Angry Orange Safe around Kitties

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
okay not sure if this is the right spot but my house has been smelling of cat pee lately i think one of the boy ha sprayed anyway my aunt suggested i get Angry Orange to clean with how it was safe and natural even showed it used around cats on the web site , my aunt has no clue she hates cats but i'm tired of my house smelling like a litter box. so what do ya'll say angry orange or no?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A better question are you sure it's pee and not the male cats marking territory by spraying?

Are they neutered yet? Unneutered male cats in particular will spray to mark territory and honestly there's nothing that will cover up that stench. It will continue and the only real way to cure that is to have the cat fixed.

Also have the cats been vetted to be sure they don't have any kind of urinary tract infections?

What is the litterbox situation? Is it being kept clean everyday? Is it a type of litter the cats prefer? Open or closed box? Are there enough boxes? Usual should be 1 box per cat plus 1 more.

Are the boxes in areas of the home to afford the cat privacy?

The best way to get out the scent related to cats is something like Nature's Miracle Enzyme cleaner. Most other products won't take away the lingering smell and even a small amount of it will call the cat back to that exact spot. I'm not familiar with Angry Orange so can't comment to that but just dealing with the smell without dealing with the actual cause isn't a good plan of action.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Angry Orange, which I have not used either, claims to be made from orange peels. That would send my cats flying as they hate citrus scents and I would not spray it around the house for that reason.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Angry Orange, which I have not used either, claims to be made from orange peels. That would send my cats flying as they hate citrus scents and I would not spray it around the house for that reason.
This is my concern as well , as citris is supposed too repel cats, though it might be an option to keep the ferals out from under my car till they go to their new homes and barns lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A better question are you sure it's pee and not the male cats marking territory by spraying?

Are they neutered yet? Unneutered male cats in particular will spray to mark territory and honestly there's nothing that will cover up that stench. It will continue and the only real way to cure that is to have the cat fixed.

Also have the cats been vetted to be sure they don't have any kind of urinary tract infections?

What is the litterbox situation? Is it being kept clean everyday? Is it a type of litter the cats prefer? Open or closed box? Are there enough boxes? Usual should be 1 box per cat plus 1 more.

Are the boxes in areas of the home to afford the cat privacy?

The best way to get out the scent related to cats is something like Nature's Miracle Enzyme cleaner. Most other products won't take away the lingering smell and even a small amount of it will call the cat back to that exact spot. I'm not familiar with Angry Orange so can't comment to that but just dealing with the smell without dealing with the actual cause isn't a good plan of action.

4 out of 6 litter boxes are arranged in a bathroom right off the kitchen that hasn't worked sence my older cousin "fixed" it 6 years ago so 2 are in the defunct shower and then theirs one between shower and toilet and one between toilet and sink, the other two ones in the living room behind a chair on the bottom most shelf of a built in curio cabinet my uncle built when i was about 4 and the last one is in the utility room i have 5 cats and yes the two males are unnutered Mignon former vet said the anestishia would kill him and Royal pandemic happened vet closed but for emergancies goes in on Tuesday and vet consult for Mignon is 2 weeks from friday when i get paid again as thursday his Carmie is seeing the vet as shes been acting out sence their sons who were nutered passed on you see before the pandemic hit Precious was nutered at 8 months and Houdini who didnt have much in the way of family jewels and never actually seemed to come into sexual maturity at 14 months then Royal was schedualed for June last year but due to covid that couldnt happen. the litter boxes are open whats cheep and i replace them twice a year and scoop daily i did change litter brands as pandemic related shortages ment my normal was out of stock ad i couldnt wait on shipping. but i'll look into the enzyme cleaner and try it , shortly affter her brothers passed Marie was peeing inappropriately and i cleaned with dawn,vineagr and baking soda but the scent has lingered on the chir and floor by the door.