Anesthesia after-effect

Szewan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just brought my 7/yo cat adopted last year to dental cleaning under anesthesia today, we just came home and he’s still groggy and a bit unsteady, but he ate some wet food after fasting for a whole day, so I guess that’s good. No tooth extraction required - just cleaning and no medication needed so that’s another plus. But he pee’ed a bit on the floor after he came home, and he never had toilet problems before...is it just a temporary side effect while ‘recovering’ from anesthesia? The vet office was closed when we got home, otherwise I would have called them to ask...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's probably just a one time accident due to still being under the effect of anesthesia. The anesthesia should wear off by tomorrow. In the meantime, keep an eye on the cat and discourage any climbing / jumping / etc to prevent possible injury from misjudging distance and landing.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anesthesia can take a full 24 hours to wear off, and in some cases a bit beyond that. I'm willing to bet that his "accident" is just a side effect of feeling very woozy. If he isn't back to normal by tomorrow afternoon, give the vet a call.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably went a good part of the day without peeing and was disoriented enough that he couldn’t get to the litter box. I am sure it’s just temporary although some cats can take longer than a day to get over the anesthesia.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Szewan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, is passing gas (farting) a side effect post-anesthesia🙄...I noticed the smell today 😳 when I was around my cat...he never has such ‘problem’ as far as I know...

Szewan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure on that but how is he doing otherwise?
The peeing on the floor did stop. The grogginess seemed to have gone today. Seemed sleepier than normal throughout today but appetite has been normal. He had not pooped today though, but it’s not uncommon that he does not poop every day.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
His gut is probably just getting going as anesthesia makes it slow down, so that is why he is gassy. I would think by tomorrow he will poop.

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Szewan Szewan I am doing the same thing December 4th, I noticed you are in New York, I am in Westchester.

How was the overall procedure?

Szewan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Szewan Szewan I am doing the same thing December 4th, I noticed you are in New York, I am in Westchester.

How was the overall procedure?
Overall quite smooth, they determined no tooth extractions needed so the whole thing was less complicated snd much less expensive. The only hiccup was Pancake pee’ed a bit on the floor when we came back and he was still a bit disoriented. But it was an one time thing. Now 24 hours+ later he’s back to his normal self again. The bad breath from his mouth (must be the plaque) has gone!

This was my first and Pancake’s first as well - he’s now 7.5 years old but when I adopted him last year I wasn’t made aware he ever had any dental done. So here are the steps FYI:
- I got a price list for all the possible steps from my vet before I finalized my booking, just to get a sense of the pricing
- no food/water after mid night the night before the procedure
- dropped Pancake off at the vet in the morning. Vet called later in the morning to confirm bloodwork etc all ok for anesthesia, and I also need to email to confirm ok for them to go ahead
- vet called back mid-afternoon informing all went well with no extraction required. And I should pick him up around 5:30
I am attaching a snapshot of the instruction sheet given to me when I picked up Pancake.
Good luck!

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How is he today? I was offline yesterday, typical for me on a Wednesday. About the gas...well, "those" muscles are more relaxed as well, so it's possible that the farts were secondary to the anesthesia. And aren't cat farts just a treat!

Szewan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is he today? I was offline yesterday, typical for me on a Wednesday. About the gas...well, "those" muscles are more relaxed as well, so it's possible that the farts were secondary to the anesthesia. And aren't cat farts just a treat!
He was back to his normal self yesterday. Only farted for a day 🤪

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
GOOD! LOL, it's as if their little butts flutter open, and a fart rolls out and detonates in the room! A cat can clear a room faster than tear gas...and with similar effects!