Anemic cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All his meds are already in liquid form he has gotten where he don't want to swollow them.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What is the total amount of the liquid meds. I have a periodically non-swallower. When that happens, I have to give 1ml or less at a time and keep her head tilted up. If she is able to put her head down, the meds just drip out.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's on quite alot in the morning he gets 3 ml of prednisone, 5 ml of his antibiotic, the atopica is measured out to his weight on the syringe so prolly easy another 4 ml. At night he gets another dose of pred and antibotic of same size. Also gets a 1/4 of a 10 MG tablet of famodinde.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried syringing into different areas of the cat's mouth? i.e., on the side near the back? I can sometimes fool my cat by syringing into a different area. But not tonight ... I didn't get one of the meds in cleanly tonight. She refused to swallow, and tried to trick me by swishing the med around in her mouth so that it sounded like a swallow. Tricky girl.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haven't tried that yet may try it in the morning. I'm not overly concerned about it dripping out his mouth in that he cleans it off of him so he's still taking it in that aspect. It's just he looks rabid after it and just gives us a dirty look.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So update on Trust took him in for another check and down to 18. Not what we wanted to hear. However in talking to the vet we realized that when we refilled his steroid with my primary vet from what the er put him on they read it as Predisone when it was actually Predisolone which is about the time he slowly started dropping again. In doing my own research I have found that seems like alot of cats are not able to convert the prednisone into predasoline so we are putting him back on the predasoline and hoping that is the case.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I really don't know if anyone is reading this really or not since not many people seem to respond to it but I'll keep posting on here in case anyone ever needs to read another account. Took Trust in today for another recheck down again to 17.5 however the worse news is his bone marrow reproducing is slowing. We have been going through this for just over three months now and this is really the first time I have felt defeated. Pretty much if he doesnt show improvement next week I may have to make a decision that honestly I have never had to make before which brings me to tears just thinking about it.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been following this but I really have nothing to offer.  What little I know was in my initial posts.  From what I have read and seen here this is very rare.  Feline anemia usually has an underlying cause.  I know here I have seen it caused by a bacterial infection, FIV or FeLV,  CRF and kitties in the latter stages of cancer.  I am sure with all the vet care that your kitty has had all those causes have been ruled out.  I am really sorry you are going through this.  Has your vet reached out to other vets to look at his case?  Any vet like any human can miss something that another vet would see.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called the er we took him to after last weeks appointment and they suggested dropping his dose of the Pred down maybe over suppressing him but other that that not much more. I just don't know how well that would work and my primary vet was Alittle scepical on it as well

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been following your thread as well, I haven't had anything useful to add sorry, just wanted to send you lots of luck and best wishes. He must be a fighter as he hasn't given up! How is he in his self now?

sara457

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

Really sorry to hear about your trouble with kitty.

I can offer my story if it will help. It has a positive ending! Well...so far :)

Our cat Gayden was diagnosed with non regenerative anemia two years ago. He was lethargic for a few days and I initially thought it was the change in weather that had made him very sleepy. But after 4 days I trusted my gut and took him to the vet.

His rbc was at about 13 % I believe. The vet believed that there was a serious underlining condition causing this, that a cat will not be anemic for the same reasons as humans, which means that when they do have it, it tends to be much more serious than for humans.

Her suspicion was Feline Leukemia Virus. She did the snap test in the clinic for FeLV and for FIV. He tested positive for Feline Leukemia Virus.

Her first step was to get his red blood cell count up. So she gave him a steroid. Within a week it had jumped up to around 20% I believe. She also prescribed Amino B-Plex in liquid form. B vitamins help with red blood cells.

After a few more injections of the steroids his rbc was much higher. He got better really fast.

Six months later he still wasn't showing any signs of illness so I had him tested for Feline Leukemia Virus again, but this time it was a more extensive test. This time he came out negative. He was borderline anemic at that time.

This year he had a blood test and his levels were normal. He hasn't had any more steroids. I still give him his Amino B-Plex every day, just in case. It's all a bit of a mystery.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Best of luck with kitty :)

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sara sure you have read the post and see what I've kinda been through with him. Just hard he was getting better and now getting worse just hard.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Took Trust in today for another recheck down again to 17.5 however the worse news is his bone marrow reproducing is slowing.
I'm so sorry your kitty is not doing well.  
  How did the vet come to this conclusion of a slowing of bone marrow reproduction? Was it something specific on the blood work?

Is there a reason the vet hasn't prescribed B12 and iron/liver supplements to help between transfusions?
I was wondering the same thing. I thought iron supplementation was one of the standard treatments for anemia. 
  I second B12 injections, too.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In his blood counts same one they check his red blood count on I guess there is one that shows him regenarative rate.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In his blood counts same one they check his red blood count on I guess there is one that shows him regenarative rate.
The reason I ask is because multiple myeloma is a bone marrow cancer in cats. It's not common. An elevated level of globulins in the blood is usually one of the first indicators, as well as nonregenerative anemia.

Last edited:

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah we know that's an option. As far as I know all his numbers other than the rbc have been pretty well up until the check today. I was talking to someone else on another board that suggested that his high dose of predasoline (10mg twice a day) over the last week could have something to do.with the slowed regeneration. I have asked our vet about vitamins and they seem to think it's a pointless thing. We did have him on a liquid vitamin per our request for a while and was planning on putting him back on it especially after a few of your comments about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.