And so it begins... new kitty comes home and her highness is not amused

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would I be possibly ruining all progress if I take Fancy to the groomer?
I'll start with this, yeah, unfortunately, it is possible that Fancy coming back from the groomer smelling different could cause non-recognition aggression. How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
You could consider taking both of them, so they'd be together and smell the same, but that might not be something the groomer would allow.

I went back over the guide, but the part I'm looking for isn't really explained. Do I just let Fancy out of the gate? Would I be better off putting her on a harness? Or in a carrier?
Good questions, for which I'm not sure. But I *think* before you let them have free run together, you want to have them at least eating on either side of the gate, or playing pawsies, or something to see how they interact at close range.

And if I let Fancy and Delilah have visitations, should I put Fancy back in her "area" at night and when I'm at work, or at this point let's see how it goes?
I'd definitely put Fancy back in her area, until you're sure they're not going to get into a squabble when you not around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll start with this, yeah, unfortunately, it is possible that Fancy coming back from the groomer smelling different could cause non-recognition aggression. How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
You could consider taking both of them, so they'd be together and smell the same, but that might not be something the groomer would allow.
That's what I thought after the fact. I can still cancel the appointment or reschedule and bring both. You just have to book the timing for 2 consecutive appointments.

Good questions, for which I'm not sure. But I *think* before you let them have free run together, you want to have them at least eating on either side of the gate, or playing pawsies, or something to see how they interact at close range.

I'd definitely put Fancy back in her area, until you're sure they're not going to get into a squabble when you not around.
I'll try getting them closer (and getting the camera moved so I can see them during the day). Fancy seems to be fine and wants out. Delilah is the question mark.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I may have to hold back another week or so. Delilah is still not up to the gate, at least when Fancy is there. Fancy is also getting banned from my bedroom unsupervised. She found another treat bag (only a few pieces left) and destroyed it AND she chewed a used tissue (found it on my bed). So if I'm not in the bedroom neither is she.

Delilah did something she hasn't done in a while. She hopped onto the recliner and snuggled into my lap.

20211202_184033.jpg

I am trying to be patient and not rush the process but I'd love to have them together.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hang in there. Some very successful introductions around here have taken MONTHS! But once the breakthrough comes, things go very well indeed. Remember...you can never go faster than the most reluctant cat.

I have to wonder if Delilah remembers being bullied, and is a bit more anxious because of that.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am trying to be patient and not rush the process but I'd love to have them together.
I know it's hard to be patient, but in the long run, patience usually pays off. The last thing you want is them getting into a fur-flying fight that would set things back to the beginning. With the weekend almost here, that should give you more time to work on getting them closer and seeing their reactions.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks ya'll.

Delilah's being bullied in the past probably does play into it. Then she was the 7 pound kitty in the room full of 12 pound and up cats. Now she's twice the size of Fancy (10 1/2 pounds vs 4 1/2 pounds).

I think Fancy gave herself a little bit of a tummy ache after all those treats she stole. I'm going to have to get a jar to store the ones I keep in my bedroom (good for getting kitties out from under the bed). I'm going to give both her and Delilah Fortiflora for a few days (Delilah's refusing to eat her old food so I had to change foods cold turkey).

This weekend my friend is coming over. It'll be interesting to see how Fancy reacts to her (Delilah hides at any person in the apartment). My friend likes to grow cat grass for Delilah.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Looking forward to your weekend updates. :catlove:
Thanks.

For the most part it's been quiet. The two are still about 3 feet apart eating. Occasionally Delilah walks up to the gate, hisses, and walks away.

20211204_102426.jpg

Fancy really does need supervision right now. I put out a toy, a fluttering dragonfly that Delilah was never was interested in. I found the wings ripped off and chewed up.

My best friend brought some cat grass. It was about 4 inches tall until Delilah got ahold of it.

20211204_222025.jpg

It's now about 1 inch.

Overall though Delilah is getting back to herself and climbing onto my lap. Fancy is very snuggly and wants scritches, pets, and cuddles. I also think her condition and fur are improving.

20211205_080358.jpg

Now I just need to figure out getting Delilah's nails clipped without being on my bed. She relaxes on the bed and I put a blanket over her then get a paw done. Bedroom isn't Delilah's zone now.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Progress!

I just had an instinct to try this....

20211205_182750.jpg

Fancy has a harness and leash on. I just stepped back to take a pic.

Delilah hissed and growled a little when I held Fancy up to her within 6 inches. I backed Fancy away 12 inches and Delilah stopped. I took a chance and put Fancy in the hammock. They're both napping or dozy right now and neither seems interested in moving.

I'm keeping a close eye on them. In a little while I'll put Fancy back on her side of the gate. But right now she seems content and Delilah isn't put out.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And a small setback.

I had lost my balance earlier and bumped the gate out of alignment. In a couple of spots I have cardboard wedged in larger gaps where the adjustable screws are. I didn't realize that the cardboard slipped out of place. All of a sudden Delilah starts hissing. I look around and little miss Sneaky is walking into the room. I grabbed her, put her in the bathroom, and fixed the gate. The cardboard is back in place.

Hopefully this isn't too big of a setback. Delilah is watching the gate and checking for her. I'll let Fancy out when I put out their bedtime food.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Someone earned herself the day in the bathroom.

I was in the living room when I heard a weird noise. Turning around I saw Fancy had jumped from probably the mini tower (about 18" tall), 3 feet away from the fence, onto the decorative shelf on the side.

The positive... she's feeling well enough to jump that high and far. The negative.... I have to make the gate taller and I don't have time, so she'll have to spend the day in the bathroom. Another positive... I'm leaving the gate open and letting Delilah get to sniff everything.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like a pretty successful weekend. Love the pic of them on the tree together. That's a really good sign.

Also great that Fancy is feeling better and stronger, you know for jumping, but oops on having to modify the gate to make it taller. 🤗

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks. On the plus side, when I get home I can try to get Delilah on the bed for nail clipping before I let Fancy out again. Delilah's getting some daggers again. I'm also thinking of keeping the grooming appointment and setting one for Delilah to get her nails trimmed if I can hold out that long.

I'm going to give the cat tree another try if I'm not too tired tonight.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok... hopefully the gate is now "Fancy proof"...

20211206_192120.jpg

I used the box from the gate and zip ties. She's not happy. I let her out initially before doing that, and even though I had moved the bed she launched off before, she completely jumped the fence.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So far the high gate is holding.

I took Fancy out on the harness again. This time Delilah was on the sofa. Fancy was quiet and Delilah was hissing. I did get them within a few inches while sharing a squeezable treat. And then Delilah hopped on me and off... leaving an inch long scratch on my chest. I put Fancy back in the bathroom and, with a towel, wrestled Delilah and got the daggers (harder to do in the recliner but utterly necessary).

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well this was weird....

I've got the girls eating about 18 inches apart on opposite sides of the gate. We've had a couple of shared squeeze treats with Fancy on a harness.

Tonight after dinner, something odd happened. Delilah had climbed onto my stomach on the recliner. She was enjoying scritches and making biscuits. Fancy was on her side of the gate on her blanket. Suddenly lets out a noise that sounded like a bark, jumped off me, and ran to the other side of the room. Delilah has never done anything like that before. I didn't hear anything from Fancy. I just thought it was weird. Delilah came back about 5 min later but left right after. It was weird. She's in her condo now.

I'm going to let her settle down before I try bringing Fancy out.

Speaking of Fancy, look at the difference from 2 1/2 weeks ago to now

20211123_084245.jpg
20211206_063024.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is really going very well! As for Delilah, I'm inclined to think that she may have been startled by a noise outside that you didn't hear! That can happen.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise