Anemic after vaccination?

Stanley2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two weeks ago, we took a stray cat that we had brought into our home to the vet for wellness check and to test for infectious diseases. He is now indoor only but had been living part time in our barn for several years. We seemed to hate us until about 6 months after he was TNR'd. When we took him to vet he had already been inside for 5 months, was treated with revolution twice before bring inside and was flea free and, we thought, worm free. He was happy, active and seemingly healthy. He was the best mannered cat we have ever had! The vet wormed with Drontel, gave him a three yr Rabies and a three year FVRCP bundle. We knew something was wrong very soon after getting him home but initially thought it was the worming. He would hardly eat anything. After a few days I called the vet office and was told to try different foods by the Tech. Well, he continued to get worse. Not playing, not his usual starved self that would eat anything. Took him in yesterday, bloodwork showing he has anemia but his body is trying to make new red blood cells. Vet said could be many reasons including the vaccines. I say it was absolutely the vaccines. The before and after is dramatic. He started liquid Prednisolone today as well as an appetite stimulant yesterday. No change yet. Actually seems weaker tonight. Wracking my brain trying to find ways to get food into him. All he shows interest in is the tube paste treats.
Has anyone experienced this before?
Any advise other than follow vets medication recommendations?
Thank you for your time.
Screenshot_20200825-151738_Gallery.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stanley2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also.....when he went the second time, he had a low grade fever. On his first visit, he tested negative for any kitty diseases.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Stanley2020 and welcome to the forum !

It seems like you 'dropped back' earlier.......any changes?

I suppose the saving feature in all of this is that the anemia is regenerative.

I would be starting to 'assist-feed' him - meaning presenting small amounts of tasty food to whet his appetite.

Here's a post I made to someone else, going a step beyond 'assisting', but not quite 'insisting': https://thecatsite.com/threads/cat-advice-asap-head-cold.419162/page-3#post-5230214

If you think that might be worth a try, just remember one thing: do not, ever, squirt any liquid straight into a cat's mouth! Look at that video again >>> she used the syringe at a 90 degree angle from the cat and presented the food from across the front, dropping it on the tongue. That's safe....straight in is playing with a grenade.

So, see what you think.

[a hand blender will whip any wet pate-style food into a smoothie, alternatively, Vets sell canned foods made specifically for this purpose - here's one: Hill's a/d)

Stanley2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank so much for the information, it is appreciated.
I had him at the vets when they opened at 7:30.
When he was at the vets two days ago they noted a low grade fever and I believe that came back overnight. He is being monitored as well as getting an ultrasound, a steroid injection and anything else that may help. Same vet office, different vet today.
Last night was bad. He is so weak and is refusing all food even the pate tube treats that were the go to when he refused everything else.
So for now I am waiting by the phone.

Stanley2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank so much for the information, it is appreciated.
I had him at the vets when they opened at 7:30.
When he was at the vets two days ago they noted a low grade fever and I believe that came back overnight. He is being monitored as well as getting an ultrasound, a steroid injection and anything else that may help. Same vet office, different vet today.
Last night was bad. He is so weak and is refusing all food even the pate tube treats that were the go to when he refused everything else.
So for now I am waiting by the phone.
Vet just called. No signs of cancer from ultrasound and no fever. Agrees that he will no longer get immunized, that this is a immunity anemia. Has give a small amount of fluids, B12, a steroid injection and anti nausea medication. Oh, and acupuncture to stimulate eating. Not sure when he is ready for pick up yet.
Our biggest challenge is getting calories in him this weekend.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
US results a great relief, I'm sure.

Get the exact name of each of those vaccines.........I, for one, will be most curious if it might just be felocell......

I'd also insist that they file an adverse reaction report with the FDA.

And, I'd be asking about pushing the vac manufacturer to cover the cost of all this..............

Now, if you don't have a hand blender (afaik, also 'immersion') pick up some of that Hills 'recovery food' - it's quite tasty, too. And, ask them for a half dozen 5cc syringes (needleless) in case you need them for feeding.

.........and............take a deep breath!

Stanley2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Get the exact name of each of those vaccines.........I, for one, will be most curious if it might just be felocell......

And, I'd be asking about pushing the vac manufacturer to cover the cost of all this..............

Now, if you don't have a hand blender (afaik, also 'immersion') pick up some of that Hills 'recovery food' - it's quite tasty, too. And, ask them for a half dozen 5cc syringes (needleless) in case you need them for feeding.

Oh my goodness, this is so helpful, thank you. What a wonderful community I have stumbled upon when I most need it

Stanley2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Stanley2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Home now and sleeping comfortably. The syringe feeding is going better than expected. The video shared by white shadow is super helpful. We are armed with supplies and information and follow up with vet on Monday.

Attachments

Stanley2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Vet gave me photocopies of everything including the packaging....Nobivac Zoetis/ Nobivac feline 1-HCP

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, my........he looks exhausted........but happy to be home! Looks like a teddy bear!

Glad to hear he's accepting the feeding. The 'method of presentation' has everything to do with success, too. Doing it that way is more of an offering, presenting it to him, rather than forcing it on him. My two old timers will lick smoothie style food from the back of a teaspoon quite happily. It's so less stressful on us, too.

So, relax, get some rest. I'm sure you're probably as spent as he looks !

I'll leave a few notes for tomorrow/later.

Was there anything by way of discharge report/prognosis/expectations/concerns kind-of-thing?

Once the dust settles and he's back to normal, this can be covered off too. You were given...even the packaging...? Does that mean they've tried to unload any addressing/approaching Zoetis to you? What about the FDA reporting? I believe that they would hold more influence in dealings like this. Anyway, there will be time for all that later.

Stanley2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, my........he looks exhausted........but happy to be home! Looks like a teddy bear!

Glad to hear he's accepting the feeding. The 'method of presentation' has everything to do with success, too. Doing it that way is more of an offering, presenting it to him, rather than forcing it on him. My two old timers will lick smoothie style food from the back of a teaspoon quite happily. It's so less stressful on us, too.

So, relax, get some rest. I'm sure you're probably as spent as he looks !

I'll leave a few notes for tomorrow/later.

Was there anything by way of discharge report/prognosis/expectations/concerns kind-of-thing?

Once the dust settles and he's back to normal, this can be covered off too. You were given...even the packaging...? Does that mean they've tried to unload any addressing/approaching Zoetis to you? What about the FDA reporting? I believe that they would hold more influence in dealings like this. Anyway, there will be time for all that later.
I thought he was the devil when he was a stray Tom cat that came into our barn. But after being TNR'd, he eventually figured out that we are on his side. He turned out to be the biggest lap cat with a heart of gold. When we brought him inside, he never looked back.

Covid is affecting our lives in so many ways. I really didnt wanna hand him off to a Tech in the parking lot and hope for the best.

We will have a follow up on Monday. They may need to pull blood again to see how he is progressing next week. They told me to think about how far I want to take things should he not improve. Feeding tubes and blood transfusions were mentioned I would be referred to another hospital if that is needed. The vet today said that she thinks he will get better.

I was given a photocopy of the packaging and the notes the vet took on vaccination day that shows the label number where they transferred it to his file. She said that after I contact them (she gave me the number) they will open a case and contact the vets involved to investigate. I will have to ask about the reporting that they do on their end (FDA) next week.

Stanley2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought he was the devil when he was a stray Tom cat that came into our barn. But after being TNR'd, he eventually figured out that we are on his side. He turned out to be the biggest lap cat with a heart of gold. When we brought him inside, he never looked back.

Covid is affecting our lives in so many ways. I really didnt wanna hand him off to a Tech in the parking lot and hope for the best.

We will have a follow up on Monday. They may need to pull blood again to see how he is progressing next week. They told me to think about how far I want to take things should he not improve. Feeding tubes and blood transfusions were mentioned I would be referred to another hospital if that is needed. The vet today said that she thinks he will get better.

I was given a photocopy of the packaging and the notes the vet took on vaccination day that shows the label number where they transferred it to his file. She said that after I contact them (she gave me the number) they will open a case and contact the vets involved to investigate. I will have to ask about the reporting that they do on their end (FDA) next week.
Overnight, Stanley's condition worsened. His breathing became increasingly worse and he passed away in the Vets parking lot this morning. At least we were with him at the end and he knew he was loved. I am afraid he did suffer and I regret not euthanizing yesterday.