Animal protective glove recommendations?

saharahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So our new cat, Jellybean is really really sweet but he's 1.5 years and we think he got separated from his litter early (shelter cat) so he's a bit bitey. This is normally not a problem because we can redirect him with toys, etc.

HOWEVER - we are still in the intro face and will sometimes let him out into the main parts of the house, when he goes up into the cat tower sometimes we have to coax him down with food etc. but just in case we need to take him to the vet/put him in the crate/whatever, I'd like to have a pair of protective gloves on hand as we are moving him back and forth (we're moving onto intros this week).

Does anyone have any recommendations? He's a big boy so I'm looking for something that might go at least to the elbow.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know of any specific brands but I do know people who use elbow-length welding gloves. Might be worth looking into.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SJCTSSC/?tag=thecatsite
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756Z7T15/?tag=thecatsite

A few people on TCS have used these. I do not own either, but understand that they might run big and be a little bulky if you have small hands. I do use rose pruning gloves and have for quite a long time; if it is really necessary to add more protection I put another pair of gloves on first. Some other types of gardening gloves will also work as will welding gloves. An old pair of decent leather gloves might also work and I have been using a pair of those with a local cat I feed and am trying to domesticate.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use these for handling my cat during nail trims - PETFUSION Multipurpose Five Finger Dog & Cat Grooming Gloves, Large - Chewy.com
It’s a 2 person job for her nails, so I grab her with these gloves and secure her while my husband does the trimming wearing fingerless mechanics gloves. I have yet to try these gloves for vet visits. Before the gloves, I brought her to the vet for nail trims and was getting quite beat up with scratches on my wrist from her bunny kicks trying to get away.

She’s not a biter, so I’m haven’t had the chance to experience the bite resistance.