TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vitamin I'm referring to is hy-vite

colliecollie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like our cats are on the same meds with the same problem. I actually just posted a thread today about the Atopica taste. 

My Specky is on b-12 injections weekly and folic acid daily. Her levels were a bit worse than your boys when we brought her in for her emergency transfusion, but what we have her on now is apparently doing something right.

Hope your kitty is doing better. I'm still so worried about my little kid. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah its hard I am going to push for the b12 and epogen injections at our next appointment. I've read some treads this is another tray mentioned option. I am just getting frustrated with my vet. Seems like just throwing steroids and supprecemts and hoping he gets better than finding out what's the cause.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also picked up some chicken liver to give him for the iron, also something I read to give him one a week

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my weekly update on trust did alot of test today, checked kidney liver both tested fine. Did another leukemia test came back negative. Having them run a fecal exam they will call with the result on that. Now pcv actually rose from 17.5 to 17.6 not a big jump but three weeks in a row relatively the same so at least for now holding. His regeneration jumped from 17 to 19 so improvement there. Order b12 injecrions will start those whem they get in also checkimg prices of epogen
Thanks again to everyone who reads this and comments i really do appreciate it.

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's good news, glad there's been some improvement! So is this after reducing the dose of predasoline?

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We dropped jis to 7.5 mg in the morning and 5 mg at night its about where he was before. My wife and i decided we werent conformable with the 10mg 2 times a day

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just getting frustrated with my vet. Seems like just throwing steroids and supprecemts and hoping he gets better than finding out what's the cause.
Have you considered getting another opinion? Could you gather up all the tests done so far and bring them to a different vet, preferably a feline-only vet?

I'm sorry I don't have much to add in the way of advice. I am not a vet, but 10 mg of prednisolone twice a day (20 mg daily) does seem to be a very high dose, in my opinion. I don't know that I would feel comfortable with that either. 
  My Sebastian gets 5 mg once a day for his chronic pancreatitis, and we haven't gone any higher than 7.5 mg daily. I think higher doses (10+ mg daily) are usually for cancer kitties. 

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So not much to update this week. Only took him in for another b12 shot he had bad hemotmine last blood draw. Color is lookimg good and he actually stood up to our german shepard the other day. Hope you all have a great holiday

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad things seem stable, he must be improving if he's taking on the dog :lol3: keep us posted

colliecollie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Why don't you guys do the b-12 shots yourselves? It will save a bunch of money! Super easy to give. 

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So went in for 1st pcv since starting the b12 he is up some to 19.1 which ill take better than going down or staying the same. Collie we wanted to see if we saw any improvement before looking into doing them ourselves. So im going to ask about that at his next appointment.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He goes in for another check this morning, so I'll post the results when I get home. He's been acting pretty good lately which is encouraging. He's been laying in bed with us and on our laps alot more the past few weeks wanting as much attention and love as we can give him.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well just got back from the vet he is up to 28 on his pcv test. Really the best news we have gotten in a few months with him. Thank you again to everyone following this and that has offered words of encouragement, and advice. I will continue to keep you all posted

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well just got back from the vet he is up to 28 on his pcv test. Really the best news we have gotten in a few months with him. Thank you again to everyone following this and that has offered words of encouragement, and advice. I will continue to keep you all posted
Great news!

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Cards222002,

I just began to read your post today, I'm coming back from the vet with the results of an anemic cat. Vet said he needed transfusion *he's in 18%" but Lucky is too old, and I don't trust anybody with my cats, only his vet who unfortunately is on vacation. This young vet had the face of he couldn't care less, so I asked for a med that might help, he said there was none. I asked for his records, and when the vet left the room, I grabbed my cat and took him home (they had us waiting for over an hour for results, it was too cold for Lucky) I live 5 minutes away, so after dropping Lucky home with my mom I went by. Seems that they thought I left without paying and got scared, anyway, when I return to pay they gave me doxycycline 50 ml twice a day plus 6 ml of water after that. Tomorrow I will get him some liver, my aunt said that it usually helps for anemia, not to cook thoroughly, only a bit so it won't loose its good properties. 

I hope Trust is getting better little by little, I will be reading your updates, and I will share mine; hopefully our love ones will get over this illness. 

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would ask about the b12 and prednisolone the b12 helps with regeneration of the red blood cells, while the Pred helps supress the immune system so the white blood cells don't attack the red blood cells. 18% from what I have gone trough with trust seems to be manageable with the meds. It has been a rough going with trust but this site has been a great help alot of knowledable people who really seem to care. Hope Lucky gets better and don't be afraid to post here if have any questions on what I have gone through

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also be careful with the liver have read giving a cat too much can be harmful to them

Status
Not open for further replies.