anesthesia- help!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Her not eating at this late date from the actual extraction is concerning.
Can she not bend to reach, or does her tongue not work? Something is wrong, this is going on too long. When you're in next, really pressure them that things aren't right.

I'm so sorry hon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Livndedgirl

Lulu
Young Cat
Purraise
Her not eating at this late date from the actual extraction is concerning.
Can she not bend to reach, or does her tongue not work? Something is wrong, this is going on too long. When you're in next, really pressure them that things aren't right.

I'm so sorry hon!
She can bend, she wants to clean herself but I dint thi k she wants to use her mouth. same for eating. this is how I actually realized her tooth was bad in the first place, she was hungry but wudnt eat. she wud put her head to the plate but wudnt open her mouth. Even after her getting the pain meds yesterday it's surprising to me that she still won't eat. I'm crumbling inside. I know she's hydrated, she is urinating. I don't think she's slept much either. ugh.

Livndedgirl

Lulu
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, Lu finally came to me. she even layer on me for about 5mins. she is still using her litter box to urinate. but she is still not eating and the poor thing has been trying to clean herself for hours. she is so uncomfortable. I tried to help her and tried to wipe her bottom but that was a no go, she wudnt let me near her! I am still debating whether to take her to the vet who extracted her tooth or to my reg vet. I think I'm going to call the reg vet and ask them what they think. I'm out of money, that's for sure! I've spent $1000 if not more and if I go to our reg vet, they will most likely want to do more blood work and I'm not sure how I'm going to pay for this. of course I'll do whatever I have to do but this has not been easy. I'm so sick to my stomach that I have not ate in 3 days! please pray for Lu.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she is not eating, yes, she needs to go back to the vet. I am SO sorry. Lighting a candle...for BOTH of you!

00LitCandle.jpeg

Livndedgirl

Lulu
Young Cat
Purraise
If she is not eating, yes, she needs to go back to the vet. I am SO sorry. Lighting a candle...for BOTH of you!

View attachment 437063
Thank you so much. she still us not eating and now her behavior is off. they did say the pain meds may cause the behavior changes but I'm not 100% sold on that. it's 5:30am and she just woke me up by headbutting me. she has been letting me finally pet her since yesterday. She looks as if she's hallucinating, not sure what else to call it. she just layer down I just wish she wud sleep. I don't think she has slept since the surgery. 3 1/2 hours before I can call our reg vet. I'm going to beg and plead with them to see her.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tell them you consider it to be an emergency as she has not eaten for so long. Write all your questions and concerns down and take the list with you, dont leave until you have all the answers, dont forget, YOU are paying them and have the right to know whats going on. Let us know what they say.

Livndedgirl

Lulu
Young Cat
Purraise
Tell them you consider it to be an emergency as she has not eaten for so long. Write all your questions and concerns down and take the list with you, dont leave until you have all the answers, dont forget, YOU are paying them and have the right to know whats going on. Let us know what they say.
I am dressed and ready to go as soon as they are open. actually leaving sooner so I'm there when they open. I am beyond sick about this. I feel I put her in this situation. I never expected this outcome from having a tooth pulled. wish us all the luck you possibly can.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I identify so strongly. My Louise had 2 extractions about 2 months ago and had no appetite. The vet injected some kind of medication(a gel type) in her ear and as soon as she walked in the door at home, ran right to the dish for food and ate like there was no tomorrow. She also was given a pain shot that was a slow release that lasted for about 3 days. She did act strange at first and I thought my 10 yr old rescue(I think she is older) had brain damage from the anesthesia. But she came back to her old self in a few weeks.
You may want to ask the vet about a time release pain shot and the appetite gel shot. She could be sore if she had stitches in her mouth and is trying to work around those.

Livndedgirl

Lulu
Young Cat
Purraise
I identify so strongly. My Louise had 2 extractions about 2 months ago and had no appetite. The vet injected some kind of medication(a gel type) in her ear and as soon as she walked in the door at home, ran right to the dish for food and ate like there was no tomorrow. She also was given a pain shot that was a slow release that lasted for about 3 days. She did act strange at first and I thought my 10 yr old rescue(I think she is older) had brain damage from the anesthesia. But she came back to her old self in a few weeks.
You may want to ask the vet about a time release pain shot and the appetite gel shot. She could be sore if she had stitches in her mouth and is trying to work around those.
thank you for letting me know!! I am so sick to my stomach over all of this and I feel so so bad for her. I keep asking WHY over and over, why is this happening? I pray my vet will make her better. if that vet who did this to her screwed her up, he best pray I never see him alone!

Livndedgirl

Lulu
Young Cat
Purraise
although she has not ate and has not been coming out at all, this morning she is out and sniffing around, she also did try to lick herself again and managed to do so for about 20 seconds. the absolute most terrible thing is seeing that she seems to not be able to see much! she has not slept in days. I fear the worst but am prying and begging for a miracle.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you for letting me know!! I am so sick to my stomach over all of this and I feel so so bad for her. I keep asking WHY over and over, why is this happening? I pray my vet will make her better. if that vet who did this to her screwed her up, he best pray I never see him alone!
I too get upset and then read the posts and replies of those who have been cat owners for a long long time. I read and feel their calmness and try to relax . it is expensive, it is emotionally draining , but ti is worth it when all calms back down. And then we get ready for the next "Should I rush her to the vet?" episode. Hang in there. We are with you all the way.

Livndedgirl

Lulu
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, so.. I took her first thing this morning to our regular vet. I instantly felt more comfortable there, seeing our vet who hugged me! she said all of Lu's blood work is fine however, her stitch came out. She was slightly dehydrated again but she was weak from not eating or drinking and of course needs her antibiotics that I have not been able to give her and she needed more pain meds. She gave me 2 options. 1 was to let them give her fluids, antibiotics, and pain meds and show me how to force feed her and send her home or option 2 to leave her there overnight. I chose option 2 and my vet was pleased with that because she said that I needed to get some sleep and also that they can put a line in to give her continuous fluids and give her the antibiotics and pain meds thru the I.V. as well as feed her. Had I gone to the other vet and he offered to keep her I wud have said no way! It's alot more money and I am seriously broke now, like broke, no money. But, if it's to get my Lu better than that's what it's gotta be. I am praying this is going to help her and I know they'll care for her. I'll update tomorrow.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its hard to leave them at the vets but Lu will get the care needed, I think you made the right decision for her. Hopefully you will see a big difference tomorrow. In the meantime, relax, take care of yourself and catch up on your sleep knowing that Lu is in good hands.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some relief ! I know your mind is at ease now and you can rest being in other good hands.I had to get 3 opinions before I felt at ease because the diagnoses were so diverse!
She is safe tonight and getting the best care. Now it is time to give yourself some care for several hours.

Livndedgirl

Lulu
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you to all of you, you have no idea how helpful it's been to reach out and just vent or talk to others who completely understand. The vet called me about 2 hours ago to update me. They did go in and check that hole where the tooth was pulled. we knew from earlier that the stitch came out but when she went back to look again there was some puss in there. So instead of putting her under more anesthesia they just gave her some gas, like they do for people, and they were able to clean it all out and they also sewed a flap over it. She said this not unusual, that this happens but sewing that flap of skin (gum) over it will be better for her. So, they irrigated it and sewed it. They also have her on continuous fluids, antibiotics and pain meds and were able to get some food into her and now she is resting. I have never slept without Lu in my home since I got her about 9yrs ago. I have been on a couple vacations where I have been away but never her gone and I'm missing her so much but I know this was for the best. I have to call tomorrow btw 10:30-11am to see if she is still doing well and if yes, when they want me to pick her up.
I will update then. again I just really want to say how much I appreciate all of you ❤

Livndedgirl

Lulu
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you to all of you, you have no idea how helpful it's been to reach out and just vent or talk to others who completely understand. The vet called me about 2 hours ago to update me. They did go in and check that hole where the tooth was pulled. we knew from earlier that the stitch came out but when she went back to look again there was some puss in there. So instead of putting her under more anesthesia they just gave her some gas, like they do for people, and they were able to clean it all out and they also sewed a flap over it. She said this not unusual, that this happens but sewing that flap of skin (gum) over it will be better for her. So, they irrigated it and sewed it. They also have her on continuous fluids, antibiotics and pain meds and were able to get some food into her and now she is resting. I have never slept without Lu in my home since I got her about 9yrs ago. I have been on a couple vacations where I have been away but never her gone and I'm missing her so much but I know this was for the best. I have to call tomorrow btw 10:30-11am to see if she is still doing well and if yes, when they want me to pick her up.
I will update then. again I just really want to say how much I appreciate all of you ❤
And we do you too! You're the kind of cat owner we wish all cats had ❣!
thank you. 😻