Anorexic cat Lymphoma tips/advice

Tkfellows

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My beloved cat Ghosty is anorexic from illness, and we are awaiting test results from “cell test” from sonogram. he has thrown up everything past 4 days and with diarrhea. He is taking Cerenia and an appetite stimulant, but it’s not helping. It has been helping before, this past month, because he was digesting food and not throwing it up. he would eat, but only a bit at a time and very very finicky. He just yesterday had sonogram, Dr says he has “enlarged Lymph nodes in his tract” (?.. I thought lymph nodes were only in neck area?) I researched this and points to lymphoma possibly. I just started force feeding him with syringe yesterday, but he still throws it all up. I ordered Liquid Gold and can give him subcutaneous fluid with i.v. if needed, which I probably will soon. I just left a message for my vet, asking for help, ideas what we can do.
I was the one that asked vet for the Cerinia and syringe to feed him. Before that, every test and X-ray was inconclusive and no treatment was ever offered or started! I feel like I need a different vet but this one seems to be the best out of the 3 I’ve had in this city. Sorry for rambling.
Advice? I know if he doesn’t keep food down soon he will get weaker and pass. I have money to treat him. I’m hoping Dr will say surgery will improve his tract and will allow him to digest food. Even though this will probably cost like 1-2000 I am guessing.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tkfellows

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh also a few years ago he developed these gross liquid filled bumps under his skin. Vet tested said they weren’t cancerous. He has elevated white blood cell count, he is much less aggressive/ frisky and very lethargic. He acts like he’s in pain all the time, he lets other cat bully him, he has lost almost all his muscle in the past month or 2. I’m devastated because I left town for a week and my son said he fed him but he has been very skinny and suddenly has taken a turn for the worse past week.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried lickable cat treats? i know they are just treats, but maybe licking might at least get something in his system.

What about broth/super soft foods, too?

I'm so sorry you and your furrbaby are going through this.

Tkfellows

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried lickable cat treats? i know they are just treats, but maybe licking might at least get something in his system.

What about broth/super soft foods, too?

I'm so sorry you and your furrbaby are going through this.
I’m thinking of trying the cat milk for newborn kittens. I’m thinking broth too. There is easily digestible wet food. Idk. Thank you.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A sonogram/ultrasound can visualize what’s going on better than xrays or blood tests. It will likely say, “suspected IBD or lymphoma.” They can’t tell which by ultrasound. A biopsy is needed for that. Sometimes they can go up the butt for that but that has limited reach. It also can only get the first layer. They can do a surgical biopsy. But that’s invasive and can come with a recovery period. Discuss the risks given his condition with the vet if he wants to pursue this. If he confirms cancer (lymphoma), he’ll recommend steroids and chemotherapy. Cats tolerate chemo very well having mild if any side effects. If the lymphoma is small cell, the prognosis is good with many cats going into remission. If it’s large cell, the prognosis is not quite as good. Here’s the thing. Given some cats and their condition (losing weight and anorexic), the drug is less risky than the diagnosis. I would ask the vet to try steroids and chemo even if you don’t consent to the biopsy. You could try steroids first. And if it doesn’t help, you could add chemo. Discuss with your vet all the options and risks. The biopsy may not be worth the risk given that its result may not change the course of treatment.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also discuss a feeding tube with your vet. You will mind the tube far more than the cat. Most times they will only care when you feed too fast or too cold. You get instant feedback and you learn quickly. It doesn’t prevent him from eating on his own when he’s up to it. But it takes his nausea and fussiness out of the picture and gives you an active hand in his recovery. It also makes medicines easier if you can get them compounded to a liquid. When he’s eating again on his own, you can have the tube removed and it will heal in a week. The hair will take longer to grow back.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Inaba Churro sticks (like a thick meat paste in a tube ) might appeal to him, or you can try pure house chicken meat baby food thinned with goat milk or KRM til it is gravy thickness.

Tkfellows

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A sonogram/ultrasound can visualize what’s going on better than xrays or blood tests. It will likely say, “suspected IBD or lymphoma.” They can’t tell which by ultrasound. A biopsy is needed for that. Sometimes they can go up the butt for that but that has limited reach. It also can only get the first layer. They can do a surgical biopsy. But that’s invasive and can come with a recovery period. Discuss the risks given his condition with the vet if he wants to pursue this. If he confirms cancer (lymphoma), he’ll recommend steroids and chemotherapy. Cats tolerate chemo very well having mild if any side effects. If the lymphoma is small cell, the prognosis is good with many cats going into remission. If it’s large cell, the prognosis is not quite as good. Here’s the thing. Given some cats and their condition (losing weight and anorexic), the drug is less risky than the diagnosis. I would ask the vet to try steroids and chemo even if you don’t consent to the biopsy. You could try steroids first. And if it doesn’t help, you could add chemo. Discuss with your vet all the options and risks. The biopsy may not be worth the risk given that its result may not change the course of treatment.
You’re telling me chemo will most likely not kill my anorexic cat?

Tkfellows

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can also discuss a feeding tube with your vet. You will mind the tube far more than the cat. Most times they will only care when you feed too fast or too cold. You get instant feedback and you learn quickly. It doesn’t prevent him from eating on his own when he’s up to it. But it takes his nausea and fussiness out of the picture and gives you an active hand in his recovery. It also makes medicines easier if you can get them compounded to a liquid. When he’s eating again on his own, you can have the tube removed and it will heal in a week. The hair will take longer to grow back.
Oh I had no idea thank you.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is a good vet outside of the city that you know or can find, give them a call and ask if an exam or sharing their opinion based on the lab tests would be possible. Especially during pandemic times some vets are willing to consult long distance and direct you to different tests if needed.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’re telling me chemo will most likely not kill my anorexic cat?
Chemo will most likely not kill your cat.

The biggest risk with chemo is that long-term use will suppress bone marrow production. Your vet will want to blood test your cat every few months while on chemo. If he suspects this is occurring, the chemo can be altered or discontinued. The blood marrow suppression is reversed when the chemo is discontinued. The other main risk is an opportunistic infection as chemo is immuno-suppressing.

Chemotherapy for cats is not nearly as destructive as chemo for people. Dose is chosen for quality of life. Most cats will experience very mild side effects if any. And depending on the type of lymphoma (small cell responds better than large cell), many cats will get a meaningful remission.

The risks of a surgical biopsy or not doing anything greatly outweigh the risks of chemo. But this is a discussion you should have with your vet.

DebRB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have found CBD oil to help stimulate appetite. My old cat had irritable bowel syndrome and went through a period of not keeping anything down. They did a biopsy which was inconclusive, was told it was cancer or irritable bowel. They put her on prednisone for the rest of her life and she lived about six years after that. I went through the syringe feeding. The prednisone helps appetite also.

Presently I have a ten week old kitten that just finally reached 1.25 lbs and I am giving her fancy feast gravy in the middle canned food mixed with kitten replacement milk with a drop of the CBD oil plus a slug of high calorie gel which has all the vitamins and extra stuff. All I know is that it is working finally! Hope this helps!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cat is already on steroids, adding CBD can be dangerous as it will compete with liver enzymes that detoxify the steroids. This means the effect of the steroids can be stronger or last longer when combined with CBD. This may sound like a good thing but it also means the potential for side effects is also increased. If your cat is taking steroids, please consult with your vet before trying CBD.

Jjgalaxy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your cat has small cell, chemo and steroids may improve quality of life dramatically.

My own cat had symptoms very similar to yours. He became very picky, lost a great deal of weight very quickly, was vomiting, and had terrible diarrhea. He also lost a great deal of muscle mass. He looked like a dead cat walking.

On ultrasound he had thickening of the intestine walls, which is suggestive of small cell lymphoma. Keep in mind that inflammatory bowel disease in cats and small cell are not two distinct diseases...it's basically a continuum between the two. Because of Jonas's history, we did not do a biopsy and his vet agreed to treat him for small cell without one. He started chemo 7 days a week and a high dose of steroid.

The great thing about chemo in cats is that they don't suffer the same kind of side effects people do. Jonas had zero side effects. Nada. Zilch. And the great thing about small cell chemo in particular is that you can give it at home. It's just a pill...you just need to wear gloves. And small cell has a terrific chance of remission. Really if your cat has to get cancer, it's one of the best case scenarios.

Jonas started treatment at under 8 pounds. Six months later he was at 10, and a year later he was at 12. He would have died WITHOUT the chemo. Unfortunately, he's now experiencing other health issues and is basically a hospice cat. But chemo bought us another year of a happy, eating cat with no side effects.

Of course I can't guarantee your cat has small cell or will respond as well. But if there's no other options and he will die or need to be euthanized without it, then I would personally 100% try the chemo. I know most people have a knee jerk reaction to the idea...so many of us have watched loved ones suffer while undergoing it. But it truly is different in pets, both because they respond differently and because the dosage given is more about preserving quality of life then seeking a cure at all costs