Annoying things your cat does that’s your fault

Crabbysquatch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Emi can’t just sit on my lap. She has to climb up high on my chest. I think this is my fault because when I rescued her from our barn in the winter I would open my jacket and hold her to my chest to keep her warm. It was cute when she was a kitten but now that she is grown it’s a pain. She is just relentless about being up on my chest no matter how I’m sitting.
IMG_0432.jpeg

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Same here. Ozzy insists on being a lap cat, all 17 lbs. of him! :lol: In fact, he's gearing up to get on my lap right now. I have to put my laptop computer on the arm of the recliner so Oz can have the full lap experience.

But like you said, it's my fault. I let him climb up on me so much, it's become 'his' spot.

IMG_4630.JPG

toasted_marshmallow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I made an account to say that my cat does the climbing thing, too! She will accept my lap for a few moments, but always puts her front legs up on my chest/shoulders to see if I'll hold her (I'm assuming because I did this a lot when she was a kitten).

She talks back to me, especially if I call her a bad kitty (she doesn't think she's being scolded, I've never actually punished her by calling her that lol). She talks if I look at her, if I don't look at her, if she hears me use the bathroom at night, etc. Also my fault. When we adopted her as a kitten, she made 0 noises besides purring. A few months in, she meowed the tiniest, cutest meow in the world. I, being the weakling I am, meowed back to her and told her how adorable and perfect she was. I saw the light turn on in her brain, and she unlocked "Meow" permanently... all the time... forever.
PXL_20230719_175214362.jpg

Matt H

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
...She talks back to me, especially if I call her a bad kitty (she doesn't think she's being scolded, I've never actually punished her by calling her that lol). She talks if I look at her, if I don't look at her, if she hears me use the bathroom at night, etc. Also my fault. When we adopted her as a kitten, she made 0 noises besides purring. A few months in, she meowed the tiniest, cutest meow in the world. I, being the weakling I am, meowed back to her and told her how adorable and perfect she was. I saw the light turn on in her brain, and she unlocked "Meow" permanently... all the time... forever.
I have a vocal cat, too. I'm coming to the conclusion that's just how he may be. And I'm slowly learning to not freak out when he does it. lol

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I made an account to say that my cat does the climbing thing, too! She will accept my lap for a few moments, but always puts her front legs up on my chest/shoulders to see if I'll hold her (I'm assuming because I did this a lot when she was a kitten).

She talks back to me, especially if I call her a bad kitty (she doesn't think she's being scolded, I've never actually punished her by calling her that lol). She talks if I look at her, if I don't look at her, if she hears me use the bathroom at night, etc. Also my fault. When we adopted her as a kitten, she made 0 noises besides purring. A few months in, she meowed the tiniest, cutest meow in the world. I, being the weakling I am, meowed back to her and told her how adorable and perfect she was. I saw the light turn on in her brain, and she unlocked "Meow" permanently... all the time... forever.
View attachment 478649
Guilty here as well! I created quite a talker in my now 16 year old cat by meowing back at her and rewarding her when she was a kitten meowing at me. :lol:
Welcome to TCS!! :wave2:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lila will bring me toys. Cat toys, dog toys, and if those aren't available, she'll bring me socks, pens, pencils, hair ties, straws, bits of paper, anything she can find. I actually do think it's adorable. But, she does the Mother Cat cry as she does, and it's way more cute at 1:30PM than it is at 1:30AM. :sigh:
It amazes me what she'll drag around. The other day she had a shoe, and a few weeks ago she had a dog toy that was almost as big as she is. One of these days she'll probably drag the neighbors car through the kitchen and deposit it at my feet!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crabbysquatch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lila will bring me toys. Cat toys, dog toys, and if those aren't available, she'll bring me socks, pens, pencils, hair ties, straws, bits of paper, anything she can find. I actually do think it's adorable. But, she does the Mother Cat cry as she does, and it's way more cute at 1:30PM than it is at 1:30AM. :sigh:
It amazes me what she'll drag around. The other day she had a shoe, and a few weeks ago she had a dog toy that was almost as big as she is. One of these days she'll probably drag the neighbors car through the kitchen and deposit it at my feet!!
I’ve had a few cats that do the same thing. Our current offender is Minnie. My mother in law lives in the basement and must have a thousand stuffed animals of various sizes. We take bets on which one we will find her carrying upstairs next. Before that my cat Casey would do that at our old house. I almost died when I saw her walking through the kitchen with a pair of giant fluffy bunny slippers that were still connected and making that funny meow. She could barely see where she was going. Lol