Another Black Weekend!

alphagrrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My heart still hurts from losing Black Kitty in May 2016. Then I lost his grandson, Blackie1 in February this year. Now I have no more little panthers at all!

Blackie2 was a great kitty, but he was never as cuddly as the rest. He’d come in the house for a few minutes, but he was never one to jump in my lap on his own. I tried to convince him that I just wanted to love on him, but he was way too aloof. He’d usually let me pet him for about five minutes, but then he’d get tired of it and try to bite me. Sometimes he’d grab a finger and just sit there, like he knew he really shouldn’t hurt me.

A few weekends ago, I sat outside on Friday night playing with all the cats like I usually do every night. They all wandered off fairly quickly, except for Blackie2. He wanted to hang out with me longer than usual. He stretched out on the steps and let me rub his belly. He’s only let me do that maybe three times before. He was almost asleep but then jumped up with a start, like he realized he was letting me get too close for comfort.

He wasn’t around Saturday morning or evening. I figured he’d come back like they always do, so I was only slightly worried when he didn’t show up Sunday morning. I never got to love on him again.

My son came by around noon on Sunday, and I was telling him that he really needed to take a baby kitty home with him. He always says no. Then I told him Blackie2 was AWOL. He looked at me for a minute then said, “There’s a black cat right up at the end of the road.” My heart sank, but I was trying to play it off. I told him to go see if the cat had white under his chin, and he said he wasn’t sure there was anything left to check. He told me there was nothing I could do and not to go look. Of course, he knew that I would.

So after my son left, I went down the road hoping it wasn’t my Blackie2. I didn’t touch him, because there was obviously not a damn thing I could do then, but I pulled over and just stared at him for several minutes, still hoping it wasn’t him. He was still intact from about the hips up, and even though his head was upside down, I couldn’t see any white on his chest. I rode around to the other side and still couldn’t confirm if it was him or not. There’s another black cat that hangs around and eats my food sometimes, but I can never get close to him. He’s healthy enough so someone else is feeding him regularly. I went back home knowing I should do something, whether he was my cat or not, but instead I did nothing, and I hate myself for that. By the time I went back, someone else had moved what was left of him.

He was lying in the middle of the main road almost on a hill just a few feet to the right of my road, so I tried to convince myself that he had been hit Sunday night and wasn’t there when I left my house TWICE on Saturday. If I had seen him then, I would’ve done something….I don’t know what exactly. All I can do now is pray that his death was instant. I can’t stand the thought of him lying there suffering when his home was RIGHT HERE. Maybe he was on his way home, maybe not. I’ll never know.

I didn’t know then, but I know now it was definitely him. The other black cat showed up one morning a few days later. He always looked scratched up, but now he’s got two big chunks of fur missing on his back, like someone took a knife and just cut out squares. I feel bad for him, but I feel worse for my Blackie2. He died alone, just like his brother did.

I’m sorry, little panther #3. R(un) in peace with your grandpa and your brother.

I love and miss you all!

stray031817k.JPG

Attachments

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. I love black cats and don't have any left either. I've looked around on the internet at the local shelters for black female kittens but there haven't been any.
When the time is right you'll be sent one. Maybe you'll get closer to the aloof one. Blackie2 is with the others and not suffering now. They'll always be in your heart and always love you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry this has happened!!
Most likely it was instantaneous, at least there is that.
Maybe you can help the other black kitty, if possible? Contact a TNR group?

RIP buddy, baby, blackie, you are running free now in all your grace and strength :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It shatters the soul when something like this happens. I feed several ferals too, and when I find one like this it takes a little piece of the heart. I hope you can take some measure of comfort knowing he lived his life as he wanted, and he died free and amongst the life he loved so much. There is little we can do to protect them from the harsh realities of living outdoors. But we can feed them and offer them the love that they would never have known otherwise. You do well my friend, in giving them that. There is a limit to our taking them in to our own homes, and most would never be happy indoors anyway. Some are meant to be free and are happiest when out in the environment they know and love. But when we lose one to the road, or to a predator, or to an illness, because the reality is there are so many dangers out there, it makes us question our actions and contemplate our part in being in their world. But there are people out there like you, and legions of others, that try to help, that try to make these little one's world a little easier, and do what they can to provide care and love. And that you did. Blackie2 thanks you for that, and will carry that piece of your heart with him to tie his tiny soul to your own and forever be a part of your memories and share in the love you carry in your heart for them all.
He shared your life's journey for a little while, but now he follows a path that called to him. He will have a secure place in your loving heart, next to the others that reside there, for eternity. Don't let this keep you from opening that heart again, because then death wins, and the darkness and grief it brings is not a way to fully live the life that is before you, a life that should be loved to the fullest, to be filled with happiness and joy. That is what these little ones want for you, because that is what love is....wanting only the joys for those we hold dear. And they are no different. Live as you would want them to live if you were the first to go. "death cannot take that which never dies" and your love will be with you forevermore.
It is hard, I, too, have so many little graves marking precious little lives that deserved so much more. But each and every one of them I know I made happy for a little while, and each and every one of them will be forever remembered and loved. My heart will welcome everyone of them that asks for help in the future, that needs comfort and a little joy in their lives, because you can never have too many loves.....and the joy and what they bring to your life is so much more than the pain of their parting. As it should be.
I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Grief is better handled when shared by those who understand. I'll cry for your pain, and smile for that little boy, because he will always be loved and cherished forever. Take care.
RIP beautiful Blackie2. You will never be forgotten, you were so loved and brought so much joy. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm very sorry to read about Blackie2. I'm glad he got some tummy rubs the last time you saw him. He knew he was loved. RIP, little boy. :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Blackie, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I am so sorry that you lost your boy, and in such a way. This is what I know, though. He loved you, as aloof as he was. And he knew, without doubt, that he was so very loved in return. And now, his love is with you always, because love never dies. It only changes form and continues on, still Love. Love abides.