And Today

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a great THWACK into a kitchen window. I looked out and tiny feathers were floating around like snow. Looked out and there was a hawk sitting on an upside down terracotta pot, a dead mourning dove on the ground. Must have struck, slamming its prey into the window. Hawk only somewhat larger than the dove.

Hawk saw us looking at it and flew away. We left the kitchen. Hope it comes back and feeds.

Or what a waste.

UPDATE: Well either the dove recovered and flew off - highly unlikely - or the hawk carried it off to eat it.

Any bets?

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am hoping the dove recovered. Maybe the hawk was chasing the dove and it hit the window, knocking it unconscious.

A bird flew into my windshield one time. It was rainy out. The windshield wiper hit it, too. I had my brother drive (after forcing him to get out and pick up the bird) and I held it in something the short distance home (all this because I am afraid of birds). It's little heart was racing. You would have thought I was the scary one, not it.

I put it in a box with an open top on the deck railing and it was gone before dark. I don't think any creature would have had nerve enough to come up on the deck and steal my bird away.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope the dove recovered, but if not, I hope it was a fast passing for him or her. Birds do tend to stun easily and appear to be dead, but they aren't, so there's always a chance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was "just" a window that the dove hit I would agree with you, iPappy iPappy But this was a hit from a hawk, beak and two feet well armed with claws. There was a snowstorm of small feathers drifting in the air. I do not have a definitive answer.

When a Cooper's hawk struck, killed, ate its bird-prey several years ago it plucked and ate where it happened.

Nature raw in tooth and claw.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a hawk hit the living room window, no clue what it's target was but he seemed to have knocked himself silly, he wandered around the back yard for a bit then holed up under a couple of bushes. Took him about 3 hours to recover and take off. It's happend a few time around here but the best hawk mishap was when one swooped down onto the deck and grabbed a solar hummingbird he flew off with his catch with the swivel it was mounted on hanging below. Bet he was bummed when he settled in for a quick snack and found it to be plastic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Six years ago. Poor image of a Cooper's hawk plucking and eating a downy woodpecker it had killed

Hawk at Breakfast-2_2018-12.jpg