Annoying early morning wake up behavior!

cat-annoyed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and I hope someone can help with this problem. I have recently been adopted by a little stray kitty. For the most part she is a loving cat. But, she has the annoying habit of waking me up from anytime between 2am to 4am each morning. I get up at 6am. I don't want to just put her outside at night, one because it's unseasonally cold at night and two there are a lot of stray dogs in my neighborhood.
I believe she is under a year old. When I can, I will take her to the vet and see if she needs to be fixed. In the meantime I need my sleep.
For my and the cats sake, I hope someone has some good suggestions.
Also, when she comes in from outside she will jump up on the window seal and just look out. What's that about?
Thanks

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TCS has an article on how to sleep at night with minimal disruption: How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan) – TheCatSite Articles

Spaying the cat will help if the procedure hasn't been done before. Do you leave food out at night? Hungry cats will often wake their person up for food. Try leaving a small amount of food out at night. A play session before bedtime can help tire out a cat so the cat will mostly sleep through the night. Some people have to shut the cat out of the bedroom at night in order to get sleep. That may be something you have to do. Wear ear plugs if needed and ignore the cat's meowing. Giving in to the cat only reinforces the behavior and the cat will continue to wake you up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat-annoyed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
TCS has an article on how to sleep at night with minimal disruption: How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan) – TheCatSite Articles

Spaying the cat will help if the procedure hasn't been done before. Do you leave food out at night? Hungry cats will often wake their person up for food. Try leaving a small amount of food out at night. A play session before bedtime can help tire out a cat so the cat will mostly sleep through the night. Some people have to shut the cat out of the bedroom at night in order to get sleep. That may be something you have to do. Wear ear plugs if needed and ignore the cat's meowing. Giving in to the cat only reinforces the behavior and the cat will continue to wake you up.

Thanks for the fast reply LTS3. She always has food available. Close the room door and she starts crying. I'll read the article before bed. The crying I can sleep through it's the jumping up and down from the window and on my chest. I'll play with her before bed tonight. Maybe that'll help.