

20211208_203227.jpg

20211208_203246.jpg

20211208_204749.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband let him out again after he got home this afternoon and I didn't even realize it until I heard a grumbly cat in the other room and just assumed it was one of the other 3. It was Orion hissing and swatting in Bastian's direction which didn't escalate. My husband distracted Bastian and moved him away. Caspian ran after him up the stairs at one point and he postured but nothing beyond that and I guess he ran after Splenda but DID stop on his own without actually jumping on her. So great that they had the chance to communicate and he didn't jump on anyone. Seems like definite progress is being made this week, we should have done this sooner but just didn't have the energy or time.

I didn't have him out when I got their meals ready yet today, Orion came for his meals as usual even the meal Bastian joined them for after their food was put down. May see what happens for their night meal if Bastian is out when we're getting that ready.
"My husband let him out again after he got home this afternoon and I didn't even realize it until I heard a grumbly cat in the other room and just assumed it was one of the other 3." - Ok

" It was Orion hissing and swatting in Bastian's direction which didn't escalate." - Great it didn't escalate.

"My husband distracted Bastian and moved him away." - Good job

" Caspian ran after him up the stairs at one point and he postured but nothing beyond that" - Interesting. Great it didn't escalate

" and I guess he ran after Splenda but DID stop on his own without actually jumping on her." - Wow, great.

" So great that they had the chance to communicate and he didn't jump on anyone. Seems like definite progress is being made this week, we should have done this sooner but just didn't have the energy or time." - Great. They are working things out it seems.

"I didn't have him out when I got their meals ready yet today, Orion came for his meals as usual even the meal Bastian joined them for after their food was put down. May see what happens for their night meal if Bastian is out when we're getting that ready. " - Great

"Another good visit before their night time meal!" - Great

" The older boys both get medicine every night. With treats of course so Splenda sometimes also gets treats when she's nearby. Poor Bastian was looking out his gate like "what about me??" So I let him out and he rushed right over to my husband with the treats and didn't harass the other cats." - AMAZING

" I started getting their dinner ready and we didn't even have to follow him around he still didn't bother the other cats." - :)

" When I put their food down Orion did take his time coming over but ended up approaching on his own," - Ok, that is fine. Especially if nothing negative happened.

" I just had to put his bowl a little farther from Bastian before he would start eating which was OK." - That is fine

" I moved Bastian back into his room once Caspian was done with his wet food since he was going to start stealing Bastians food at that point." - Awwwww, good job

"'Yay for more progress! " - :yess: :hyper: :clap2:

"If they keep their somewhat tense but not eventful face to face times going like this then soon Bastian will be able to be out much more since we won't need to be supervising as closely. " - Yes, I would keep reinforcing this but totally agree. They are getting close!!!

GREAT JOB!!! Keep up the great work!!! :)

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A bit more face to face time again today and again nothing major! A little bit of hissing and swatting. They were all pretty easily distracted for the most part though once or twice we did have to redirect Bastian away from Orion and once I blocked his view after he was staring down Splenda and started to approach her. Orion did come eat when Bastian was out for their afternoon meal today so that was nice to see!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A bit more face to face time again today and again nothing major! A little bit of hissing and swatting. They were all pretty easily distracted for the most part though once or twice we did have to redirect Bastian away from Orion and once I blocked his view after he was staring down Splenda and started to approach her. Orion did come eat when Bastian was out for their afternoon meal today so that was nice to see!
That is terrific!!! A lot of positives and they are working things out, negotiating, etc. Sounds great. And Orion is getting better. Fantastic!!

Great job!!

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today was mostly good for a while. More face to face time with less direct supervision. When I was getting their night time meal ready Bastian jumped on Splenda and got some fur but they broke up themselves within a couple seconds and she stood her ground. We put him in his room for just a few minutes since we were both in the middle of things then he came back out and was fine minus jumping on the counter and stealing Orions food while I was getting it all ready 🤣

After their night time meal he was out again and mostly fine. He ultimately did jump on Splenda again and this time we had to break them up. We put him back in his room. She hid under the TV (sorta still in the open but not entirely) for a few minutes and came back out.

Bastian and Caspian have been good with each other overall. Orion is nervous and hisses and swats. Splenda will also hiss and swat sometimes. Most of the time he backs off when they do that sometimes with us distracting a bit sometimes not. I'm optimistic that treating him jumping on the other cats the same way I did his biting (separation) will help since I'm pretty sure he's more trying to play and doesn't understand not to bite like that. I don't think he's trying to hurt them he just is a really bitey cat.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was mostly good for a while. More face to face time with less direct supervision. When I was getting their night time meal ready Bastian jumped on Splenda and got some fur but they broke up themselves within a couple seconds and she stood her ground. We put him in his room for just a few minutes since we were both in the middle of things then he came back out and was fine minus jumping on the counter and stealing Orions food while I was getting it all ready 🤣

After their night time meal he was out again and mostly fine. He ultimately did jump on Splenda again and this time we had to break them up. We put him back in his room. She hid under the TV (sorta still in the open but not entirely) for a few minutes and came back out.

Bastian and Caspian have been good with each other overall. Orion is nervous and hisses and swats. Splenda will also hiss and swat sometimes. Most of the time he backs off when they do that sometimes with us distracting a bit sometimes not. I'm optimistic that treating him jumping on the other cats the same way I did his biting (separation) will help since I'm pretty sure he's more trying to play and doesn't understand not to bite like that. I don't think he's trying to hurt them he just is a really bitey cat.
"Today was mostly good for a while." - Ok

" More face to face time with less direct supervision." - Good

" When I was getting their night time meal ready Bastian jumped on Splenda and got some fur but they broke up themselves within a couple seconds and she stood her ground. " - Ok, did you see the body language? Did it look like play? Great she held her ground. How did she act after?

"We put him in his room for just a few minutes since we were both in the middle of things then he came back out and was fine minus jumping on the counter and stealing Orions food while I was getting it all ready 🤣" - Oh my, he is feeling like he is home........................ ;)

"After their night time meal he was out again and mostly fine." - Ok

" He ultimately did jump on Splenda again and this time we had to break them up. " - :/ Ok

"We put him back in his room." - Ok

" She hid under the TV (sorta still in the open but not entirely) for a few minutes and came back out." - Ok, was she acting somewhat normal?

"Bastian and Caspian have been good with each other overall." - Great

" Orion is nervous and hisses and swats. " - Ok but if it prevents anything that is good.

"Splenda will also hiss and swat sometimes." - Ok. Does she avoid him at all?

" Most of the time he backs off when they do that sometimes with us distracting a bit sometimes not." - Ok

" I'm optimistic that treating him jumping on the other cats the same way I did his biting (separation) will help " - Ok

"since I'm pretty sure he's more trying to play and doesn't understand not to bite like that. I don't think he's trying to hurt them he just is a really bitey cat. " - Ok. SO you think he is biting them? That is the fur?

Ok, just keep an eye on Splenda. We don't want any issues to start up. If we see her acting differently (more cautiously) that will be a warning.

But overall, sound good. I would like him to behave a bit more but I am guessing he is excited to have some friends..

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Splenda both does and does not avoid him depending on her mood, his behavior, the number of clouds in the sky 😂 the fur is definitely coming from biting since we pluck it out of his mouth after they've separated.

So far so good today! He was out for somewhere around 45 minutes after their breakfast. No major incidents and only a few redirects. He got put back in his room after he bit at my arm (thankfully he mostly got my sweatshirt.)

At one point Orion was in one of our tubes and I really though Bastian was going to pounce on him since he loves playing in tunnels. At first he went in and sniffed at Orions backside which ended up being OK and then he came out and went around to approach Orion from the front and I thought he was about to pounce on him then but he stayed in front of him and tried to play, he was super playfully swatting and jumping and it was adorable but Orion wasn't having it and was hissing and swatting back and then Bastian left him alone. He came back after a minute, looked in at Orion, tried to play with my slipper for a second (not generally allowed) and then flopped down. I ended up making my slipper off and giving it to him cause he was just trying to find something to play with and very nicely leaving his brother alone.

Later Splenda was on the stairs kinda sitting by herself but making herself small. Which she IS small but still. Bastian looked like he wanted to pounce in her so I moved him into another room. A few minutes later he went back and she was cowering a bit. This time I picked her up cause I wasn't sure if he just wanted to go upstairs and she was in the way. He did end up going upstairs and I put her down and she... immediately followed him up the stairs. He mostly left her alone up there. She hissed a couple times and he was easily redirected.

On the way back down the stairs it seemed he and Caspian were acting nervous with each other but it was fine. Bastian ended up hovering over Orion who hissed at him again so we redirected. He got very curious with Caspian sitting with me on the couch purring up a storm. After that was when he started to get a bit bitey. He started chewing on the end of a wand toy (the wand part he loves to chew on the caps on the ends ugh) so I got him one of his chew toys but he wasn't the most interested. Then he bit my arm so I put him back in his room. Not bad overall!

20211211_120615.jpg

20211211_120931.jpg

20211211_120942.jpg

20211211_121010.jpg

20211211_121248.jpg

20211211_121554.jpg

20211211_121904.jpg

20211211_122904.jpg

20211211_122912.jpg

20211211_123341.jpg

20211211_123953.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Splenda both does and does not avoid him depending on her mood, his behavior, the number of clouds in the sky 😂 the fur is definitely coming from biting since we pluck it out of his mouth after they've separated.

So far so good today! He was out for somewhere around 45 minutes after their breakfast. No major incidents and only a few redirects. He got put back in his room after he bit at my arm (thankfully he mostly got my sweatshirt.)

At one point Orion was in one of our tubes and I really though Bastian was going to pounce on him since he loves playing in tunnels. At first he went in and sniffed at Orions backside which ended up being OK and then he came out and went around to approach Orion from the front and I thought he was about to pounce on him then but he stayed in front of him and tried to play, he was super playfully swatting and jumping and it was adorable but Orion wasn't having it and was hissing and swatting back and then Bastian left him alone. He came back after a minute, looked in at Orion, tried to play with my slipper for a second (not generally allowed) and then flopped down. I ended up making my slipper off and giving it to him cause he was just trying to find something to play with and very nicely leaving his brother alone.

Later Splenda was on the stairs kinda sitting by herself but making herself small. Which she IS small but still. Bastian looked like he wanted to pounce in her so I moved him into another room. A few minutes later he went back and she was cowering a bit. This time I picked her up cause I wasn't sure if he just wanted to go upstairs and she was in the way. He did end up going upstairs and I put her down and she... immediately followed him up the stairs. He mostly left her alone up there. She hissed a couple times and he was easily redirected.

On the way back down the stairs it seemed he and Caspian were acting nervous with each other but it was fine. Bastian ended up hovering over Orion who hissed at him again so we redirected. He got very curious with Caspian sitting with me on the couch purring up a storm. After that was when he started to get a bit bitey. He started chewing on the end of a wand toy (the wand part he loves to chew on the caps on the ends ugh) so I got him one of his chew toys but he wasn't the most interested. Then he bit my arm so I put him back in his room. Not bad overall!

View attachment 404003
View attachment 404004
View attachment 404005
View attachment 404006
View attachment 404007
View attachment 404008
View attachment 404009
View attachment 404010
View attachment 404011
View attachment 404012
View attachment 404013
"Splenda both does and does not avoid him depending on her mood, his behavior, the number of clouds in the sky 😂" - That is kinda Splenda though, right?

"the fur is definitely coming from biting since we pluck it out of his mouth after they've separated." - Ok. One of my ferals i like that but with him it is all play.

"So far so good today! He was out for somewhere around 45 minutes after their breakfast. No major incidents and only a few redirects." - Great!!

" He got put back in his room after he bit at my arm (thankfully he mostly got my sweatshirt.)" - :( Was it redirected aggression or was he just amped up?

"At one point Orion was in one of our tubes and I really though Bastian was going to pounce on him since he loves playing in tunnels. At first he went in and sniffed at Orions backside which ended up being OK and then he came out and went around to approach Orion from the front and I thought he was about to pounce on him then but he stayed in front of him and tried to play, he was super playfully swatting and jumping and it was adorable but Orion wasn't having it and was hissing and swatting back and then Bastian left him alone." - Wow, FANTASTIC!!! They are getting there. :)

"He came back after a minute, looked in at Orion, tried to play with my slipper for a second (not generally allowed) and then flopped down. I ended up making my slipper off and giving it to him cause he was just trying to find something to play with and very nicely leaving his brother alone." - Awwww, terrific.

"Later Splenda was on the stairs kinda sitting by herself but making herself small. Which she IS small but still." - Ok, something we need to keep an eye on.

"Bastian looked like he wanted to pounce in her so I moved him into another room." - Good job

"A few minutes later he went back and she was cowering a bit." - Ok. We need to keep an eye on her. Make their encounters as positive as possible. We need her to be as confident as possible.

"This time I picked her up cause I wasn't sure if he just wanted to go upstairs and she was in the way. " - Good as long as you are safe.

"He did end up going upstairs" - Interesting

" and I put her down and she... immediately followed him up the stairs. He mostly left her alone up there. She hissed a couple times and he was easily redirected." - What?!?!?!?!? DID NOT expect that. Great.

"On the way back down the stairs it seemed he and Caspian were acting nervous with each other but it was fine." - OK, good

"Bastian ended up hovering over Orion who hissed at him again so we redirected." - Good job

" He got very curious with Caspian sitting with me on the couch purring up a storm." - Interesting

" After that was when he started to get a bit bitey. He started chewing on the end of a wand toy (the wand part he loves to chew on the caps on the ends ugh) so I got him one of his chew toys but he wasn't the most interested. " - Ok, it sounds like he had pent up energy. Might be a good time to get him to play some.

"Then he bit my arm so I put him back in his room." - :( I think pent up energy. :(

" Not bad overall! " - Actually I think it is really positive except for the biting. :/

The pics look really good. Splenda looks good. Bastian looks more playful in most. Overall they look really good.

Great update.

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Only 10-15 minutes face to face so far today. But Bastian was a butthead to Splenda :(

First thing he did was run right over the Orion in the tunnel. At first it was super adorable. He was clearly just wanting to play but when he pushed it too far Orion was hissing and growling and swatting at him pretty good so I redirected him. He approached a couple more times but left Orion alone.

20211212_121251.jpg

20211212_121221.jpg

He wandered around downstairs a bit and looked out some windows. Splenda came down from stairs into the loving room and when he went back in there he made poor choices and walked around behind her and jumped. The wrestled and she ran off to hide behind the side of the couch and he jumped on her again :/ I yelled at him and they separated. I gave him a second to cool off before I picked him up and put him back in his room. Orion was coming to check out what was going on by then. Splenda got herself well hidden under the couch and took maybe ten minutes to come back out.

We'll try again later once I see how Splenda is during their next meal.