Anemic Cat Won't Eat

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

iloveferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feeding tube does not need to translate to an extended hospitalization. She could have it inserted in the morning and ready for first feeding in 12 hours. Usually that’s the reason to keep the patient overnight—to make sure that first feed goes well and no complications. Then you should have a vet tech appointment the next morning to learn how to use it and how to clean the insertion site. If you bring in your own prescriptions, you should be able to save on those medications for that day.

Ask about mirtazapine or Mirtaz (the transdermal formulation.) for appetite stimulation. The side effects—increased vocalization—can be alarming. In Krista’s case, I liken it to having her drink spiked. She gets a serotonin surge and she just wants to be held and stroked until the rush has passed (10-20 minutes) and then she’s off to the plates. Krista has been on mirtazapine for about a month (or two?) now. We have fleas. After everything she’s been through (Ibd, pancreatitis, liver and gallbladder inflammation, and multiple rounds of tooth resorption and associated extractions), I wasn’t going to let fleas be the thing that’s takes her out.
It's good to know that she doesn't have to stay in the hospital. Maybe I misunderstood the vet. I will get more information from the other vet today and see what we can work out.

It sounds like your cat has been through a lot! I feel so overwhelmed because not only is Minnie sick, but my Molly has stomatitis and steroid-induced diabetes. I maxed out my CareCredit on Molly's dental care, and then Minnie got sick. This is all so stressful.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why she won't do the IV fluids. She just does the sub q fluids and sends her home. On the first day there, I asked for IV fluids, and the tech said it was too late in the afternoon. I wanted to take her in early Tuesday morning to do IV fluids, but the vet insisted on doing sub q fluids again.

When Minnie was sick last year, her vet at the time said sub q fluids weren't enough. She needed IV fluids to flush out the bilirubin. I'm about to set up an appointment with that vet, so maybe we can get her some help! She would also be the one to insert the feeding tube because the other vet said she's not comfortable doing it herself. I just hope it's not too late. Minnie seems very lethargic this morning.
Oh, I misunderstood. I missed the IV versus sub-q variation, and thought she wasn't given fluids at all. :hugs:

iloveferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, Minnie's still not eating this morning. She was also hovering over the water bowl, but not drinking any water. I was trying to get her an appointment this morning, but something unexpected came up. I will be taking her this afternoon. She did perk up and give me kisses after I gave her some Nutri-Cal.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wish I knew what was causing her bilirubin to be so high. She had this same problem last September with anemia and a high bilirubin. She refused to eat then too. The vet treated her with an antibiotic, probiotics, and IV fluids. She perked up and started eating within 3 days.
There are quite a few things that could cause elevated bilirubin but my cat was hospitalized back in January and she also had high bilirubin levels and infection. I learned back then not eating for more than a day alone can cause elevated bilirubin. If they don't find a cause with blood test, the next step is usually ultrasound.

Also Hima's vet told me it could be about hairball or another blockage like gallstones. I won't word it as good as she did but basically the bad stuff that should leave the body can't due to a blockage, goes back up and infects the liver. If this happened now in September, and again last September, maybe it's at least partially about a hairball? Something to check in case you see something else in her behavior that gets your attention.

iloveferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are quite a few things that could cause elevated bilirubin but my cat was hospitalized back in January and she also had high bilirubin levels and infection. I learned back then not eating for more than a day alone can cause elevated bilirubin. If they don't find a cause with blood test, the next step is usually ultrasound.

Also Hima's vet told me it could be about hairball or another blockage like gallstones. I won't word it as good as she did but basically the bad stuff that should leave the body can't due to a blockage, goes back up and infects the liver. If this happened now in September, and again last September, maybe it's at least partially about a hairball? Something to check in case you see something else in her behavior that gets your attention.
The first time, Minnie had uncontrollable diarrhea and was vomiting. She couldn't even keep her water down and was severely dehydrated. This time, it started with symptoms of an upper respiratory infection. Both times, she went outside before getting sick. (I have a 'catio.' I don't allow my cats to roam because I don't trust my neighbors.) She's normally an indoor-only cat. I don't know if something outside made her sick, or if she went outside because she was starting to feel sick.

The vet briefly mentioned an ultrasound to check Minnie's liver and gallbladder. I think she wanted to do the feeding tube first and worry about the ultrasound later if Minnie doesn't improve.

iloveferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, I have an appointment set. I'll be taking Minnie to the vet in an hour. I panicked this morning because she collapsed in my arms when I was syringe-feeding her. That may have been her way of throwing a tantrum. She seems perky and alert now. She walked over to her food a few minutes ago and seemed a little interested in eating, but then she walked off. She's also not so hunched over anymore.

I'll update later when we get back from the vet's office.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I have an appointment set. I'll be taking Minnie to the vet in an hour. I panicked this morning because she collapsed in my arms when I was syringe-feeding her. That may have been her way of throwing a tantrum. She seems perky and alert now. She walked over to her food a few minutes ago and seemed a little interested in eating, but then she walked off. She's also not so hunched over anymore.

I'll update later when we get back from the vet's office.
She's probably dehydrated from not eating. My Krista gets scary weak if she hasn't eaten in a few days. She doesn't drink water despite the many fountains I have tried with her. She gets plenty of moisture from an all-wet food diet. As long as she's eating.

I would certainly get her some subcutaneous fluids and ask about mirtazapine.

iloveferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on Minnie: We have an ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow morning at the ER vet. If she doesn't have a tumor or anything untreatable, I will take her back to our vet's office for a feeding tube. The vet said ideally she would want Minnie to be hospitalized with 24 hour care, but if that's not possible, she will show me how to feed her.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The care and feeding isn’t so difficult that they have to do it. But...they probably could get her better faster as inpatient with IV fluids, IV medicines, and in-house testing. But it would definitely cost more. Been there and done that. I’d do it again though.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sending you healing vibes and hugs, as well as good news from today's appointment.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

ameliashuman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sending you my thoughts and prayers, I've also recently experienced something similar with my Neil who stopped eating then seemed to just crash. Its been a long few weeks, but we're using predisonolone, mirtazapine, a probiotic, b12 injections, and subq fluids every few days and we're finally starting to see more consistent eating. It sounds like you've been through this before, but just keep pushing until you feel the medications/set up are giving you some sort of results. In my experience, health care providers sometimes need encouragement/reminders to think outside their typical responses and I can't imagine vets are any different. Good luck to you and Minnie!

iloveferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sending you my thoughts and prayers, I've also recently experienced something similar with my Neil who stopped eating then seemed to just crash. Its been a long few weeks, but we're using predisonolone, mirtazapine, a probiotic, b12 injections, and subq fluids every few days and we're finally starting to see more consistent eating. It sounds like you've been through this before, but just keep pushing until you feel the medications/set up are giving you some sort of results. In my experience, health care providers sometimes need encouragement/reminders to think outside their typical responses and I can't imagine vets are any different. Good luck to you and Minnie!
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. I started Minnie on prednisolone yesterday afternoon. She was very perky this morning, and she drank some water instead of just hovering over the water bowl. I'm hoping we're making some progress.

iloveferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took Minnie to the ER vet at 10am for her ultrasound. They had me leave her there for the day and pick her up at 3pm. Unfortunately, my vet doesn't have the results yet, and she can't do the feeding tube until next week because it's so late in the afternoon now. (We thought the ultrasound would be done this morning and we would do the feeding tube this afternoon.)

All I know is that Minnie has fluid buildup in her abdomen, which doesn't sound good.

I tried feeding her when we got home, but she's still refusing to eat. She drank more water, though. I'm about to syringe-feed her and give her some antibiotics and prednisone. This is going to be a long weekend.

iloveferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hate to say it, but I think I'm going to say goodbye to Minnie today. She looks uncomfortable and her abdomen looks bigger than it did yesterday (due to fluid buildup). This is a very difficult decision to make, but I feel like she's suffering.

iloveferals

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. This morning, Minnie's abdomen was twice as big and she appeared to be uncomfortable and possibly in pain. I couldn't let her suffer any longer, so I took her to the vet for a quality of life exam. The vet agreed that Minnie was suffering and showing signs of pain. The ultrasound results aren't in yet, but by looking at Minnie's history and how big her abdomen got overnight, the vet thinks Minnie had cancer. I had Minnie euthanized early this afternoon.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so very sorry. :alright: I wish I'd gotten to hear more about Minnie before she was so ill. Maybe when you're up to it you can post a tribute to her in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Hugs to you. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
RIP sweet Minnie girl. :hearthrob: :angel: :hearthrob:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug: Threads are closed after such a loss as a sign of respect. When you feel up to it, please consider writing a memorial thread in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in Peace, Minnie. :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.