Anemic cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advices and recommendations, I'm going to try little by little, a bit of beef liver and a bit of chicken liver. I will try also the vitamin B12. 

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update for Lucky, yesterday was a good day, he was active and loving as usual, I gave him raw beef liver and he DEMANDED more and more; I need to clarify that I did cut it in tiny pieces and was giving it to him bit by bit, that's why the "demand". Later on, he had his meds, drank more water and ate his regular wet food. At midnight he vomited, and this morning he was very lethargic, I found him on a pillow that was on the floor in my mom's bedroom, usually he climbs (has special steps to do that without stress) to my mom's bed and sleeps with her, and every morning he's waiting by my bedroom's door for me to wake up and giving him his breakfast... not today. At Lunch time I'm going to buy him fresh chicken livers to see if he wants to eat, since he didn't want breakfast this morning, only drank a bit of water and had his meds. I know the end is near, and as much as it kills me, I'm praying for him to go with no pain by himself. In the meanwhile my mom and I are giving him all the love and care we possibly can. We've been blessed with 18 years of pure love. My mom found him in an abandoned house when he was about a year or two, when she called him, he ran to her and jump on her car, it's been almost impossible to put him in a car ever since, so he knew back then that he found his perfect human. He's been the perfect cat ever since, I learned to love cats because of him and I am deeply thankful for that. I know I am a better person because of him. Anyways, he IS still with us, and while he's here, we will do whatever it takes to keep him happy and comfortable. Thank you for reading... FYI is the white cat in my profile pic.

Last edited:

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Cards222002 I was wondering how Trust is doing, hope she's doing better. Mom and I are taking good care of Lucky and he's responding well; I really hope your baby's also doing better. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's doing ok he had a b12 shot this week, his last pcv test was Alittle lower then the previous however Vet not too concerned, won't be doing another check until next Monday on that.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well trust was back to 16 on his rbc not what we wanted to hear. Vet is thinking maybe supressing his ammine system so much since been on the Pred since August any ideas

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Sorry to hear that, sounds like it must be the pred, all the other investigations have been NAD right? Did you get the results of the fecal exam? How is Trust ?

jamiep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just started reading this thread but don't have any advice to offer- just wanted to say I'm so sorry to hear Trust's levels are down again. It can't be easy on you, you've been up and down with Trust for months now. :( I really hope you're able to beat this.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry his count is down again. I don't have much more to add to my previous comments. I'm not too experienced with feline anemia. I do know that there is a prescription Chinese herbal formula that addresses anemia, but you would have to consult with a veterinarian that specializes in Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine (www.tcvm.com).

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fecal exam came back ok, the only other thing someone recommend to me was that maybe he has issues with his spleen. I don't know really just have to see we dropped his dose of pred Alittle see if that does anything with maybe being over suppressed.

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's a thought, since it's the spleen that gets rid of old/used blood cells. In humans an enlarged spleen could cause problems by filtering out normal red blood cells, however an enlarged spleen could be palpated by the Dr/nurse, leading to further investigation. I'm sure the vet would have thought of this as a potential source of Trust's issues though.

How is Trust in himself?

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For his number at 16% last recheck he acts normally. He is still the same cat we have had since we adopted him. His regeneration was Alittle lower last week then the previous he was at 29 where the week before was 40. But normal range for that is like 3-20. His wbc was at 6% which with the Pred is what is to be expected. I'm going to talk to vet on Monday about the spleen stuff. If anyone else has any recommendations I'm all ears and don't mind looking into it

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's always best to treat the patient rather than a number, although it's difficult with cats as they are so stoic!

Let's hope reducing the pred helps!

Just a thought....I recently paid to speak to a vet Dr Michael Salkinet online (via justanswer.co.uk) about an issue with my cat, I found this really helpful, it only cost me £8 and I was able to continue asking questions until I was satisfied with the answer! Although Trust has a vet, this might be a way of getting more ideas from someone with expert knowledge to ask your actual vet!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry I haven't seen this thread until now cards222002 cards222002 .

You can search this forum for "Tux anemi" and threads started by me - you will find our battle with Tuxedo's anemia. We had a bone marrow aspirate done to confirm his bone marrow was capable of producing red blood cells, but like your kitty, it wasn't functioning properly. He received epogen shots as well, until they stopped working.

Tuxedo was also on pred, until it stopped working.

You will see we were on a huge roller coaster ride for two years, and we were at the vet with Tux if not daily, then every-other-day or weekly. This is only because we weren't confident enough to give him shots ourselves. But for a long, long time we monitored his HCT and RBC at least bi-weekly. The hospital staff all amaze at him today - they were there with us all the way, cheering or crying, there to hold our hands, give hugs, and provide encouragement as possible or when needed. He was at the e-vet a number of times (same staff and hospital as where he was being treated), but his body only ever accepted one blood transfusion. After that, his body attacked the blood while it was mixing, causing it to clot, so no more transfusions as an option for him.

Now most vets know that the treatment for IMHA is DEPOMEDROL and I do not see that yet mentioned. I will never forget when the vet told us "I am out of bullets." Tuxie's HCT was something like 7, and the vet said at that level, we maybe had a week or two, depending on how fast he burned through them. Seizures were possible, in which case we were to bring him to be euthanized, otherwise he would just go quietly, slowly fading until he breathed no more.

As a "parting shot" he gave him the shot of depo rather than the pred - he'd called around to feline blood experts to find out their suggestions for Tuxie's treatment. This was in 2005, before the internet had much of a collection in organized methods to search easily. They all said "treat with depo."

So we were crying, wondering what to do to make him happy or comfortable. As you know, at that level of HCT, they aren't interested in much. And lo and behold, the next morning at breakfast, who showed up, hungry? Tuxedo.

The fight wasn't over. There were still ups and downs. We took him every week for his HCT at first, and he got very high doses of depo shots. But over time, he needed less and less - and less frequently - and we took him in monthly. Then every 3 months. Then every 6 or when he didn't look as pink as he should in the gums. Finally ... 8 or 9 years later, his last shot had been the hear before, and the vet declared him in remission. I now have him on a homemade raw food diet, and his HCT is consistently over 40%.

The two things that helped when nothing else did were IV doxy, Baytril pills at home, and in the end, it was the Depomedrol that saved his life.

I hope my experience helps you and your kitty. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your post I am going to pull up as much I can about this and bring it to the vet on monday. We haven't done the epogen mainly because our vet said they were not able to get it from the supplier, and the other vets in the area didn't want to sell any of their supply. But again I've been hoping for alitrue hope this week and think you may have given me a little.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: :heart2:

Those search terms didn't quite work out. ;) Just search Tuxedo in posts by me in this forum. You'll be able to tell which threads to read.

:hugs: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

And if your vet wants to chat with mine, Stan is happy to. Just PM me.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Those search terms didn't quite work out.
Just search Tuxedo in posts by me in this forum. You'll be able to tell which threads to read.

And if your vet wants to chat with mine, Stan is happy to. Just PM me.
I am glad you chimed in on this.  I could vaguely remember that someone had dealt with something like this before but I couldn't remember anymore about it even who it was.

I know with my own experience for something else that there is a difference in steroids.  When there was a nationwide shortage of prednisolone Patches was put on dexamethesone for quite a while.  His blood sugar started going up.  The vet put him back on the pred and it came right back down.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad you chimed in on this.  I could vaguely remember that someone had dealt with something like this before but I couldn't remember anymore about it even who it was.

I know with my own experience for something else that there is a difference in steroids.  When there was a nationwide shortage of prednisolone Patches was put on dexamethesone for quite a while.  His blood sugar started going up.  The vet put him back on the pred and it came right back down.
Exactly - there REALLY is. At the time, Stan thought that there wasn't enough difference in the mechanism of action of steroids to make a difference and switch it up. But after calling around to the feline blood experts, he said - this is it, we gotta try it. And since it WORKED - and literally saved Tuxedo's life - it made the very strong impression that there is enough difference in the mechanism of action between different steroids that if one doesn't work, you try another, &etc.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cards222002- I just saw your thread. My 8 year old cat Remy was diagnosed with non-regenerative anemia just over 1 week ago.

Remy is FIV+ and he has FHV and Stomatitis. He had surgery in Sept  to remove some teeth which left him with 4. He seemed better for a couple weeks but at re-check the vet said his mouth was still a mess. She started him on a low dose of pred which kicked him into a FHV flare which we are still dealing with. I took him in because he was lethargic, hiding and so congested. He was still eating like a champ. His blood test came back with the anemia dx.

We can find no secondary reason for this. He has started a second round of Famciclovir ( anti-viral)  my vet feels that B-12 shots are only effective when a cat has intestinal issues like, vomiting, diarrhea or malabsorption. so we won't be doing those again ( we did try one)  My vet said there is another drug similar to Epogen but, she feels longer lasting and so , more effective. It is called Darbopoetin. the only problem is it has to be ordered through a compounding pharmacy ( there is one in Arizona) and she has the order a large case. It is $200 per syringe. I am meeting with her this week to discuss further.

My vet is , in my opinion, exceptional and belive me it took a while to find someone I trusted and am comfortable with. She is willing to try things but we had a long talk last Wed. and she said that going the extra mile with Remy would be something she felt more comfortable with if he wasn't already contending with 3 other conditions. I had initially rejected the idea that Remy's FIV could be the cause as his WBC is normal, his monocytes are awful tho... she explained to me that FIV can be found in the bone marrow.

I hope Trust beats this. I hope all the kitties do.

I wanted to tell you that I am sorry you are all going thru this but I was happy to find your post and will be following for updates.Take Care.

• Purraise
Reactions: ldg

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Maureen

First I am sorry about Remy.  I guess really the hardest thing for me on this whole ordeal has been that Trust looks good and acts good (other then the day we took him to the when we found him)  His nose and Gums have continued to look pink and he is eating and wanting attention, so from  that he acts fine.  He yells at us until he gets his breakfast just acts like the cat we have always had.  Our Vet has been amazed at how well he acts with what his numbers say.  He has had 3 Leukimia/FIV test in the last 17 months all have come back negative, I know there is a slight chance of leukemia being in the bone marrow but I feel there are other things that we can try and really if it is nothing that can really be done.  but thanks from a few new posts on this thread I feel like I still have a few bullets left.  I have printed off LDGs post and will be bringing it with me tomorrow morning to out appointment(just a b12 shot)  as well has their vet contact numbers.  While I know my Vet has done pretty much everything she can think of I know their is always someone you can consult with and seems like LDGs Vet may be able to consult with mine and may get somewhere.  With that said I still not sure where this road will take us.  However I do know that if given a chance I would still do what I have done rather than just "putting him down".  Its really funny I have never really considered myself a "cat person" however when my wifes cat passed away 2 summers ago we decided to adopt another and while we went to the shelter looking for a kitten, Trust made sure he got my attention, reaching through the cage to grab my shirt.  After a few minutes with him he had our hearts.  But again I do want to thank everyone who has offered comments or advise or has even just stopped by and read this and really didn't have anything to say.  I will continue to update everyone

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cards22202- I wish you all the best. I do know what you mean about not regretting anything you attempt to do to help Trust. I lost a cat I loved dearly to Pancreatitis in 2013. It has eaten at me all this time because I went to vet that I had a nagging feeling was not giving me the best advice and because Iiked him I pushed away that feeling. A month into it I decided that something certainly was not right and started doing heavy research. long story short thee were things we could have done to save Ziggy if we had started sooner.

Now , with Remy I am reading everything. I trust this vet. She has been named the best vet in the San Francisco Bay area twice and she is the only one around approved by the AAFP. She also takes time explaining and actually discussing options with me.

That helps.

I didn't ever think of myself as a cat person either. I worked with dogs for years and my educational background is in behavior. While volunteering at a shelter years ago there was a 1 lbs little tuxedo in a cage with a bunch of other kittens. Every time I walked by he pushed his way thru his litter mates to the front of his cage and he would whack at the cage and yell at me in his tiny little voice.. The cat volunteers told me I was the only one he reacted to. That of course intrigued me and the rest is history.

By the way, do ask your vet about the injections my vet suggested. It can't hurt to ask. Good luck!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.