Another cat introduction thread!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only 10-15 minutes face to face so far today. But Bastian was a butthead to Splenda :(

First thing he did was run right over the Orion in the tunnel. At first it was super adorable. He was clearly just wanting to play but when he pushed it too far Orion was hissing and growling and swatting at him pretty good so I redirected him. He approached a couple more times but left Orion alone.

View attachment 404120
View attachment 404121

He wandered around downstairs a bit and looked out some windows. Splenda came down from stairs into the loving room and when he went back in there he made poor choices and walked around behind her and jumped. The wrestled and she ran off to hide behind the side of the couch and he jumped on her again :/ I yelled at him and they separated. I gave him a second to cool off before I picked him up and put him back in his room. Orion was coming to check out what was going on by then. Splenda got herself well hidden under the couch and took maybe ten minutes to come back out.

We'll try again later once I see how Splenda is during their next meal.
"Only 10-15 minutes face to face so far today." - Ok, that is fine

" But Bastian was a butthead to Splenda :( " - Ok, let's see and see how she acted after.

"First thing he did was run right over the Orion in the tunnel. At first it was super adorable. He was clearly just wanting to play but when he pushed it too far Orion was hissing and growling and swatting at him pretty good so I redirected him. He approached a couple more times but left Orion alone. " - Ok, that isn't that bad. Sounds like he was full of energy.

Awwwww, the pics, Bastian so wants to play with Orion :/

"He wandered around downstairs a bit and looked out some windows. Splenda came down from stairs into the loving room and when he went back in there he made poor choices and walked around behind her and jumped. " - Ok. I am guessing he wanted to play. Did it look like play to you?

"The wrestled and she ran off to hide behind the side of the couch and he jumped on her again :/ " - Ok

"I yelled at him and they separated. " - Ok

"I gave him a second to cool off before I picked him up and put him back in his room." - Ok

" Orion was coming to check out what was going on by then. " - Understandable

"Splenda got herself well hidden under the couch and took maybe ten minutes to come back out." - Ok. Well, that isn't so bad BUT it is starting to impact her confidence I think. We'll have to really watch them. I don't get a sense he wants to hurt her (just play) but Splenda is trusting less it seems. Let's really try to build Splenda's confidence and really try to keep Bastian and Splenda positive. I want to stop it before it becomes an issue. So far I don't see it as an issue but I do want to really watch it.

"We'll try again later once I see how Splenda is during their next meal." - Ok, just really keep an eye on Splenda and really try to keep it positive.

I think Bastian just had too much pent up energy. If you can drain some that might be helpful (though I am guessing it is difficult with him). Just do your best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Their afternoon meal was just fine, Splenda had no issues eating by him. She was also fine later when we brought him to hang out with us on the couch. She was by my feet while my husband was holding him and she was fine. Before their night time meal we again let him out to have treats with the others and he no surprise ran right past her to my husband for him treats. She actually hissed and swatted at him on his way past but he did not care one bit. He was fine with the other cats while I finished up their food and by the time it was ready I had 4 cats begging for their meals (though Bastian was wandering around more than the others.) No issues at that meal either, even when he tried to push his way in to Splendas food though I did move him away cause she needs her food and he can't have much of hers cause of his food intolerance.

Thankfully Splenda gets over things pretty fast.

I'm pretty sure Caspian and Bastian are going to end up actual friends. They spend a lot of time together on either side of the gate and when Bastian is out they're often watching and following each other. Usually Caspian following Bastian but sometimes the other direction. They're definitely hesitant with each other but they really seem like they want to be friends.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Their afternoon meal was just fine, Splenda had no issues eating by him. She was also fine later when we brought him to hang out with us on the couch. She was by my feet while my husband was holding him and she was fine. Before their night time meal we again let him out to have treats with the others and he no surprise ran right past her to my husband for him treats. She actually hissed and swatted at him on his way past but he did not care one bit. He was fine with the other cats while I finished up their food and by the time it was ready I had 4 cats begging for their meals (though Bastian was wandering around more than the others.) No issues at that meal either, even when he tried to push his way in to Splendas food though I did move him away cause she needs her food and he can't have much of hers cause of his food intolerance.

Thankfully Splenda gets over things pretty fast.

I'm pretty sure Caspian and Bastian are going to end up actual friends. They spend a lot of time together on either side of the gate and when Bastian is out they're often watching and following each other. Usually Caspian following Bastian but sometimes the other direction. They're definitely hesitant with each other but they really seem like they want to be friends.
"Their afternoon meal was just fine, Splenda had no issues eating by him." - GREAT!!! Keep mkaing it as positive as possible. I am really impressed with Splenda!!!

" She was also fine later when we brought him to hang out with us on the couch. She was by my feet while my husband was holding him and she was fine." - Wow, great. He was behaving? If so, that was helping her.

" Before their night time meal we again let him out to have treats with the others and he no surprise ran right past her to my husband for him treats. " - GREAT

"She actually hissed and swatted at him on his way past but he did not care one bit. " - Perfect and that shows her he is not always "after" her.

"He was fine with the other cats while I finished up their food and by the time it was ready I had 4 cats begging for their meals (though Bastian was wandering around more than the others.)" - GREAT

" No issues at that meal either, even when he tried to push his way in to Splendas food though I did move him away cause she needs her food and he can't have much of hers cause of his food intolerance." - Great. Good job on keeping Splenda away from her food. how was Splenda acting when he tried?

"Thankfully Splenda gets over things pretty fast." - Terrific. Great sign, just keep reinforcing those positives.

"I'm pretty sure Caspian and Bastian are going to end up actual friends." - I have been thinking that for a while. I totally agree. :)

" They spend a lot of time together on either side of the gate and when Bastian is out they're often watching and following each other. Usually Caspian following Bastian but sometimes the other direction." - Awwwwwwwww

" They're definitely hesitant with each other but they really seem like they want to be friends." - Yes, they are figuring it out but I do not worry about them now.

Terrific update!! Keep doing this and keep an eye on Splenda making it as positive as possible. But so far really great.

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good day so far! I had him out about 30 minutes earlier this afternoon. There were a couple times I redirected him after one of the other cats was clearly telling him to back off but mostly he was good on his own! At one point I'm pretty sure he felt cornered. He was at the top of the stairs with the other boys upstairs nearby and then Splenda started coming up the stairs. They both kinda just stopped and tried to decide what to do and Bastian ended up jumping up to the railing and she scuttled past into the bedroom. He was so well behaved I even let him be on his own while I made coffee. I'm guessing that's when he was chewing on the Christmas tree cause later he was going to chew something on the ground under the tree and it was the end of one of the branches. I took it away and then he ended up chomping another tip of a branch off! So I put him in his room then.

After my husband came home he brought him on the couch and they snuggled and I sat in a chair nearby and after checking out Bastian Spenda jumped up in my lap. Bastian even settled down and closed his eyes for a while! I think that's the first time he's gotten that relaxed when the other cats were out with him.

20211213_125548.jpg

20211213_125924.jpg

20211213_130555.jpg

20211213_130723.jpg

20211213_131128.jpg

20211213_131456.jpg

20211213_132432.jpg

20211213_143521.jpg

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was very proud of Bastian tonight! I had him out some more and though I did block him from possibly jumping on Splenda while she slept he did accept me supporting him while he sniffed her followed by a gentle nudge in the other direction. She woke up to sniff him and went right back to sleep! He also didn't bother Orion sleeping in the bed.

He was about to go back downstairs and from the top of the stairs he saw Caspians reflection in the window downstairs and he bolted down the stairs, around the corner and straight into Caspian. When I got down the stairs enough to see them poor Bastians tail was puffed up SO BIG as big as I've ever seen it. He and Cas cautiously regarded each other but he ended up going past Caspian to look out the window. It took him a while to settle down, it's clear he thought there was a cat or something outside. I was very proud of him for not lashing out at Caspian even though he was clearly quite scared. Pretty solid evidence he knows Caspian isn't a threat. He did eventually calm down so he was able to stay out a while longer but was getting nervous again after playing with a laser toy and Caspian playing with it a bit so I had him go back in his room where he feels safest.

When he was out again later he jumped on Orion who was not thrilled. They separated on their own and Bastian was put back in his room, though Orion was trying to follow like he was going to jump him right back. They ended up having a pretty intense swatting match through the gate which Bastian was easy enough to distract during but Orion not so much so we ended up ushering him away. When Bastian came back out when dinner was being prepared they were OK, he even passed through a doorway passing inches away from Orion and they were fine. No issues while eating either.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good day so far! I had him out about 30 minutes earlier this afternoon. There were a couple times I redirected him after one of the other cats was clearly telling him to back off but mostly he was good on his own! At one point I'm pretty sure he felt cornered. He was at the top of the stairs with the other boys upstairs nearby and then Splenda started coming up the stairs. They both kinda just stopped and tried to decide what to do and Bastian ended up jumping up to the railing and she scuttled past into the bedroom. He was so well behaved I even let him be on his own while I made coffee. I'm guessing that's when he was chewing on the Christmas tree cause later he was going to chew something on the ground under the tree and it was the end of one of the branches. I took it away and then he ended up chomping another tip of a branch off! So I put him in his room then.

After my husband came home he brought him on the couch and they snuggled and I sat in a chair nearby and after checking out Bastian Spenda jumped up in my lap. Bastian even settled down and closed his eyes for a while! I think that's the first time he's gotten that relaxed when the other cats were out with him.

View attachment 404234
View attachment 404235
View attachment 404236
View attachment 404237
View attachment 404239
View attachment 404241
View attachment 404242
View attachment 404246
"Good day so far!" - Great

" I had him out about 30 minutes earlier this afternoon. There were a couple times I redirected him after one of the other cats was clearly telling him to back off but mostly he was good on his own! " - Fantastic!!

"At one point I'm pretty sure he felt cornered." - Ok

" He was at the top of the stairs with the other boys upstairs nearby and then Splenda started coming up the stairs. They both kinda just stopped and tried to decide what to do and Bastian ended up jumping up to the railing and she scuttled past into the bedroom." - WOW!!! EXACTLY what we want to see!!! TERRIFIC!!

" He was so well behaved I even let him be on his own while I made coffee." - Awwwwwwwww

" I'm guessing that's when he was chewing on the Christmas tree cause later he was going to chew something on the ground under the tree and it was the end of one of the branches. I took it away and then he ended up chomping another tip of a branch off! So I put him in his room then." - Oh my, you did say he was one like that.......................

"After my husband came home he brought him on the couch and they snuggled and I sat in a chair nearby and after checking out Bastian Spenda jumped up in my lap." - TERRIFIC!!! I do this all the time in my intros. But I always worry about other people getting hurt.

"Bastian even settled down and closed his eyes for a while! I think that's the first time he's gotten that relaxed when the other cats were out with him. " - :yess: :hyper: :clap2: FANTASTIC!!

Pics look GREAT!!! Look at Splenda!!! Wow. Caspian is great. Orion still a bit cautious but fine. And they are are SO ADORABLY GORGEOUS!!!!

"I was very proud of Bastian tonight!" - Great

" I had him out some more and though I did block him from possibly jumping on Splenda while she slept he did accept me supporting him while he sniffed her followed by a gentle nudge in the other direction. She woke up to sniff him and went right back to sleep! " - Awwww, wanted to play I am guessing. GREAT JOB Splenda!!!

"He also didn't bother Orion sleeping in the bed." - PERFECT

"He was about to go back downstairs and from the top of the stairs he saw Caspians reflection in the window downstairs and he bolted down the stairs, around the corner and straight into Caspian." - Awwwwwww

" When I got down the stairs enough to see them poor Bastians tail was puffed up SO BIG as big as I've ever seen it." - Yes

" He and Cas cautiously regarded each other" - GREAT!!!

" but he ended up going past Caspian to look out the window." - And that is such a big deal. Could have gone bad and they chose not to. PERFECT!!

"It took him a while to settle down, it's clear he thought there was a cat or something outside." - Yes

" I was very proud of him for not lashing out at Caspian even though he was clearly quite scared." - This is SO IMPORTANT!!! TERRIFIC!!!

" Pretty solid evidence he knows Caspian isn't a threat." - Agreed and this was a big test.

" He did eventually calm down so he was able to stay out a while longer but was getting nervous again after playing with a laser toy and Caspian playing with it a bit so I had him go back in his room where he feels safest." - Ok. Good job.

"When he was out again later he jumped on Orion who was not thrilled." - Play?

" They separated on their own " - Great

"and Bastian was put back in his room, though Orion was trying to follow like he was going to jump him right back." - Ok

" They ended up having a pretty intense swatting match through the gate which Bastian was easy enough to distract during but Orion not so much so we ended up ushering him away." - Ok. Orion doesn't put up with much.

" When Bastian came back out when dinner was being prepared they were OK, he even passed through a doorway passing inches away from Orion and they were fine. No issues while eating either. " - Great

And that is the key, that they can resolve the issues. Perfect!!!

Well those are FANTASTIC updates. You are really getting there. Keep up the great work!!

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today was a big jump forward so far! Bastian was able to be out for close to 3 hours 😮 much of that the other 3 were sleeping/snuggling me on the couch and he wandered around doing his thing (no more branches chewed off the tree so far today thankfully.) At one point he even jumped up on the couch with us for about 10 seconds! Splenda was sniffing Caspian in my lap and Bastian decided he wanted to join and he jumped practically on top of the both of them lol I grabbed him and put him next to me, S and C didn't react at all. He didn't want to settle down though so he went on his way. Caspian was following him for a bit, I didn't really supervise them too much.

He and Caspian both were going in and out of his room. At one point Caspian was using the litter box in there and Bastian had his nose like right in his butt. I scooted him away so Caspian could go in peace but it didn't seem he was bothered by it.

He did start feeling playful at this point and so I played with him a bit. At one point I switched wand toys and Splenda just couldn't resist jumping in. She and Bastian did really good playing with it together and not being upset by each other! He got bored of it though and stopped being distracted by toys. She curled up in my lap and he got that "I'm about to jump" stare so I put her down and snuggled him for a second. Then he decided he'd rather jump on Caspian and approached him and I reached down and picked him up right as he jumped so he was only on top of Caspian for a split second. I put him back in his room, tossed a couple of his toys back in and he chased them for a second, then he and Caspian played through the gate/door for a couple minutes. I'm not convinced Caspian didn't want to play with him before I grabbed him honestly though he did hiss when Bastian jumped on him.

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every single one of these cats put themselves here.

20211214_200040.jpg

Unfortunately Caspian didn't stay long since there wasn't much room for him and he and Splenda didn't want to share my lap. But it happened!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was a big jump forward so far! Bastian was able to be out for close to 3 hours 😮 much of that the other 3 were sleeping/snuggling me on the couch and he wandered around doing his thing (no more branches chewed off the tree so far today thankfully.) At one point he even jumped up on the couch with us for about 10 seconds! Splenda was sniffing Caspian in my lap and Bastian decided he wanted to join and he jumped practically on top of the both of them lol I grabbed him and put him next to me, S and C didn't react at all. He didn't want to settle down though so he went on his way. Caspian was following him for a bit, I didn't really supervise them too much.

He and Caspian both were going in and out of his room. At one point Caspian was using the litter box in there and Bastian had his nose like right in his butt. I scooted him away so Caspian could go in peace but it didn't seem he was bothered by it.

He did start feeling playful at this point and so I played with him a bit. At one point I switched wand toys and Splenda just couldn't resist jumping in. She and Bastian did really good playing with it together and not being upset by each other! He got bored of it though and stopped being distracted by toys. She curled up in my lap and he got that "I'm about to jump" stare so I put her down and snuggled him for a second. Then he decided he'd rather jump on Caspian and approached him and I reached down and picked him up right as he jumped so he was only on top of Caspian for a split second. I put him back in his room, tossed a couple of his toys back in and he chased them for a second, then he and Caspian played through the gate/door for a couple minutes. I'm not convinced Caspian didn't want to play with him before I grabbed him honestly though he did hiss when Bastian jumped on him.
"Today was a big jump forward so far! Bastian was able to be out for close to 3 hours 😮 much of that the other 3 were sleeping/snuggling me on the couch and he wandered around doing his thing (no more branches chewed off the tree so far today thankfully.) At one point he even jumped up on the couch with us for about 10 seconds! " - WOW!! FANTASTIC

"Splenda was sniffing Caspian in my lap and Bastian decided he wanted to join and he jumped practically on top of the both of them lol " - Awwwwwwwww

"I grabbed him and put him next to me, S and C didn't react at all." - WOW!!!! THAT is TRUST!!!

" He didn't want to settle down though so he went on his way." - Yep, figures

" Caspian was following him for a bit, I didn't really supervise them too much." - Wow, great.

"He and Caspian both were going in and out of his room. At one point Caspian was using the litter box in there and Bastian had his nose like right in his butt. I scooted him away so Caspian could go in peace but it didn't seem he was bothered by it." - Wow, terrific.

"He did start feeling playful at this point and so I played with him a bit." - I am sure he was excited.

" At one point I switched wand toys and Splenda just couldn't resist jumping in." - REALLY??? WOW!!

" She and Bastian did really good playing with it together and not being upset by each other!" - WOW!! I can't believe Splenda. I had this picture of her (at the beginning and she is so different - more social).

" He got bored of it though and stopped being distracted by toys." - ok

" She curled up in my lap and he got that "I'm about to jump" stare so I put her down and snuggled him for a second." - Awwwwwwwww

" Then he decided he'd rather jump on Caspian and approached him and I reached down and picked him up right as he jumped so he was only on top of Caspian for a split second. " - Awwww, he so wants to play. He is very social. Likes other cats which is great.

"I put him back in his room, tossed a couple of his toys back in and he chased them for a second, then he and Caspian played through the gate/door for a couple minutes. " - Ok, maybe in the future give him a bit more time out there. I am not fearing issues as much at this point.

"I'm not convinced Caspian didn't want to play with him before I grabbed him honestly" - Awwwwwwwwwww, I am not surprised. They are doing really well.

" though he did hiss when Bastian jumped on him. " - Yes just a "hey, what is that???" type hiss probably. I am not bothered by it. If they played (nicely) at the gate it is fine.

AMAZING picture!!!!

"Unfortunately Caspian didn't stay long since there wasn't much room for him and he and Splenda didn't want to share my lap. But it happened!" - That is fine!!! There was trust that it happened!!! Fantastic!!

Yep, they are going to be just fine. Keep doing what you are doing. GREAT JOB!!!

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
WOW!! I can't believe Splenda. I had this picture of her (at the beginning and she is so different - more social).
Trust me we have been living with this sweet girl for over a decade now and even we are surprised by her in recent months! She even hung out in the family room with us at Thanksgiving with a relative over and normally it takes her hours to come out of hiding if she does at all. We've had cat sitters who have come many times who practically never even saw her and with the pandemic there hasn't been many people in the house so we fully expected her to stay in the bedroom the whole day. She even sniffed my cousin! Her playfulness has seriously increased, too. She's never been as playful as she has been the last few months! It's adorable and we are loving it.

Today has been great! The one time he was put back in his room for his behavior was when he decided to use my arm as a kicker toy. He's been out unsupervised for like half the day! Some hissing and swatting with them all but no jumping on anyone. He was kinda backed into a wall at one point with Orion glaring at him and Caspian swatting at him and he ended up jumping up on the couch. I was kinda surprised Caspian was swatting at him but it wasn't very intense. Today Caspian also turned things around and put his nose right in Bastians butt lol and he didn't react at all. Lots of sniffing today with minimal fussing with all of them.

At one point he got the zoomies and Caspian chased after him playfully! He didn't touch him just chased after him it was super cute. Another time all the boys were upstairs for a while so I went to check on them and found Cas and Bash like this...

20211215_170903.jpg

I definitely think we're at the point where he can be out with the others as long as we are home just in case! (Other than overnight of course. Though I suspect that will come soon.)

20211215_202302.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trust me we have been living with this sweet girl for over a decade now and even we are surprised by her in recent months! She even hung out in the family room with us at Thanksgiving with a relative over and normally it takes her hours to come out of hiding if she does at all. We've had cat sitters who have come many times who practically never even saw her and with the pandemic there hasn't been many people in the house so we fully expected her to stay in the bedroom the whole day. She even sniffed my cousin! Her playfulness has seriously increased, too. She's never been as playful as she has been the last few months! It's adorable and we are loving it.

Today has been great! The one time he was put back in his room for his behavior was when he decided to use my arm as a kicker toy. He's been out unsupervised for like half the day! Some hissing and swatting with them all but no jumping on anyone. He was kinda backed into a wall at one point with Orion glaring at him and Caspian swatting at him and he ended up jumping up on the couch. I was kinda surprised Caspian was swatting at him but it wasn't very intense. Today Caspian also turned things around and put his nose right in Bastians butt lol and he didn't react at all. Lots of sniffing today with minimal fussing with all of them.

At one point he got the zoomies and Caspian chased after him playfully! He didn't touch him just chased after him it was super cute. Another time all the boys were upstairs for a while so I went to check on them and found Cas and Bash like this...

View attachment 404471

I definitely think we're at the point where he can be out with the others as long as we are home just in case! (Other than overnight of course. Though I suspect that will come soon.)

View attachment 404472
"Trust me we have been living with this sweet girl for over a decade now and even we are surprised by her in recent months!" Awwwwwwwwww. She is SO ADORABLE!!!

" She even hung out in the family room with us at Thanksgiving with a relative over and normally it takes her hours to come out of hiding if she does at all. We've had cat sitters who have come many times who practically never even saw her and with the pandemic there hasn't been many people in the house so we fully expected her to stay in the bedroom the whole day. " - WOW!!!! Bastian seems to have been a positive............................

"She even sniffed my cousin! Her playfulness has seriously increased, too. She's never been as playful as she has been the last few months! It's adorable and we are loving it." - AMAZING!!! I LOVE to hear that!!! :)

"Today has been great!" - GREAT!!

" The one time he was put back in his room for his behavior was when he decided to use my arm as a kicker toy." - Yep :/

" He's been out unsupervised for like half the day! " -WOW!!

"Some hissing and swatting with them all" - Expected

" but no jumping on anyone." - GREAT

" He was kinda backed into a wall at one point with Orion glaring at him and Caspian swatting at him and he ended up jumping up on the couch." - Great, they worked it out.

" I was kinda surprised Caspian was swatting at him but it wasn't very intense. " - Probably play?

"Today Caspian also turned things around and put his nose right in Bastians butt lol and he didn't react at all. Lots of sniffing today with minimal fussing with all of them." - Hahahaha. Great they are accepting

"At one point he got the zoomies and Caspian chased after him playfully! He didn't touch him just chased after him it was super cute. " - Awwwwwwww

"Another time all the boys were upstairs for a while so I went to check on them and found Cas and Bash like this... " - Perfect pic

"I definitely think we're at the point where he can be out with the others as long as we are home just in case! (Other than overnight of course. Though I suspect that will come soon.)" - AMAZING PICTURE!!! I think you are right. Keep the supervision and after a few days if all goes well you can give more leeway. But agreed, I think you are almost there!! :) GREAT JOB!!!

Yep, they are going to be just fine.

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last night Bastian stayed out until right before I went to bed instead of being left in after their night time meal. At one point not long before I put him in Orion was chasing him. A little hiss, too, but just chased him under the couch. Not convinced it wasn't playing really even though there was the hiss.

Today Bastian has been out all day minus when there's food out he can't eat. At one point my husband and I were upstairs and we thought we heard a dust up downstairs but by the time we went downstairs they all seemed pretty fine. Orion and Splenda were in different spots on the family room floor, Caspian was at the end of the back of the couch and Bastian was behind the couch. Who knows what happened but nobody seemed scared.

We had more spontaneous family time on the couch, too!

20211216_154832.jpg

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, Bastian did end up jumping on Splenda when they were with us on the couch later in the evening. My husband pulled him off her and she ran behind the couch. We put him back in his room for a bit. Everything was fine when he came back out. After my husband went to bed I caught him and Caspian hanging out together in the bedroom cat tree and later he came and snuggled me on the couch right as I was about to head go bed so I of course stayed up a bit longer until he finally got up and I put him in for the night.
20211216_222325.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night Bastian stayed out until right before I went to bed instead of being left in after their night time meal. At one point not long before I put him in Orion was chasing him. A little hiss, too, but just chased him under the couch. Not convinced it wasn't playing really even though there was the hiss.

Today Bastian has been out all day minus when there's food out he can't eat. At one point my husband and I were upstairs and we thought we heard a dust up downstairs but by the time we went downstairs they all seemed pretty fine. Orion and Splenda were in different spots on the family room floor, Caspian was at the end of the back of the couch and Bastian was behind the couch. Who knows what happened but nobody seemed scared.

We had more spontaneous family time on the couch, too!

View attachment 404532
"Last night Bastian stayed out until right before I went to bed instead of being left in after their night time meal." - Terrific!!

" At one point not long before I put him in Orion was chasing him. A little hiss, too, but just chased him under the couch. Not convinced it wasn't playing really even though there was the hiss." - How did they act after?

"Today Bastian has been out all day minus when there's food out he can't eat." - GREAT

" At one point my husband and I were upstairs and we thought we heard a dust up downstairs but by the time we went downstairs they all seemed pretty fine. " - Perfect

"Orion and Splenda were in different spots on the family room floor, Caspian was at the end of the back of the couch and Bastian was behind the couch. Who knows what happened but nobody seemed scared." - Interesting. Couldn't have been that bad. They worked it out.

"We had more spontaneous family time on the couch, too!" - PERFECT!!! Look at that picture!!! PERFECT!!

"Well, Bastian did end up jumping on Splenda when they were with us on the couch later in the evening." - Ok, I m not surprised. How did it look?

"My husband pulled him off her and she ran behind the couch." - Ok, how long did she stay there and "different"?

" We put him back in his room for a bit." - Ok, maybe soon just keep him out and monitor him.

" Everything was fine when he came back out." - Great. Splenda was fine? No avoiding, etc?

" After my husband went to bed I caught him and Caspian hanging out together in the bedroom cat tree and later he came and snuggled me on the couch right as I was about to head go bed so I of course stayed up a bit longer until he finally got up and I put him in for the night." - Awwwwwwwwwww

I just don't get a sense the jumping on is aggressive, etc. Seems like his way of having fun. What do you think?

Look at that picture. Your thinking that Caspian and Bastian might just be friends seems spot on. :) PERFECT!!!

My goodness, your cats are SO GORGEOUS!!! I just love them!!!

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't really think his jumping on them is aggressive in general. He was pretty intent jumping on Splenda last night and he ended up latched on pretty good when he did jump on her which bothered me but not the biggest deal. She was back to normal pretty quick as usual.

Today was a good day overall! He was out nearly all day again. We got more family time on the couch though Bastian didn't stay long this time. A couple times he was pretty insistent on harassing Splenda- at first he was watching her from the landing above his room. He came down and was towering over her being menacing and she was not happy though she also didnt budge from her spot. I ended up bringing him to the other room to put him in my husband's lap but he only stayed a couple minutes then was back to intimidating Splenda. I directed him away though and it was fine.

He was definitely cute with Caspian again. I'm almost positive they're playing together at night, Caspian chases him around at least and I see no signs of nervousness.

20211217_234720.jpg

20211217_234816.jpg

Ultimately the only real drama was when it was well past when I should have gone to bed, Bastian got himself on Splenda and she was growling for obvious reasons. It wasn't escalating otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get myself up off the floor and see what was happening and then still take the time to take a picture. Neither of them was distractable so I announced myself and gently but firmly put my hand on his neck to see if we was reactive and he wasn't so I was able to safely pick him up and put him in his room for the night.

20211218_001047.jpg

I guess there was a little drama with Orion when my husband was giving him his meds and Bastian was begging for treats. Orion was growling but that was cause my husband was holding him to give the medicine so of course he felt unnerved with Bastian approaching and not being able to escape if necessary. I did my best to move Bastian away with the treats and it was fine in the end though Orion definitely gave him a good long glare once he was put down. Bastian totally ignored him the whole time really.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really think his jumping on them is aggressive in general. He was pretty intent jumping on Splenda last night and he ended up latched on pretty good when he did jump on her which bothered me but not the biggest deal. She was back to normal pretty quick as usual.

Today was a good day overall! He was out nearly all day again. We got more family time on the couch though Bastian didn't stay long this time. A couple times he was pretty insistent on harassing Splenda- at first he was watching her from the landing above his room. He came down and was towering over her being menacing and she was not happy though she also didnt budge from her spot. I ended up bringing him to the other room to put him in my husband's lap but he only stayed a couple minutes then was back to intimidating Splenda. I directed him away though and it was fine.

He was definitely cute with Caspian again. I'm almost positive they're playing together at night, Caspian chases him around at least and I see no signs of nervousness.

View attachment 404641
View attachment 404642

Ultimately the only real drama was when it was well past when I shtould have gone to bed, Bastian got himself on Splenda and she was growling for obvious reasons. It wasn't escalating otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get myself up off the floor and see what was happening and then still take the time to take a picture. Neither of them was distractable so I announced myself and gently but firmly put my hand on his neck to see if we was reactive and he wasn't so I was able to safely pick him up and put him in his room for the night.

View attachment 404643

I guess there was a little drama with Orion when my husband was giving him his meds and Bastian was begging for treats. Orion was growling but that was cause my husband was holding him to give the medicine so of course he felt unnerved with Bastian approaching and not being able to escape if necessary. I did my best to move Bastian away with the treats and it was fine in the end though Orion definitely gave him a good long glare once he was put down. Bastian totally ignored him the whole time really.
"I don't really think his jumping on them is aggressive in general." - Great. Given what I am reading and the body language and the interactions that was my sense. Great to get confirmation.

" He was pretty intent jumping on Splenda last night and he ended up latched on pretty good when he did jump on her which bothered me but not the biggest deal." - Ok

" She was back to normal pretty quick as usual." - Great so she is telling us that she thinks it is play?

"Today was a good day overall! He was out nearly all day again." - Wow, great!!

" We got more family time on the couch though Bastian didn't stay long this time. " - Ok, that is fine.

"A couple times he was pretty insistent on harassing Splenda- at first he was watching her from the landing above his room. He came down and was towering over her being menacing and she was not happy though she also didnt budge from her spot. I ended up bringing him to the other room to put him in my husband's lap but he only stayed a couple minutes then was back to intimidating Splenda. I directed him away though and it was fine." - Ok, you did a great job. That is something cats do. But great they are working it out with your help.

"He was definitely cute with Caspian again. I'm almost positive they're playing together at night, Caspian chases him around at least and I see no signs of nervousness. " - Awwwwwww, fantastic!!

Pics - They are SO CUTE!!!! No issues there

"Ultimately the only real drama was when it was well past when I should have gone to bed, Bastian got himself on Splenda and she was growling for obvious reasons. It wasn't escalating otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get myself up off the floor and see what was happening and then still take the time to take a picture. Neither of them was distractable so I announced myself and gently but firmly put my hand on his neck to see if we was reactive and he wasn't so I was able to safely pick him up and put him in his room for the night." - Ok. How did she act after? Just be careful handling him.

Pic - Ok, I know it was a bit wild but my goodness they are adorable. :/ I would have had to see it but he just wants to play it seems. If she acted normal shortly after then it was not a big deal to her.

"I guess there was a little drama with Orion when my husband was giving him his meds and Bastian was begging for treats. Orion was growling but that was cause my husband was holding him to give the medicine so of course he felt unnerved with Bastian approaching and not being able to escape if necessary. I did my best to move Bastian away with the treats and it was fine in the end though Orion definitely gave him a good long glare once he was put down. Bastian totally ignored him the whole time really." - Ok, if that is the worst we get life is really good. Understandable Orion was like that but Bastian had no ill intent. Not an issue.

Amazing. You (and your husband) are doing such a great job!! They are basically there. :)

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree we're basically there! Before long we'll be to a point where he can stay out overnight.

Today was just fine! Mostly great, really! Bastian got himself cornered behind a door but it was fine lol

20211218_110258.jpg

He and Caspian were DEFINITELY playing a few times today mostly Caspian chasing Bastian. Orion joined in once or twice even! The only not perfect part of the day was Orion jumped on Bastian on the stairs late at night when they were all in play mode, I definitely heard a growl. They broke up right away and then I guess he was stuck between Orion and Caspian on the stairs and he jumped onto the bookshelf. So it was a very small blip and since I didn't witness it there's a possibility that Orion was trying to play. Nothing concerning either way since they acted fine afterwards.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree we're basically there! Before long we'll be to a point where he can stay out overnight.

Today was just fine! Mostly great, really! Bastian got himself cornered behind a door but it was fine lol

View attachment 404756

He and Caspian were DEFINITELY playing a few times today mostly Caspian chasing Bastian. Orion joined in once or twice even! The only not perfect part of the day was Orion jumped on Bastian on the stairs late at night when they were all in play mode, I definitely heard a growl. They broke up right away and then I guess he was stuck between Orion and Caspian on the stairs and he jumped onto the bookshelf. So it was a very small blip and since I didn't witness it there's a possibility that Orion was trying to play. Nothing concerning either way since they acted fine afterwards.
"I agree we're basically there! Before long we'll be to a point where he can stay out overnight." - AGREED!!! :)

"Today was just fine! Mostly great, really! Bastian got himself cornered behind a door but it was fine lol" - Fantastic!!! But they worked it out I am guessing. Which is the key. The are trusting and working things out.

Picture - OH MY GOODNESS is that ADORABLE!!! Orion is too funny. Body language looks fine and Bastian doesn't look concerned. I am not sure I ever really saw Orion straight on. GORGEOUS!!!

" He and Caspian were DEFINITELY playing a few times today mostly Caspian chasing Bastian. " - Awwwwwwwwww

"Orion joined in once or twice even! " - Really? WOW!!!

"The only not perfect part of the day was Orion jumped on Bastian on the stairs late at night when they were all in play mode, I definitely heard a growl. " - Ok, it is play mode. What happens after is key.

"They broke up right away " - GREAT!!!

"and then I guess he was stuck between Orion and Caspian on the stairs and he jumped onto the bookshelf." - Ok, that doesn't sound bad.

" So it was a very small blip and since I didn't witness it there's a possibility that Orion was trying to play. " - Seems like it depending on how they acted after.

"Nothing concerning either way since they acted fine afterwards. " - Ok, that tells us all. It was not serious in anyone's opinion (cats). GREAT!!!

WOW!!! GREAT UPDATE!!!! :)

GREAT JOB!!!

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not too much to update really! Things continue to be going well. Sunday Bastian was not feeling the playing with Caspian and was acting a bit more nervous but Caspian didn't bother him too much, and then yesterday they were back to playing. Yesterday Orion was causing some drama, chasing Bastian with some insistent hissing and some growling a couple of times. The second time I found him with Bastian backed into a corner on his hind legs with his front paws flailing. Nobody was hurt and we removed Orion for a bit to hang out with my husband in Bastian's room to give them a break from each other. And here we had been worried that Bastian would bully Orion! I'm glad he's feeling confident enough to instigate even though I wish nobody would instigate anything that's not play. It's kinda adorable when Bastian goes up on his back legs like that, he did it last week once with Splenda on the couch. Once he jumped on Splenda at some point in the past couple days but not a huge deal. Overall things continue to go well! Bastian continues to be THAT cat with the Christmas tree, he played with one of the ornaments after I got the tree decorated yesterday but I got it attached to the branch well enough and it's not breakable so I'm not too concerned about him batting at it. So far no more pieces chewed off the tree.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not too much to update really! Things continue to be going well. Sunday Bastian was not feeling the playing with Caspian and was acting a bit more nervous but Caspian didn't bother him too much, and then yesterday they were back to playing. Yesterday Orion was causing some drama, chasing Bastian with some insistent hissing and some growling a couple of times. The second time I found him with Bastian backed into a corner on his hind legs with his front paws flailing. Nobody was hurt and we removed Orion for a bit to hang out with my husband in Bastian's room to give them a break from each other. And here we had been worried that Bastian would bully Orion! I'm glad he's feeling confident enough to instigate even though I wish nobody would instigate anything that's not play. It's kinda adorable when Bastian goes up on his back legs like that, he did it last week once with Splenda on the couch. Once he jumped on Splenda at some point in the past couple days but not a huge deal. Overall things continue to go well! Bastian continues to be THAT cat with the Christmas tree, he played with one of the ornaments after I got the tree decorated yesterday but I got it attached to the branch well enough and it's not breakable so I'm not too concerned about him batting at it. So far no more pieces chewed off the tree.
"Not too much to update really!" - Ok

" Things continue to be going well." - Great

" Sunday Bastian was not feeling the playing with Caspian and was acting a bit more nervous but Caspian didn't bother him too much, and then yesterday they were back to playing." - Interesting, that is fine.

" Yesterday Orion was causing some drama, chasing Bastian with some insistent hissing and some growling a couple of times. The second time I found him with Bastian backed into a corner on his hind legs with his front paws flailing." - Ok, Orion does seem to be the one now. Teaching Bastian who is in charge.

" Nobody was hurt and we removed Orion for a bit to hang out with my husband in Bastian's room to give them a break from each other." - Great

" And here we had been worried that Bastian would bully Orion!" - Yep, Orion is teaching some manners.

" I'm glad he's feeling confident enough to instigate even though I wish nobody would instigate anything that's not play."- Agreed, it doesn't seem too worrying.

" It's kinda adorable when Bastian goes up on his back legs like that, he did it last week once with Splenda on the couch." - Awwwww, I can imagine.

" Once he jumped on Splenda at some point in the past couple days but not a huge deal. " - That is his way of playing it seems.

"Overall things continue to go well! " - Great

"Bastian continues to be THAT cat with the Christmas tree, he played with one of the ornaments after I got the tree decorated yesterday but I got it attached to the branch well enough and it's not breakable so I'm not too concerned about him batting at it. So far no more pieces chewed off the tree."- Yep. They can be persistent. Just keep an eye on him. They can topple the tree. :(

Sounds like it is going well. just keep an eye on Orion and make those positive associations, positive encounters. They will be fine. :)