And...my Christmas Present To You Guys.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I said you guys... "You guys" should try this because "Y'all" already know chili ain't got beans. (doesn't have). :lol:
Anyway, here tis:
Put 6lbs of ground beef in a large pan and add 8 cups of water.
Simmer for 1 hour.

Add 6 small onions (chopped fine)
Continue to simmer for another hour.

Add 5 cans of tomato sauce
Simmer another 30 minutes.

Add 12 tablespoons chili powder, 1 teaspoon red pepper, and garlic salt to taste.
Simmer 30 minutes.

Add 6 tablespoons paprika, and salt to taste.

(You can use deer instead of beef if you want, but, much more venison than 50/50 and you'll lose fat...and flavor.
I think it's better with 50/50 venison and beef. But, not with 100% venison.)

BTW: I would have just taken a picture of the recipe and posted the picture, but....it was written in cursive. So, for you younger folks, I figured I better type it.
Recipe card is dated 1959. (Means chili didn't have beans in 1959) :flail:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you have a small army to feed, half the recipe. (but don't mess with it otherwise).
Wait till the 3rd of 4th time before adding beans. It's good, not Chili, but...it is good. :lol:

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's chili and there's chili con carne. Add beans and canned tomatoes and you have chili con carne. A little cumin makes either one taste really good too.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmph. What makes it chili then? It's just taco meat if it doesn't have beans ;). Haha, obviously I'm on the beans side.

Thanks for the recipe, sounds yummy, I'll have to try it! With beans added :flail:.
I'm on the bean side, too. Beans, but no meat. If there is no beans (pinto) it's not chili. LOL!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
basscat basscat Do you have any more good recipes using venison? We are waiting for a phone call from the meat processing company to pick ours up. We have grilling burger, regular and bacon coming, along with mild link sausage, and cube steak. I am excited.

I probably won't try this recipe as I like beans, gotta have them for it to be chili. We eat it in bowls over rice, with shredded cheese and sour cream.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
basscat basscat Do you have any more good recipes using venison? We are waiting for a phone call from the meat processing company to pick ours up. We have grilling burger, regular and bacon coming, along with mild link sausage, and cube steak. I am excited.

I probably won't try this recipe as I like beans, gotta have them for it to be chili. We eat it in bowls over rice, with shredded cheese and sour cream.
We just treat venison like beef. But, you have to watch most of the time because the fat/grease is actually A LOT of the flavor. And venison is very lean. (with ground meat, we usually mix venison and beef 50/50). That gets rid of beef grease, yet still enough for flavor.
You can add beans, jalapenos, and/or change up stuff with that chili recipe. It just changes it and it's usually still awesome.
Just different. You owe it to yourself to try it by that recipe at least once though. That way you'll know if changing it affects it for the better, for your taste.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
basscat basscat A trick in our area used by game hunters for ducks, dove, bear, venison and maybe more is to marinate meats in 50% Dale's Steak Seasoning and 50% Italian Dressing. It helps to tenderize the meat and does away with the gamey taste. I use it and then cook venison in the crock pot with gravy and onions.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
basscat basscat A trick in our area used by game hunters for ducks, dove, bear, venison and maybe more is to marinate meats in 50% Dale's Steak Seasoning and 50% Italian Dressing. It helps to tenderize the meat and does away with the gamey taste. I use it and then cook venison in the crock pot with gravy and onions.
I think that would make every bit of it taste like Dale's and/or Italian dressing. I was just saying if you already have some venison, you probably got it from a friend, bought it somewhere, or processed it yourself. And you can substitute it for the beef in my chili recipe just fine 50/50 beef and venison.
As for the processing, Just ice down the meat in coolers (ice chests)... leave the drain plugs open, and re-covered with ice once a day for a week. If no plugs, just drain it every day and top off with ice.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, we do age the meat as you suggested, in coolers with ice and the drain plugs open. Thank you. The marinade just helps the meat. The taste is not overpowering. The venison we are waiting on is processed at a wild game processing facility. The burger we have tasted has some beef tallow added, not sure of the percentage. I do intend to try some recipes and will look at yours again. I could have to reduce the quantities as I only cook for two people, but it is an option.