Anemic cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you're doing the all the right things, Trust is lucky you're taking such good care of him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So been a few weeks since I have posted anything, been busy sorry.  Took Trust for his check this morning and he is at 33.7 on his test so thats really good,  He has not had aa shot of Depo for 9 weeks now as we are trying to figure out where we are at with him and try to limit the amout of Depo we give him since like all steroids there are side effects with.  Again thank you for all the support and advise everyone has given really don't think he would be where he is if it wasn't for you all.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad your kitty is doing so well.  I haven't had to deal with this but I can imagine how scary it would be.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Been a while but Trust is doing great 15 weeks since last depo shot and still holding strong in the 35 range, as of now no more vet visits unless we see something of concern, again thank you to everyone who continues to check in on him

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been a while but Trust is doing great 15 weeks since last depo shot and still holding strong in the 35 range, as of now no more vet visits unless we see something of concern, again thank you to everyone who continues to check in on him
Great news! 

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So took Trust to the vet today talk to them about vaccinations, because not to sure with his history if it's a good idea, or what however did a blood test see where he is at, he was at 29 which is a little lower than we want him so we ended up giving him about shot of depo (been 16 or so Weeks since last one)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like he is still doing well.  I have seen some kitties here where this, whatever it is, turns into a type of controllable chronic condition.  More frequent blood work and another shot of depo when his count goes down a little seems to be the standard way it is treated.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'm not overly worried being at 29 he's right there. He's along way from whete he was about a year ago

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So today has been 1 year since we took Trust to the Vet Er, it has been a trying year to say the least but he's still here and honestly being a major brat. We really don't mind though. Again thank all of you for your comments and suggestions if not for you I don't think he would be here with us today

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow a year goes so quickly, it is lovey that your story had a happy ending, although I know you are keeping a close eye on him! Perhaps you should start a ne thread about his behaviour!

ladybug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow! Just read this whole thread. I am so glad it has a happy ending! Best of wishes to you and Trust. I hope his good health continues.

veronica00

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah the retics are new red blood cells being produced by the bone marrow. The Depo is a steroid that suppresses the immune system to help slow down the body destroying the rbc. The b12 is a vitamin that helps develop the immature rbc to mature rbc. if he is low on his retics the epogen may be something to look into to stimulate the bone marrow to produce new rbc. Now have they looked into what is causing the animia? We never really have narrowed Trusts cause down but suspect it is a blood paracite.
Did you ever figure out what was causing his anemia? Did parasite tests come up negative? Did you do a bone marrow aspirate or sample? Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to figure out if I need to know the cause or just start treating. I feel the vet is SLOW and I want him on meds. We're waiting for bloodwork from last Thursday and then we will do a bone marrow aspirate. 

veronica00

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is wrong with you. She said "THEY BELIEVE" and this was at the beginning, i was asking her what it ended up being because my cat has been sick. Go troll somewhere else, don't you have anything better to do than be obnoxious to people worried sick about their cats?!

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry haven't posted anything in a while on Trust, honestly forgot my log in (had to get a new phone and lost my password) as for the anemia he's doing well, have had a few follow up checks and still holding strong. Still really never found out why he got sick. Anyone going through this the depo really did seem to make a big difference. Trust is doing well, going through some bladder stones with him right now, not to sure if all the meds he was on for so long is the cause, he's been on a diet to hopefully prevent surgery, which does seem to have helped, he isn't straining to urinate like he was(just happy caught it before became more of a major issue). We get that rechecked tuesday. The one thing I look back on with everything with Trust, and the one thing alot of people my wife and I know have given us grief on has been the cost of what we went through. The blood transfussion alone was $1800 at an emergency vet. Honestly I do not regret doing it. I'd do it again in a heart beat. Again hopefully someone reading this can save their cats life. I cannot stress enough how helpful everyone in here was, if it was just knowing we had someone thinking about us.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad your kitty is doing well.  We have seen this here before.  For some reason the depo shot will work on idiopathic anemia where other steroids don't work.  I wonder if it's the method of delivery, staying in the body for a long period of time kind of a slow release over a period of time rather than something different about the steroid itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.