Angel Has Cystitis AGAIN (3rd time in 5 mo.s!)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. :heart2: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Just so I understand, the urine sample had struvite and calcium crystals in it? :(

Mega :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: he'll respond well to the food, and not have any allergy problems. :rub:

FYI, the other day Spooky's urine pH tested at 7.5. Since the problem with alkaline urine can't be her diet, I've ordered a calming collar (knock wood it'll help), and Bach's Rescue Remedy that I'll put directly in her food. I don't know what else to do. :sigh:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry.

Just so I understand, the urine sample had struvite and calcium crystals in it?

Mega
he'll respond well to the food, and not have any allergy problems.

FYI, the other day Spooky's urine pH tested at 7.5. Since the problem with alkaline urine can't be her diet, I've ordered a calming collar (knock wood it'll help), and Bach's Rescue Remedy that I'll put directly in her food. I don't know what else to do.
Thanks Laurie, Yes, the tech saw one struvite & a couple of calcium ones. (Thankfully that's all, but that's enough!)

I hope so too, as far as the food!  When I get paid next week, I want to go get a Feliway plug in. I'm pretty sure I saw them at Petco. I will probably call them & Pet Smart & see if one is cheaper. Does anyone know how much space one covers?

I'll have to ask about the collars too. Maybe that will help when giving fluids.  I have been putting lavender in a aura casia plug in diffuser in the house, as well as on the lamp ring sometimes. (trying anything!)
  I feel like I just want to crawl under the covers & stay for a while!!

I have also been putting a couple of drops of Rescue remedy along w/ a few drops of C.S. & rubbing it all in on his tummy. (he's still nibbling at it).

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I just called Petco & Pet Smart the diffusers are 49.99 !!  WOW!  I checked amazon, & found one for 21.99, so even w/ shipping, will be cheaper. It will just take longer to get. :(

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish those darn Feliway diffuser's were not so expensive. They really should not be. :rolleyes: I am pretty sure they cover about 600 square feet once plugged in and going. Sending Angel vibes and hugs for you, hun. I am sorry your dear Angel is still having problems. My Pipsqueak has stress problems, big time. Blood in urine. No crystals/stones after numerous check ups. Doc put him on Elavil an antidepressant. It also makes them retain urine to help calm the over active bladder. Not saying this is for you Angel because crystals have been noted. Just something to file away. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Laurie & Lauren.  Yea, that's something else the vet said I can start giving him the Amatriptyline again.  Fortunately, no blood! (just a very light "tint" of some in a drop on the floor after he got out of the box yesterday after getting home, but they had just cauterized him to get a sample, so, I know that's what that was. None before, or sense then).

I had been feeding him by nature beef (he loves the beef!), I ordered a case a few weeks ago. They didn't have any on the shelf, so while I was waiting on another case to come in, I bought a few cans of B.G. beef, so now, I am mixing it in w/ his new food to transition. I mixed 1/4 can of each, & he ate it just fine. I open the last can of B.G. tonight, & will continue the same mix until it's gone, then he should be ready for the Purina UR by itself. (I hope) That means 4 more meals w/ it mixed. Do you guys think that's enough? (So that's tonight, tomorrow am & pm meals, then Fri. am. so Fri pm would be first meal of all Purina UR.

(A note on B.G. sense we weren't sure about it before in regards to the mineral content.  I read that a lot of the people on the yahoo FLUTID group use it & say it's o.k.)

"Just a little F.Y.I." I learned.

Uhhh, gotta do fluids tonight
    Sense the vet said twice a week, I'm going to do them on Wednesdays & Sundays. (sense Angel has gotten squirmy w/ it, my mom has to help, & her church is right down the street, so she can stop by to help on those days.)  Thank God for Moms!
 Of course, I'm not sure if Angel will be glad to see grandma anymore, after all of this! 
 LOL!

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH poor Angel, she will see your mother coming and just KNOW fluids are coming too. :bigwink: Angel is lucky to have you watching over him and caring for him. I think another four meals mixing with the new food will be just fine. Seems like he is taking to it well. Hope things will improve on the new prescription food. :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Lauren!  Yea. my mom joked about that when she walked in tonight.
 Uh Oh, grandma's here!   Actually, he did really good tonight. He didn't squirm, & he only whined a little. Whew!

"He got grandma kisses during his treatment."  I said, "Your gett'n grandma kisses boo boo."

As far as the new food, yea, he seems to like it just fine. He licks the bowl clean!

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Just wanted to check in and see how things are going? He's transitioned - and eating the new food? Are you still keeping track of his urine pH?

:cross: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :heart2:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, Hi Laurie, Thanks for asking. Angel is doing pretty good. He likes the new food. (he always wants more food! but trying to stick to the one can a day. Half for breakfast & the other for dinner).

I'm hoping he has lost more weight. last time, he went from 16.4lbs, to 15.8lbs, so, "getting there."  Back to 14 is the goal.

He gets a couple of pieces of the Pure Bites Beef treats broken up (big pieces for dogs),  2-3 xs/day as a snack (between meals) , & to try & keep him satisfied. (sense we can't do dry).

We finished up the last bag of fluids (of 2 in a row) last Wednesday. (was doing Wends. & Sun.s)  The vet wanted to check his urine again after he has been on the new food for 3 weeks.

I was going to try & take some  this week, sense we finished the fluids, in case he needed more, but he's only been on the Rx food  for a week. (Sat. was a wk), & Sense I mix a good amount of water in w/ his food. (soupy oatmeal consistency), & he is peeing 2-3xs/day,(usually early am, afternoon, & aft. dinner)  I think he's o.k. 

He actually went 4xs a couple of days ago, but all hrs (3-4) apart & all good big clumps!

No, I'm not checking his pH. I asked the vet if I needed to continue that, & she said no, now that he is on the Rx food, it will take care of it. I did once last wk. just to check & it was right in the middle where it should be.

This is an average size for him, but sometimes a little bigger, believe it or not!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vibes for Angel that the Rx food will work. Vibes for his mommy too for taking such good care of him.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vibes for Angel that the Rx food will work. Vibes for his mommy too for taking such good care of him.
  Thanks!  Yea, as much as I hate it, I will probably keep him on it for a year or so. we've been through it toooo much!  I'd be scared to risk it. I think once he is in the clear for a year, or close to it,

I then will probably alternate it w/ the by nature every other day. Then, hopefully, I can eventually go back just to the by nature & Before the Grain.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:)   Thanks!  Yea, as much as I hate it, I will probably keep him on it for a year or so. we've been through it toooo much!  I'd be scared to risk it. I think once he is in the clear for a year, or close to it,
I then will probably alternate it w/ the by nature every other day. Then, hopefully, I can eventually go back just to the by nature & Before the Grain.
When my Pushy had recurring bouts of crystals we kept him on the Rx food for a couple of years to straighten him out. Now we feed him 95% wet food with extra water mixed in and (touch wood) he hasn't had any issues for years. And he's lost weight.

Shame those diffusers are so expensive.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are such a good momma to Angel. :rub: :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for that RX food to do it's job for Angel. :vibes::vibes:
:yeah: :hugs: :rub: :heart2:

Yep, when our boys blocked, we kept them on the prescription food for years. :nod: When we transitioned to non-prescription canned, and added water, thankfully there were no repeat occurrences (for the boys. :rolleyes: ).

Continued :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: !!!!!!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, Thanks you guys!
  I just love him soooo much, that's all!!   Wow, I didn't expect to have to keep him on the Rx food for years, but if that's what it takes. I literally can't afford to have it

happen again. Now that I've lost my job, I'm trying to get some houses to clean, so I can make some cash. My unemployment probably going to be less than 180.00/wk!!  It's going to be a big struggle, but I'm trying to be positive.  I'm putting the word out to friends & family, so if they know anyone that needs help, but nothing yet.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Hi ladies, I have some wonderful long awaited news. Now that Angel has been on his Rx food for over 3 wks now, it was time to take in a sample.

I managed to get one this morning & ran it out to the vet's. "ALL CLEAR, NO CRYSTALS & pH was good!!!!!!!!!!!" 

Needless to say, I was so relieved, & soooo happy, I actually teared up when I got in the car.  It's been a long road, I'm glad to finally be at the end of it,

even if it means he has to stay on Rx food!  (Maybe in a year I can alternate it w/ the by nature & B.G. to give him a little better quality of food, but no sooner, not taking any chances!)

SO, I am one happy momma today!!!!!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is terrific news! I am so happy for you and Angel. I am glad the Rx food is working.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YAY YAY YAY!!!!! I can FEEL your joy, hun. :woo: :jump: :clap::clap::clap: SOOOOOO happy for Angel too. This is a wonderful update and certainly a very, very uplifting day for you!!!! :hugs: :hugs: :happy3: