Anger Issues or puberty?

puddykat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My male cat of about 6 months old is now in puberty mode. Scroll down until you see the video Symba Shows The Tiger Inside.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/311666/post-funny-picture-and-memes-here/1320#post_4249537

I know that is typical male cat territory behavior. When I woke up this morning and opened the bedroom door he was right there growling at me just like he did to the other cat. He then jumped on the bed for what I thought was to be his usual morning back rub before breakfast, no not today, he growled at me and wanted to attack me like I was the cat from yesterday. He has never done this sort of a thing before. His litter box is cleaned everyday. He had run out of cat food so I put some in the dish but he was not interested. I have had other male cats before but none were as wild as this.  Today he seems to be switching between calm and testosterone madness more than he was the past few days. When they are in this fighting mode as I call it there is no reasoning with him as all he wants to do is fight. He is now standing at the screen door yowling again but there is no other cat in sight. Good thing the screens are pet mesh. Will this behavior stop once I get him snipped? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
His hormones are raging. You really should get him neutered, this will help his behavior and his health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puddykat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the quick reply. He is scheduled for a check up next week so I am going to get that done at the same time. He as adapted very well to being inside as he was given to me by some people who found him on the street. 

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Did you get him neutered?

puddykat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you get him neutered?
Yes he had a vasectomy. I posted a link to see his story in this thread. Let me know what you think of the story. I had lots of fun creating it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A vasectomy will make no difference in his behavior :/. All it will do is make it so he can't get any lady cats pregnant. Which is great! That's the most important reason to have something done. But since you wanted a behavioral change, probably not exactly what you wanted. I hope it all works out.

That's a great picture story! I really enjoyed it :D.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
A vasectomy will make no difference in his hormone levels. Why didn't your vet castrate him?

puddykat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There has been no more episodes of redirected aggression since the vasectomy. 

puddykat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Four days now, they did give me some pills to give him every night. He still has his regular "it's night time, so I must run everywhere", he has always been a talker especially in the mornings. The vasectomy was half the cost of castration. I am retired so I have to watch my expenses and since I can't drive anymore because of one lazy eye, it is taxi fares on top of the cost of the vet. At least they pause the meter while they wait.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I hope that everything works out! You might want to look into pet insurance, though, in case your cat's have any unexpected medical needs.