Angel at home, she-devil at the vet?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well my mom is against sedating Huff&pPuff/Cami But is going to take her in first, by herself to see if helps. I will bring up the gabapentin again if she gets worse & also the vet can reassure her that one low dose of gabbapentin will not hurt her precious baby.
You said she was ok until the temp. Maybe they can fore go the temp this time since she was in recently. It would let you know if she would be ok with the rest of the exam. For a few days before hold her feet a few times a day. My Monkey girl always had warm foot pads when she was running a fever. Leave the shot for last because that could be upsetting.

I'm always amazed more animals don't go a little wild getting their temp taken. If I were driven to a strange place with strange smells where they don't speak my language and the first thing they did was stick something up my butt, I'd have a tantrum too.

I wish you and the whole gang an uneventful visit.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had any cat be anything other than resistant at the vet's. Though, some are a lot more resistant than others. One quick whiff of the odors of fear, the crying, barking, whining in the waiting room is all they need, on top of being stuffed into a carrier. I guess sitting outside might help a little bit.

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
M mommytobuck -

When it comes to sedation, I don't think vets necessarily push it just for them to make money, as there is always a risk of harm with sedating an animal (the risk increases with age, general health, length of sedation needed, etc.). It might be easier for them to work on a raucous animal when it is sedated, but most vets would be willing to try just about anything unless it's glaringly obvious that the animal is worked up to the point that it WILL hurt itself or a member of the vet staff.

"They are unsure of the results"

Vets are more inclined to go with the option that they KNOW works and has minimal side effects, rather than risking serious injury or death of an animal just to save a few bucks. If you're not comfortable with sedation and the gabapentin doesn't work on your furry child, ask the vet about other options and let them know that you are NOT a fan of sedation and would like to avoid it, if possible.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M mommytobuck
I stop by my vet quite often and either tell them what I want, or ask what to do.
Without ever taking the cats, I get de-wormer meds, antibiotics for various things, vaccinations if I feel brave, suggestions and advice. He knows how upset and stressed they get. And nobody can handle the big one if he's upset.
It's an eye opener when my vet will be armpit deep in a 2,500 lb bull that's throwing enough of a fit that it sounds like it's going take down the whole building....and then seriously not want to even attempt handling that cat. It's a different deal when he's for sure upset.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one vet (14? Years ago) tell me that our “devil kitty” was nothing compared to jaguars that he used to work on.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is something I question as well. They seem to go right for sedation and I have pet insurance but it is NOT covered. This is causing me to spend so much money whenever I take him in. I mean why shouldn't the vet push for that at the slightest resistance? It is easier for them and mo money. The gabapentin didn't work for my cat. This is why I get frustrated with the vet. They have zero alternative to that. Even though I know there are other drugs they don't want to give them because they are unsure of the results.
I'm guessing where ever you live just has really sucky vets if all of them are like you are describing in your posts, that has not been my experience with most vets in the US and Canada. I'm not saying all vets here are great, and I have had some pretty nasty ones, but there are other options around, even if it means driving a couple hours. Most vets in the US and Canada can't afford to be too nasty or lazy, people stop going to them and find others and they go out of business. If you are dealing with a crazy/aggressive/stressed out cat there are vets that have experience with them and know how to handle them, normally ones that shelters and rescues use.

One of my cats was a very scared stray when I first caught and took her in a few years ago, and was acting like a feral when I brought her in to the vet. The vet refused to sedate her, even when I told him he could. He ended up with a good scratch (and possibly a bite, I can't remember) never got mad at the cat or anything and simply got a couple vet techs to come in and help. Between me, the vet techs, the vet, and a blanket I brought from home we were able to restrain her without any sedative. It was kind of funny needing 4 people to control a 6lb cat. In the past when I had a horse I was able to have him treated over the phone, with just sending photos and a skin samples (he had a skin infection) so they could run some labs. I even got the prescription and gave him shots and everything myself, all without the vet ever setting foot on the farm or my horse leaving.

Maybe if you want the vet to try other untested drugs you can sign a wavier stating you understand and take full responsibility if your cat dies or has a reaction if given another sedative. The vet might be more willing to try something else if they aren't legally responsible if the cat dies or has a bad reaction.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you might have hit the nail on the head. Dr B was busy so we took an appointment with her other vet. So yeah if zcami freaks again, I’m going to suggest we try Dr B and see how she does.

greeneyes2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My oldest cat was a terror when she first seen a vet. She somehow knew the vet was the vet when she started throwing a cat fit. One of the last doctors was able to give her a mild sedative for her to take before any more visits.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
My oldest cat was a terror when she first seen a vet. She somehow knew the vet was the vet when she started throwing a cat fit. One of the last doctors was able to give her a mild sedative for her to take before any more visits.
Man, just like CiCi! It's like she KNEW this was the vet and she KNEW to cut the heck up as a result lol

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never had any cat be anything other than resistant at the vet's. Though, some are a lot more resistant than others. One quick whiff of the odors of fear, the crying, barking, whining in the waiting room is all they need, on top of being stuffed into a carrier. I guess sitting outside might help a little bit.
I did have a cat who was ok at the vet. It sort of went all limp and just was like, get it over with. But I think it was because the cat was well socialized at home. Had a large family and people were always coming and going. People touched him and picked him up and kissed him and moved him and so on and so forth so another human doing that was no big deal. And that cat we didn't take to the vet at all for about the first 7 years of life. He was also small. About 10 lbs.

I feel like the vets use sedation because it is easier and bonus, they get to charge for it. Sure your cat could die but as long as they explained that to you and got your permission it is no skin off their backs.

Where I take them to task is that they have no serious efforts to calm a cat that is afraid of the vet. They don't even try to make friends with the cat when they come to my home. At this point in time there is no serious efforts on the industry's part to do anything about this problem and that includes at home sedation with limited options. Gabapenten is hailed as a miracle cure but it didn't do anything for my cat and there are some cats that it doesn't. They need to find something.

Also, my vet constantly lets my cat go home before he is really ready to. My cat takes about 8 hours to come out of the kettimine dose and 24 hours to really be ok. They shove my cat at me after 1 hour and expect me to deal with the consequences. Trust me, my cat is no less terrified at home when I open his carrier and he can't walk. They never properly prepare me. It is like some sick joke. Always telling me he will be ok about 3 or 4 hours before he actually will be. He needs to stay at the vet for at least 4 or 5 hours after he wakes up.

My last discharge they didn't even tell me he GOT kettimine. And gave me no discharge instructions. Thank god I took him upstairs to the guest bedroom. But I had to let him out of the carrier because at home, he is always struggling to get out. At the vet he is happy to just sit quietly and growl to himself..

One vet once was able to get my cat examined with three vets and a towel. I thanked her so much. But she quit the profession. Probably to difficult on someone who is caring.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think it is socialization in this case. Sarah was a bottle baby ‘mojito cat’ that lived in my mom’s busy house. She never even nipped st people, was a mighty pigeon hunter (& hummingbird huntress) & was declawed😢 (my mom knows better now.) At thd Vet they used 2 of those wire loop things, one around her neck & one around her back legs...... she still managed to bite the vet!!!!

Cami is calm, she nips very gently if you mishandle her .... she has nipped my niece when she kept chasing her.... ignoring her no & kept bugging her in her cave. I trained my niece to leave her alone when she is in her ‘room’ or says no. The other time she nipped my mom’s idiotic roommate who was probably trying to rough house/play with her against her will, using his hand. In each case it was deserved. As a kitten she was a nipper if we over pet her but we learned to read her ‘stop petting me’ signs. She used to try to nip us or the brush until we got her the right brush for her fur type. I fostered her & her 2 brothers from 4 weeks on.) Now in all fairness she has always been a fighter. When we first got her she cracked me up with her little huffing hisses. (I just ignored her, stuck her back on my chest and loved on her and her brothers.) It took her a couple of days to realize we meant them no harm & is the reason she got a name that means ‘priestess/acolyte of the Warrior god.’ (Camilla) Some cat’s just have more of a warrior spirit.