Annoyed/roommate/cat safety

esco98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So me and my boyfriend have 3 roommates, all of which are guys. We are getting our own place in June when the lease is up. My boyfriends name is the only name on the lease. 1 roommate, let’s call him V is always late on his payments. Not a big deal because my boyfriend is financially stable and V pays his share at some point during the month. My boyfriend and I have a dog and a cat. All the roommates love them and V especially loves my cat Esco. Well V and my boyfriend had a falling out about 6 months ago. This hasn’t caused major issues in the house until recently. We’ve all been really civil with each other. Well, V has started having parties and not warning any of us beforehand. This is annoying with Covid 19 going on and me and my bf at least are trying to social distance and take all the precautions to stay safe. And my boyfriend still has to wake up early to work from home so a party on a Monday night is definitely not ideal. On top of this, my cat can’t stay out in the living room with that many people over as he’ll get stressed and may try to run outside to hide if someone opens the door. So we’ve been keeping him in our room with us to keep him safe and calm. But without a notice of a party, I’m afraid he’ll have one when we’re not home. Like if we went to go get dinner or to the grocery store. It’s also hard bc V loves and is obsessed with Esco so when he has people over he wants to show him to everyone and have him out in the living room. My bf is too scared to say anything to V bc 1. He doesn’t want to cause any tension in the house and wants the roommates to have a good time living there. And 2. V gives us VERY bad vibes. We’re both scared that when the lease is up he might try to take our dog and cat, but we’re mostly worried about the cat. So bc of this we’re stressed he might get back at us by moving our animals out somewhere else/stealing them. Our plan is a few weeks before the lease is up to move the animals to our parents house without telling him that we’re doing it.

anyways I’m just really annoyed and stressed about this situation. So is my boyfriend. If anything happens to my cat all hell will break. I don’t know if I should say anything or not. We’ve been looking for ways to kick him out but the process seems extremely hard even though V isn’t on the lease. I really need June to get here ASAP.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you move the animals now? It seems like it would be best, even though you of course don’t want to be separated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

esco98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you move the animals now? It seems like it would be best, even though you of course don’t want to be separated.
That is an option we’re exploring. Of course we definitely don’t want to do that, esp with Covid 19 going on we’re not sure how often we’d be able to visit the pets but yes that might be the best option as of now

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, moving the animals seems like a good option if he will not listen to reason.
I'm amazed that he is holding parties! Here in Australia we're on lock-down. I live alone and so can have one visitor at a time. Households cannot have any. Parties and definitely not on,

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
:yeah:
That is an option we’re exploring. Of course we definitely don’t want to do that, esp with Covid 19 going on we’re not sure how often we’d be able to visit the pets but yes that might be the best option as of now
I think it would be less stressful for them than being taken away where you never see them again. Hopefully you can set up something like Skype to be able to at least see and talk to them while they're at your parents'.

What's going to happen with the roommates when you move out? Are they prepared to get their own place/s or take over the lease where you are?