Annual Shots And Sedate For Bath On Same Day.

justjoe906

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 male indoor cats that are 2 years old. I would like to take them to the vet for a bath as they've never had one. The vets office said they must sedate them for the baths, not wild about that part but I can understand why.

They are also due for their annual shots and I would like to do that at the same time. Is it safe to sedate for a bath and annual shots on the same visit?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have no idea about doing both at once. I am always leaning on the safe side, so my gut says no. But, you can always ask the vet if there is any issue with doing both at the same time.

But, I have to ask the question: If your cats are indoor only, why do you think they need a bath? None of my cats (all indoor only) ever had baths, unless it was due to fleas. And, once they had flea treatments, they never had a bath again.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why do you want the vet to give them baths? I can't say it's fun to give a cat a bath but it's perfectly doable at home with minimal blood loss.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justjoe906

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually they are 90% indoor but do go outside and mingle around other cats. They do pick up fleas from other cats. I called the vets office and the receptionist said it wouldn't be an issue. Just wondering if anyone else had this done at the same time.

Last edited:

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a vet's office give a bath, but I wouldn't recommend getting vaccinations and sedation on the same day. I always keep a close eye on mine after vaccinations just to be sure they are not having any kind of bad reaction. If they are sedated, you may not know if you are seeing a reaction or just after-effects of sedation.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are they on flea treatments? Doesn't resolve your interest in giving them a bath, but would certainly resolve any flea issues - and perhaps the primary reason for you wanting the baths.

I didn't want to tell you this, but now I kind of feel that I should. My neighbor had a girl they routinely took to the vet for baths. She was a handful and so she was sedated. They did this for quite a while, until one time she was over sedated for whatever reason and died from an overdose. Needless to say, they were heartbroken. No one knows to this day why that all of a sudden happened. Going with the "it ain't worth the risk" concept.