Angus has some weird lesion on his back!

bshcatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yesterday morning I noticed poor Angus licking and scratching at his back more than usual so I caught him to have a look and this is what I found!

I have no idea what happened so I quickly put on his e-collar on, gave it a scrub with some chlorhexadine and called to make an appointment with the vet.  I would consider myself quite an attentive owner, so I don't think it's been there long, I think it may have just cropped up overnight.  At first glance, it kind of looks like a burn or something, but I really have no idea what happened.  I brought him to the vet's today and even the vet was stumped!  At first he thought it might have been a burn too... or that Jaffa Cake got him, but I really don't think so.  Either way, he got some steroids and antibiotics and hopefully it should clear.  It just looks absolutely awful and I feel really bad.  Have you ever seen or experienced anything like this before?

This is Angus post-appointment.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Poor Angus! The look on his face breaks my heart and makes me smile all at the same time ..

Has it been really hot over there? Just wondering if it could be a kind of moist dermatitis as I saw a cat with something similar over here one summer.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I have seen this before. My feral cat, Willow, had a much larger area across his back when we had that major heat wave in March. It is a hot spot dermatitis. Willow was trapped and brought in and received an antibiotic injection along with a steroidal injection. In two weeks he was completely healed and the hair was starting to grow back. It was very bloody looking just like Angus' spot. I bet Angus has that same thing, and it should start to heal up. Willow is completely healed now and the hair has grown back. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bshcatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, it's been a week since I first noticed the spot and the area's still quite scabby, but I think it might be slowly starting to heal.  I am hoping it will be fully healed by next week *fingers crossed*  It's still quite pink though and he still has his e-collar on.  Thanks for asking.

The hair has been parted so I can clean it better and it's slightly yellow-tinted from the cream I have been putting on it.

Last edited: