Annabelle is being a weirdo...

agent_haun

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitty Annabelle is acting quite strange. It started about a week ago, when she found a little plush toy brain. (Don't ask) She started howling and crying, and everytime we went to check on her, she was sitting by that brain!
We called it her little baby, since she carried it with her all over the place and cried about it all the time.

Well, the brain is lost, and her new baby is a little bunny ball. She's howling again, and of course her "baby" is right by her. It's amusing, but at the same time I'm worried, why does she care so much about these little toys, and why do they make her cry and howl?

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of cats do this - there are different theories, but I personally think different cats are doing it for different reasons.

Some of them seem to think it's there 'baby', others are 'hunting' and that's their 'kill'. Just tell her 'good girl' or whatever when she's meowling (meow+howling), to acknowledge all her hard work as a mother/hunter/whatever it is that's going on in that tiny little head.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

A lot of cats do this - there are different theories, but I personally think different cats are doing it for different reasons.

Some of them seem to think it's there 'baby', others are 'hunting' and that's their 'kill'. Just tell her 'good girl' or whatever when she's meowling (meow+howling), to acknowledge all her hard work as a mother/hunter/whatever it is that's going on in that tiny little head.
Well said Satai. Great answer. I was going to say the same.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

agent_haun

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

She's getting lots of attention and cuddles when she cries. We say she needed the brain because she lost hers.
We love her, though she's crazy.

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL the title of this cracked me up..

My cat has a little stuffed bunny we call his "bubsie" that he carries around everywhere and acts very strangely with too. His makes a noise if you squeeze it so he'll attack it and attack it until the music goes off and then he'll start freaking out.. it's so cute

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Agent_Haun

She's getting lots of attention and cuddles when she cries. We say she needed the brain because she lost hers.
We love her, though she's crazy.
Awww.

She sounds like a sweetie.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Andrea has a little plush flamingo that my grandson gave her for anger management (he's 10 & learned the technique in school
). If she gets mad about something, just show her the flamingo and she attacks it, and then is fine
- at least it saves our legs & feet

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spyder makes the same noise when he carries around one of those magic duster thingies.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My siamese Jasmine does the same thing to those little sparkly pom balls! She is hysterical!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Andrea has a little plush flamingo that my grandson gave her for anger management (he's 10 & learned the technique in school
). If she gets mad about something, just show her the flamingo and she attacks it, and then is fine
- at least it saves our legs & feet
That's so cute, your grandson is a thoughtful young man.

I'm impressed that schools have started to teach anger managment so young, too. That's a good idea.

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marlee does this with her catnip mice. She will play with it for a while, kicking it around and such, then will pick it up and make this strange crying/chirping noise while she brings it to me and sets it at my feet. She will sit there and look at me until I tell her she's a good girl and momma loves her, and throw the toy for her to play more.

Milo is just a loud kitty. If he is walking around the apartment, he likes to meow real loud, I guess just to hear himself! And when he wants to jump up somewhere high (like the TV stand, the kitchen counter, etc.) he will cry a few times like he's working up the courage!