And so it begins... new kitty comes home and her highness is not amused

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah is learning the microchip feeder, just a lot more slowly. She's more skittish when it comes to new things. She was so scared of the first fountain I got her (one of the catit ones) that once I took it away she wouldn't go near the spot it was for a couple of days. So while Fancy just took about 3 days to learn "the food is in here and the top opens and closes," Delilah had to learn "That's not a big scary thing and I'm supposed to put my head where?" first and is now learning that the lid is not going to attack her.

Look at the little fuzzy belly on this one now...

16429468861438157988285220315622.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... sweet fuzzy belly on a beautiful kitty. :hearthrob:
How are the introductions going? Are they friends yet? :catlove:

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They're still more like roommates working out boundaries. They don't cuddle though they'll share the big bed at a distance.

As I'm typing this Delilah was on the bed. Fancy came into the room and jumped on the bed, right where Delilah was. Delilah was having none of it and chased her off the bed.

I still can't believe it's only 2 months. It feels like longer.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Just read right through and so relieved for you that Fancy and Delilah are settling, at least other than with food.

Hope you are recovering from Covid ladytimedramon ladytimedramon .

I introduced a 3 year old mini Millie to Mouse's 10 Year old world about 16 months ago. Millie is a tiny little cat, not sure if she even weighs 6lb, and Mouse is around 12.5lb and far too spherical for his own good. He did really well losing weight around 3 years ago but after his diet he was really food anxious for the first time and ended up heavier than ever. Getting Millie was largely in hope she would get him to be more playful and active again. Enter that 2 cat feeding problem. 😖. Other way round here: mini Millie likes to snack little and often and Mouse will snaffle anything he can find... So hard.

I try to give Millie little snacks quietly when Mouse is having his older-cat-naps but all too often he realises food is on offer and wanders through. He is less agile because of his weight and age these days so I have thought about leaving some food for Millie up in her high spots so Mouse can't clean up her leftovers. I might try that idea of shutting him out of the room briefly though as I worry Millie isn't getting the chance to eat enough and while Mouse is definitely more active and playing now his weight is not going down.

Our cats do like to set us some challenges. 🙄😂

Fancy looks like a completely different cat after just a few weeks. It's amazing! Hopefully once they settle a bit more together you will see Delilah trim down and Fancy find a nice healthy weight. Think their introductions are going nicely. So lovely to see them on the bed near each other. 👍

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'm doing better and back at work (with a 1 day setback due to tummy upset from all the meds).

Delilah seems to have finally started to settle into her microchip feeder. I've got it at training 4 now (about an inch open so she can smell the food) and she's not running when the door opens. Fancy seems to have adopted to grazing. With the "connect" version it tells me when she goes back and forth to the bowl. Hopefully Delilah will start to feel comfortable with that too.

I changed the dry food again. Fussie Cat, on their dry bags, says very clearly "no fish". I used their duck/quail when I was allergy testing Delilah, but this time I went with just the chicken/turkey. I picked up a couple of cans of ProPlan to test but I'm not sold on it. If their stomachs settle on the Fussie Cat/Fancy Feast combo I'll be happy.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It is very tough when the have sensitive digestive systems. So far I've been lucky with Mouse and Millie which is just as well given difficultues in food supply chains recently. One of my previous tabby girls was very restricted though and spent many years on medication to try and control inflammation. She was mostly intolerant of anything not high protein meat/poultry/fish. Very stinky, messy litter. 😖

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's what I was having when I gave both of them fish based kibble without realizing it. Delilah is the fussy one though. Fancy eats anything.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello all.

My covid is gone (just clogged ears and the cough that hasn't gone away in 9 years still is worse than usual), snow/ice is gone (this is Texas - lasted 2 days).

So the girls are still mostly roommates. Both of them are using the microchip feeders (took Delilah about 2 weeks to adapt). Delilah's tummy seems back to normal. Fancy however.... her new nickname is "Miss Stinkybutt". In short, she is still stinking up the litterbox (and occasionally whatever room she's in).

I'm wondering if this "off smell" is lingering enough that it is affecting the relationship between the girls. Delilah will sniff at Fancy nose to nose or nose to behind, then she hisses at Fancy and occasionally swats at her too.

Sometimes there is a bit of chasing but I almost feel like Delilah is throwing her weight around. Fancy does have a little scratch above her nose, and I made sure to clip Delilah's nails (I got a few pokes myself).

Now that the girls are both using independent microchip feeders, I can try to separate their diets. I need a kibble that both can eat and I can go with a different wet for each (though Delilah can do better). Fish free is still a must. I'm going between Purina Beyond and Simply Nourish (pet smart house version). Feeding these girls is going to be the death of me.

Fancy is starting to get a fluffy belly AND a primordial pouch
. 20220208_061357.jpg

The girls give me "the look" when I try to go to work.

20220208_070941.jpg 20220208_070404.jpg

Sharing the tree
20220206_093329.jpg

I have no idea what they were doing here but I got the camera and they went all innocent on me.
20220204_063547.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like things are going well. Sorry about your cough and clogged ears. Hopefully both clear up soon.

As for "Miss Stinkybutt" maybe another food change is necessary. It's complicated enough with just one cat to feed, so I'm sure having 2 makes it even more "fun". Hopefully you can find a food that agrees both their systems.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That was one of my thoughts behind getting them started now on microchip feeders. Besides stealing each other's food, if one needs a special diet the other isn't in it.

So this morning I decided to test a new food. It's the Simply Nourish, and it's one of the ones that's a real chicken shred in broth. Usually mornings are a good judge of who's going to eat what, because the girls are hungry and less likely to turn something down. Fancy eats hers in record time. Delilah gives me a dirty look and follows me around while I finish getting dressed. I figured she'd eat in a little bit. Nope. I go in the kitchen and she starts eating the dead cat grass that I need to replace. This is one of those "no way on earth she'll eat it" foods. So I take her bowl out of the feeder and put it down, then go to get some of the Fancy Feast for Delilah. By the time I get back to their bowls, Fancy has now inhaled whatever was in Delilah's bowl! She's licking the plate. I get another dish (instead of the timed feeder) and put the Fancy Feast in it, and Delilah is chowing down immediately. I finish getting ready, Delilah has eaten her food, and Fancy is licking the bowl!

Fancy basically demolished 2 cans of food this morning (over 5 ounces) and was ready for more. According to the microchip feeder log, she went back to her own dish 3 more times after I left for work. I know I'm giving her plenty of food without going over 200 calories. She has a 3 oz can in the morning, kibble drops 1st come first serve twice during the day, half a can when I get home, a full can bedtime, and another late night kibble drop.

I may try using the "split bowl" and leaving her some kibble in there, but she doesn't always eat kibble. There is a part of me saying to schedule her into the vet in case there is something more (the amount she packed away, plus the smelly/occasionally soft stool).

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd be less concerned about food insecurity if I wasn't dealing with the smelly and softer stools. Having all 3 makes me worried about something else. I'm sure it's her and not Delilah, because I've heard Fancy in the litterbox, then she's come onto my bed and the smell is clinging to her for 15 min. I've even picked her up to check her behind to see if there was anything on her, but the odor just seems to linger on her. I've also been in the room when Delilah does #2 and there is a small, normal smell like she's had before that dissipates quickly.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd be less concerned about food insecurity if I wasn't dealing with the smelly and softer stools. Having all 3 makes me worried about something else.
Hmmm... you could be onto something, as my Ruby did have her stomach issues, along with the food obsession, when I adopted her. So maybe if Fancy's tummy doesn't feel good, it makes her want to eat more.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Last night Fancy was sitting with me on the recliner. Delilah was several feet away. All of a sudden I smelled what almost was like rotten eggs. This morning, Fancy jumped onto my bed after using the litter box. Same smell. So it's vet time, and probably food change time.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll look over those and ask the vet about it. I haven't seen her scooting though. I did make a call in to the vet and I'm waiting to hear back.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet tech texted me with the best phrase ever: "Room Clearing Flatulence" - I was chuckling for a good 10 min.

Apparently they haven't done a fecal on her, so I need to catch her in the litterbox to get a fresh sample. I'm hoping she doesn't have anything, especially since I'd be worried about Delilah getting it. But if it was a parasite, I would think after this time Delilah would be having the same "room clearing flatulence".

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fecal is clear. The vet left a message because I had the phone on the charger and I was in the kitchen making dinner. I have to call in the morning.

According to her message the next thing is food allergies. I wouldn't be surprised because all this started after the hidden fish meal. I've been super careful about fish since then, and Delilah's stomach cleared up. I primarily buy chicken, turkey, and beef so those would be the main suspects (other than side ingredients) and she is recommending a hypoallergenic food for 2 to 3 months. It's a good thing I have them adjusted to the microchip feeders and Fancy eats anything.

But unless Delilah is willing to eat the same kibble I'm going to have to figure out using the split bowls for kibble in the microchip feeders and get them to not eat everything in one fell swoop.

Oh... pics

I was trying to keep Fancy close so I could catch her in the litterbox so I closed her in the bathroom while I was taking my shower.
20220213_203003.jpg

Sunbeam induced peace.
20220213_141330.jpg

Earlier Delilah burrowed under the blanket. Fancy started poking at the moving lump and Delilah was NOT happy. She was going at Fancy until I got them settled down.

20220213_204310.jpg

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Whatever kibble I get will have to go to both girls. Tonight I had a very real incident. I was feeling very queasy to the point I felt like I was going to throw up. I was going to feed the girls and I just felt sicker so I took a ginger tummy candy and had to sit down. Both girls were very hungry and looking for anything to eat. I needed to sit quietly so I wound up doing a remote kibble drop. Delilah ate first then I dropped some for Fancy while I tried to get my stomach settled. So at this point I'm not ready to give up the timed drop feeder with remote phone access.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Love the pics of them together. :hearthrob:
Good luck finding a food that will work with both of them.
Sorry about your tummy issues. :alright: