anesthesia- help!

Livndedgirl

Lulu
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Lulu had to have a bad tooth pulled today. I was told she did very well. Of course she's upset now that she's home. I shud mention she has never been anywhere! she was abandoned at about 8 months old and each time we tried to take her to vet she wud urinate all over us and vomit. I was heartbroken and it's prevented me from taking her. Fast forward to yesterday when I had no choice because she was uncomfortable with a loose tooth. I had to take her back today and they put her under anesthesia, cleaned her teeth and removed the bad one. I got her home, she ran under the bed and she began growling, hissing, and screaming. this is heartbreaking to hear. I called vet and they told me that this happens when the anesthesia is wearing off. some cats even hallucinate. it's been 6 hours now and altho she isn't as bad as she was earlier she is still growling and hissing. I haven't even been able to see her. has anyone else experienced this? if so, how long did it take for them to come around or calm down? or shud I be more worried? of course I've googled about this and it does say it can happen. I am so upset and so hurt for her I haven't been able to eat, my stomach is so upset and I've been crying so much. it pains me to know she's not happy and or in pain and scared. Thank you in advance for any help!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I don't remember how long it took, each time it seems my angel boy Poppy either had a different anesthesia or different levels/amounts of it (if that's possible), so he'd react afterwards differently. The best thing you can do at this point is to find a way to deliberately, intentionally become more calm and relaxed. You did the right thing by getting her teeth taken care of, which is hugely important to her overall health (I can't stress this point enough).

Now, because she's very sensitive to your emotions, she needs you to be as relaxed as possible so that she herself can gradually become more relaxed.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its upsetting to see them like that when you want to comfort them and they wont let you. Give her time, let her calm down at her pace. There's no set time, each cat is different but just sit and talk to her, be calm, dont try to pick her up or touch her. She may be in a bit of discomfort at the moment and is most probably afraid you will take her back to the vets but she will calm down. As said above, she is sensitive to your emotions so you need to be relaxed around her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Livndedgirl

Lulu
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the encouraging words. it helps tremendously. she didn't stop growling hissing and screaming until around 2am. I slept on the couch and just stayed at quiet as I cud. when I woke up a few minutes ago I went to check on her and I cudnt find her. panic struck! I finally found her in the den behind the couch. she is no longer growling hissing or screaming, thank goodness. I just calmly told her I loved her and let her be. put some wet food near her with her meds mixed in. it does appear that she used her litter box too! I hope she continues to come around. thank you all again for making this cat mom feel better. you have no idea how much it's appreciated!

Livndedgirl

Lulu
Young Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart, I'm glad you're here❣
Thank you, I am so glad I found you all. I was so scared last night, hearing Lu scream like that. I feel incredibly bad for putting her thru this but I know it had to be done. I just really miss having her right next to me all the time, she's a cuddler. I so wish she wud come lay with me but I know she needs her space right now. They want her back for a recheck next week and I am dreading it already.

Livndedgirl

Lulu
Young Cat
Purraise
She is horrible trying to get into the carrier. she's so afraid of it. and now with how upset she is after her tooth extraction, ugh. I think I may see about getting her something to calm her down, thank you for recommending that!

Livndedgirl

Lulu
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Here is an update on Lu. Since this morning she was hiding in the den. She had not ate or drank anything but looked like she did use her kitty box. I called the vet because I was concerned that she wasn't eating and I felt that she may still be in some pain. They had me bring her in. That is the last thing I wanted to do, she's so terrified of leaving the house 😭 my heart breaks for her. They gave her fluids and pain meds, Zorbium I believe it's called. It is a topical pain med. We are home again and she is under my bed..she did come up on bed for a few minutes but she heard a noise and she went back under. So, I have her food and water in here along with her cat box and the door shut. I'm sitting here hoping she'll eventually come to me. Thank you for all the advice and encouraging posts. I find most people don't really understand the bond and the love we have for our cats (and other pets). I cud never have children, tried for 7 years, so Lulu is my baby and I love her so much I wud do anything for her!
Thank you all again!!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a new cat mom, I had to take my boy in for a dental and tooth removal. The first thing to say about me is anytime I have to drop my cats off for any reason and can't stay with them, I cry all the way home. So after Swanie came home from his dental, he was manic. He couldn't stay still. He was rubbing on everything. His pupils were dialated. The way he was acting, I was terrified he had gotten brain damage from the anesthesia. By then the vet was closed, I just didn't know what to do, I saw up with him all night and in the morning called the vet. Oh yeah, she says, they can behave that way after antesthesia. So, why on earth don't they tell you that upfront?

Like everyone else has said, you did the right thing as hard as it was for you (and for her), and you just have to give her space, talk soothingly to her, sing to her. May lay down next to the bed on the floor by her.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep this in mind. she had a tooth that was bad enough that it had to be removed. Having had that experience personally, let me assure you that every MOMENT with a bad tooth is a moment lived with pain. Eating is difficult. You learn to live with the pain but it HURTS. As the tooth continues to decay/rot the pain increases, it can reach the sensation of electrical shocks running through your jaw. This is what you have saved your cat from continuing to experience. As the shock of going outside and the medicines wear off, your cat will discover she feels better than she has in months (remember the tooth was going bad long before she let you know about it.) This will help her entire world view.

Do not be overly distressed when she fights you about going into the carrier. Some cats consider peeing on the person/cat/closest being to them as part of fighting. Many cats will pull back from fighting another cat if they get peed on. It's just another part of cat's weapons as are hissing, spitting, scratching, and biting. Actually, other cats find being peed on more discouraging than being clawed. Just make time to change your clothes before you have to take her in. Yes, she can wait in the carrier. Many cats pee in their carriers, the vet has seen it before. AND, this is important, cats find the smell of their pee comforting, not disgusting. A frightened cat will sleep in her litter box for comfort.

Livndedgirl

Lulu
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep this in mind. she had a tooth that was bad enough that it had to be removed. Having had that experience personally, let me assure you that every MOMENT with a bad tooth is a moment lived with pain. Eating is difficult. You learn to live with the pain but it HURTS. As the tooth continues to decay/rot the pain increases, it can reach the sensation of electrical shocks running through your jaw. This is what you have saved your cat from continuing to experience. As the shock of going outside and the medicines wear off, your cat will discover she feels better than she has in months (remember the tooth was going bad long before she let you know about it.) This will help her entire world view.

Do not be overly distressed when she fights you about going into the carrier. Some cats consider peeing on the person/cat/closest being to them as part of fighting. Many cats will pull back from fighting another cat if they get peed on. It's just another part of cat's weapons as are hissing, spitting, scratching, and biting. Actually, other cats find being peed on more discouraging than being clawed. Just make time to change your clothes before you have to take her in. Yes, she can wait in the carrier. Many cats pee in their carriers, the vet has seen it before. AND, this is important, cats find the smell of their pee comforting, not disgusting. A frightened cat will sleep in her litter box for comfort.
When I was a new cat mom, I had to take my boy in for a dental and tooth removal. The first thing to say about me is anytime I have to drop my cats off for any reason and can't stay with them, I cry all the way home. So after Swanie came home from his dental, he was manic. He couldn't stay still. He was rubbing on everything. His pupils were dialated. The way he was acting, I was terrified he had gotten brain damage from the anesthesia. By then the vet was closed, I just didn't know what to do, I saw up with him all night and in the morning called the vet. Oh yeah, she says, they can behave that way after antesthesia. So, why on earth don't they tell you that upfront?

Like everyone else has said, you did the right thing as hard as it was for you (and for her), and you just have to give her space, talk soothingly to her, sing to her. May lay down next to the bed on the floor by her.
It's such a horrible experience. I've had many cats over the years and never did any of them have such a bad reaction when coming off the anesthesia. I know she'll be more comfortable in the long run with that tooth gone. it's so hard to watch them not be themselves. she is actually laying in bed next to me right now but she wants to wash herself but apparently cannot. I'm sure she is sore even after getting pain meds. she is acting a bit goofey from the pain meds but I rather her be like this than how she was last night.
over the last several days, dealing with this, I'm amazed that there are not at home veterinarians. I have been thinking about how to start something like that. I'm no veterinarian but I think it wud be a great business!

Livndedgirl

Lulu
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had three teeth removed, they gave me liquid antibiotic and 3 days worth of liquid pain meds. Weird, they sent you home with nothing.
they gave me antibiotics for her but said they gave her pain meds before I picked her up. I never used this vey before and I'm not overly impressed. I believe he knows what he's doing but I prefer our usual vet. When I took her back today they gave her fluids and more pain meds. this has been so trying.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
over the last several days, dealing with this, I'm amazed that there are not at home veterinarians. I have been thinking about how to start something like that. I'm no veterinarian but I think it wud be a great business!
There actually are home vets, but I'm not sure how many or where they might be located. Some years ago our original vet started one here and a friend who lives in the next town over has one that comes to her house to tend to her cats.

Livndedgirl

Lulu
Young Cat
Purraise
There actually are home vets, but I'm not sure how many or where they might be located. Some years ago our original vet started one here and a friend who lives in the next town over has one that comes to her house to tend to her cats.
there are a few around my state but none that are around where I live. I've searched and searched and even emailed most of them to see if they wud travel to my city. they all said no. I don't live out in nowhere, I live in a very populus area.

So Lu is still not eating. She has been trying still to clean herself but can't. she has been using the littler box tho. she is still skittish and noises make her upset. I've been unable to give her meds because 1, she won't eat and I was putting the meds in her food and 2, I cannot get close enuff to get her meds into her mouth! There has got to be an easier way..
is it normal for her to still not be able to clean herself? she's trying so hard but when she goes to lick herself she won't/can't. i have to take her for a recheck tomorrow, Friday at 5pm. I'm hoping possibly they can give her some antibiotics while we are there and something for any pain. When I took her that first time they gave her some anti-inflammatory meds to help over night and she tolerated that well. instead of giving her these narcotics maybe the other will be easier on her? Poor thing, I'm so upset myself and haven't been able to eat, my stomach is in knots. I don't even want to go to Thanksgiving dinner. it's bad enough that I have to go to work Friday and leave her alone until I get home to take her back to vet. she hates me now and I pray that once this ordeal is over she'll get back to being my cuddly angel. it's just me and her the last 6 years. I'm sorry, I'm rambling. I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving Day!