Annoying things

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not talking about peeves here, I'm talking about things that really get on your nerves.

I'm a very polite person, even to those who aren't polite, manners don't cost anything, and they are in unlimited supply.

That's the number one thing that annoys me.

A close second is people who don't know how to do anything quietly, regardless of the hour.

Walking heavily, talking louder than needed, slamming doors, etc.

A great example of the second would be from years ago, I lived in an apartment, your typical efficiency unit, not too thick walls, hardly any insulation.

I had a neighbor that would talk for hours on the phone, from 10pm on, and she was loud, extremely loud.

I went over on several occasions, first to make sure she wasn't hard of hearing, because that, I can understand, but also to explain to her that her livingroom backed my bedroom, and that I needed to be awake at 4am to commute to work.

She'd comply for a day at most, and then we'd be right back where we started, this went on for years until management finally made her move, I guess the people below her complained to the office numerous times.

I've never understood people like this as I was raised to be courteous.

Honestly, it takes zero effort to remind yourself that others share this planet too.

Thank you for reading my rant, I feel confident that I can now continue my polite life after blowing off steam

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The second one totally get me too. I have 3 roommates and 2 of them are SUPER loud. They walk loud, talk loud, slam doors. Even making a coffee in the morning sounds like a tornado going through the kitchen. Its crazy.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't stand that either.  DH and I are both quiet people.  Someone keeps coming over to our neighbors house this weekend with a noisy muffler.  The "cool" kind of noisy.  (Because cars with flatulence are cool.)  The problem is they don't just pull up and park...they drive through the backyard to turn around.  It's seriously annoying.  The woman's grandson lives with her and I think the visitor is for him.  He is a grown man and she is about 80 I believe.  I think they pull back there because part of her driveway gets a huge puddle...but its definitely not necessary to do all that driving through the yard. 

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Noisy neighbors are awful, especially the ones that park their noisy junkers in the street because "they're just running in the house for a minute".  Half an hour later, I'm ready to pull my hair out.  And why do they always have the bass on their car radio set at it's lowest setting?  I truly don't like my windows rattling in their frames.  And do their kids really have to have one of those portable basketball hoops set up in the street right in front of my bedroom window?!

Don't even get me started on the lack of good manners in the world today.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can definitely relate. Our bedroom wall joins the bedroom wall of our neighbor. When the former neighbor lived there, we never heard a peep out of her, even when her BF visited her. After she moved out our current neighbor moved in. He said he was quiet but he actually is a very noisy person. He has a very loud voice and talks to the people on the phone at all hours of the night. It doesn't bother me that much but DH has to use earplugs on some nights. I am thankful it doesn't happen that often.

I really miss our former neighbor as she is a cat lover and would cat-sit for us. I miss her furry black boy, Shadow. She moved to another city for a job. The new neighbor is highly allergic to cats. It can put him in the hospital.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can totally relate.

I lived in a dorm last year, my freshman year of college, and I shared a 4-person "suite" (ha) with my best friend at the time, who came with me from high school. We're not friends anymore, because she got a new boyfriend and literally lived at his apartment, so even though I lost a friend (who turned out to be crappy anyway!) I had the room to myself. And after Christmas, BOTH of the girls who lived in the other bedroom and shared our bathroom moved out, so for a semester I had my own room, and my own bathroom, in the cheapest campus housing available, with the unlimited dining hall right next door. :lol3: But back to the point of the thread... the girls who hung out in the common area right outside my door SCREAMED 24/7 at all hours of the night for the first month until my RA took charge. And the boys on the floor upstairs would play soccer inside at 1am, apparently with the full blessing of their RA. yeah.

This year, things are much more reasonable since I have my own 1-bedroom apartment, off-campus and non-school-affiliated. even though I do still have the occasional problem of loud thumping bass music and loud "adult time" noises, both from the same upstairs neighbors. But overall, vast improvement over res life. :D

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I can relate too. I am in a garden apartment and my neighbor is a smoker, so he goes out every half an hour to hour. His door squeaks and he slams it each time he goes out and in. Drives me nuts! I keep meaning to make a note and slip it under his door to ask him to quietly shut his door, but I forget!

Since I am hearing impaired, nightly noises does not bother me a bit, especially when I take the aids out. I usually keep my TV on almost all the time when I home and it blocks out any noises my neighbors make. My air purifier hums and drowns out neighbor noises too.

zeety

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know exactly what you mean, I live in one of those apartments now with hardwood floors. The guy upstairs has the habit of sliding furniture (sometimes tumbling it seems) across the floor in the middle of the night. And one of his friends likes to stomp his foot on the floor to emphasize a point.

The guy below me is one of those raging gamers who is always cussing and yelling at the Xbox when he can't make a level. It really got on my nerves when I first moved in (five years ago). First I asked my neighbors, politely, to keep it down. When that failed I complained to the landlord. He said he would mention it to them but that I should call the police if it keeps happening. Well, I learned my lesson long ago, the best way to start a feud and make bad blood is call the cops on someone you have to live near.

I hate to say it but what I did was buy big amp and sub-woofer for my computer and started playing all my favorite classic rock tunes from the 80s. Haha, these youngsters just hate that stuff, and it helped a lot.

You are also right about blowing off the steam. I have actually started threads just like this one on other boards in the past. My neighbors still make unnecessary noise from time to time, it just doesn't bother me as much.

you get some peace and quiet, I know how much it's needed for my sanity

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are 'lifers' on the farm...zero intention of moving ever. So per the landlord we are 'boss'. The neighbors are pretty quiet for the most part.....then they got a dog....a strictly hunting dog.....who bays. This dog drives me nuts. From October thru about April no loud obnoxious noises past seven. This dog doesn't shut up and I can hear it in the house. We have to be up at four to go to work so I am sleeping by eight. If that dog wakes me up I actually call the neighbor to tell them to shut him up. They know its gonna hit the fan if I go outside and tell the dog to shut up. They also run their chain saw late too. I have zero tolerance for this crappy because we laid down the law right away so their were no issues. We respect them having a small child and the girl friend being pregnant but I told them the next time.this happens they will find out how it feels to have their sleep and schedule disrupted.

I know it sounds rude but besides on paper in almost every way the farm is ours. We take care of everything and df has gone out of his way to help them. They can respect our schedule like we respect theirs. Otherwise I will park my loud freakin truck down by their house and rev the engine like a jerk while they are sleeping just to make a point. If I could stay up past eight lol.