Anesthesia & Constipation

dianeandbooboo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
BooBoo is going for her dental Wednesday and I know from last year she had trouble with constipation after her dental.  Is there anything I can give her after she wakes up to help?  Last time I had to bring her back to the vet because she couldn't pass the stool and she stopped eating and drinking for a day.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You feed her Rad Cat, right? Either way, if you feed wet food, I'd add either a tablespoon of pumpkin to each meal (you want 3 tablespoons in her over the course of a day) OR 1/4 teaspoon slippery elm mixed with 1/4 teaspoon of aloe vera juice (I buy George's - it's not organic, but it has no taste). I buy loose slippery elm powder from the health food store and keep it on hand. :nod:

Or you can just syringe the pumpkin into her if you're able to do that without much stress for the both of you. That works for Lazlo.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not familiar with it. :dk: Pectin, slippery elm, sound very soothing. I don't know the other ingredients, and don't know the use of pumpkin SEED over pumpkin flesh. :dk:

I looked up fennel, and found this: http://theanimalherbalist.com/?page_id=163

I know papaya has a lot of digestive enzymes. The leaf? No clue.

The same site above, listed plaintain as an "earth friendly alternative to slippery elm:" http://theanimalherbalist.com/?page_id=317 (Under gastrointestinal).

Here's info on pumpkin seeds: http://www.livestrong.com/article/299271-pumpkin-seeds-protein/

For temporary use, I can see using a supplement like this. :nod: Personally, I'd rather find the cause and address that. :dk: Using something like this is no different, really, than using steroids for allergies, or miralax or whatever for chronic constipation. It isn't addressing the source of the irritation / inflammation / problem in the amount of water in the colon or whatever. It's helping treat symptoms, just in a more "natural" fashion that "medicine." But if it's needed short term, or that's the approach someone wants to take, it seems like it would be very soothing. :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianeandbooboo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I wouldn't use it all the time if there was something wrong.  Last year when she had her dental in June she got constipated which can happen from the anesthesia.  In the past I noticed she was a little slow passing stool after a procedure but she just kept and eating and drinking and she was fine but last June she stopped eating and drinking and I brought her to the ER at 5:00am and of course they wanted to do blood work and x-rays and in the end she was constipated so they gave her something and she passed it in the ER.  I was working there at the time so it wasn't a big deal as far as money but it was stressful for her after just being there and having the dental the day before so I am just trying to be prepared.