Anemic cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As most people on here I am looking for support/comfort/answers for my poor little friend. On August 10th Trust my cat came up from one of his hiding spots(after some coaxing from my wife) once there something was wrong poor guy was struggling breathing, gums and nose as white as could be and at one point looked as is he may have passed away. We rushed him to the local animal hospital where they informed us he was very anemic his red blood present was 8% and were told we had three options a blood transfusion, go home on some steroids and hope for the best, or put him down. Our decision was the blood transfusion. He came home on Tuesday with a red blood count of 24% he is prescribed a steroid and was told to bring him back to our local vet to get rechecked every few days. Since then he has had two checks the first he dropped to 18% and second 16.5%. We ar e bringing him back Monday for another recheck, and have been told if still dropping may have to look at another transfusion. I just feel so lost right now. He's acting fine as of now which is encouraging but knowing according to his counts he's not getting better yet. Just wondering if anyone out there has gone through this and can offer me any advise encouragement.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do they know what is causing the anemia?  There are several types with different causes.  I would think knowing what is causing the anemia and treating the cause would be the most effective way to go with treatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They have done a bunch of test they beleave it is an auto immune disorder where is body is attacking his red blood cells.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There could still be an underlying cause.  Autoimmune anemia can be either primary or secondary, the secondary is much more common.  http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/cat...-z/immune-mediated-hemolytic-anemia-cats-imha    Something, and there are a number of causes, changes the surface of the red blood cells which triggers the immune reaction.  We had a kitty here not too long ago with feline infectious anemia http://www.petwave.com/Cats/Health/Feline-Infectious-Anemia.aspx   It's caused by a parasitical bacteria which changes the surface of the red blood cells triggering the autoimmune reaction.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They did put him on an antibiotic for a week which sounds like could have been for one of those. I will print off both those and bring them to our vet on Monday on his recheck. I do appreciate all this. It's just so frustrating that one day he was fine the next not sure he would make it. Now he is acting fine color looks good but know his numbers are still down and not improving.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Denise just out of curiosity in the cases you have seen what would you say time frame is of seeing improvement in counts. Our local vet threw out a 10 day we should see medication taking effect.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took Trust to his appointment today in a way some good news. His levels are up a little. He is up to 17.3 on the automated test. He also did a manual test and said that came out to 22, not where we want him, but at this point a little sign of encouragement. Dr also said he is seeing signs of regeneration. Hoping he hit a uptrend. Will be taking him back in two days

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like there has been a little improvement which is a good sign.  I don't think this is the sort of thing where there is a quick recovery more of a slow improvement.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So haven't posted in a while last wendesday trust levels were at 20.5 on his pcv, we took him in today and he was at 19.5. Kind of discouraging to say the least. I don't know if there may be a discrepancy in the machine since he was at a different branch of our vet. He's going to go another week and get another re check and if still not improving or dropping still they are talking about a chemo type medication that has shown successful? He is still acting fine he did throw up on the ride home, thinking was stressed with the car ride today.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did they ever find any bacteria and is he still on an antibiotic?  Some of the bacteria that causes anemia need a long course of antibiotic.  It is possible that it is all auto-immune but that is rare, there is usually something causing it.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was going to ask them about the antibiotics tomorrow when we gonin. Based on how he has been actinacting last few days I am encouraged he will have some improvement.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really hope so too. This has been a very stressful ordeal for both of us. He is really not liking taking his meds, he is getting pretty good with the antacids and holding his toung in ways that make it difficult. I'll post tomorrow on what his results are

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well it was a struggle for them to draw his blood today but good new he's up to 23.5 which is the highest he's been which is such a relief. Another recheck next week

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is great, it sounds like he is on the mend.  I know that has to be a huge relief for you.  Severe anemia is a scary thing to deal with.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is a handsome kitty.  Hopefully he will continue to improve and get over this.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haven't been on to post any updates on Trust in a while. He was up to 30 on his pcv test two weeks ago so the vet decided to cut down on the steroid and try to get him off those. Took him in for a check today and his pcv level had dropped to 25. So as of now putting him back up to his original dosage and looking at other option medication wise.

cards222002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well recheck not what was hoping for stayed pretty much the same 24.5, have now put him on atopica pretty much feel like this is my last hope with this. He is getting really hard to give his meds to. He's gotten to holding them in his mouth and not swollowing. Any suggestions on this

Status
Not open for further replies.