And After Confinement?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Merry Christmas! Hope all is well with Frankie. Somewhere in the perhaps-busy-frenzy of the holiday, you will capture some pics of your beloved boy and share them with us!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!! Merry Post Christmas to you! I didn't take many photos of Frankie. He's not like any other cat that we've had. Well, we already knew that but we've always had our cats around when opening gifts but not Frankie. I am not sure where he was. So I only have one where you can sort of see some holiday decorations. My daughter and Frankie:

IMG_0230.JPG

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He does seem content!

Another, hopefully small, setback. I noticed some liquid next to the box he uses the most which is currently in our kitchen. Sure enough, urine :( He missed the box again. When I called the vet to check in after a month on Amitriptyline she asked if he'd had any accidents. And if he did still have accidents that we should feel free to give him half a pill instead of 1/4 of a pill. She said she's had good luck with 1/4 pill for cats weighing about 10 lbs. and she thinks it's okay to give Frankie a higher dose since he weighs 16 lbs., or that's what he weighed in October. I do wonder if he's lost a little weight though. Maybe we'll weigh him this weekend.

Anyway, will discuss with the husband whether to increase his dose. He does seem to miss the box about once a week. Maybe less than that. When I clean the boxes there is sometimes urine on the edges. So I clean up on the floor around the box and spray the stuff to neutralize the smell, Life Miracle.

Okay, that's my small update for now. He's still cute as can be!!

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
and again this morning? what the heck?? and this one was worse than last night's as the pee got underneath the box so I had to clean the box too and replace the litter.

I think we'll start half a pill tonight then.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Uh oh... Have you seen what he is doing when he misses? Is he peeing over the top of the box like my Feeby does every now and then? Or, just peeing beside the box? Just curious. If the vet said to up the dose of Amitriptyline, then try that and see if it makes a difference. I don't know how long it takes for an increased dosage to start taking affect, or if it is instantaneous... Maybe you could do 1/2 pill every other day, and 1/4 pill in between - just to make sure he is not getting too much?

Could be all of the 'unusual' activity related to the holidays that kind of upped his stress level??

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have not seen him in action when the urine has landed on the floor. I have seen him lift his back end in the middle of peeing and that lands on the edge of the box. Hubby says it's gotten on the wall before, but only in the boxes in his room in the basement. But these "lifting his back end" doesn't happen that often. I cleaned up one little puddle last night after the fact and then another this morning. I just missed seeing him this morning too. dag nab it. yea, maybe it's the holidays that is stressing him. Darn it. I was joking that he'll probably stress out when we remove the Christmas tree since he likes to nap under it.........

I like your 1/2 pill every other day with 1/4 pill in between. See what the husband says...........

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No accidents since last Friday, thank goodness.........but I thought I would post a new photo of my very relaxed Frankie boy:

IMG_0253.JPG

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for pic!!! So glad to hear things are going well for Frankie - and you! It was worth all the craziness, wasn't it??? (And, it will be worth all the craziness that may yet come - always does with cats, you know?)

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for pic!!! So glad to hear things are going well for Frankie - and you! It was worth all the craziness, wasn't it??? (And, it will be worth all the craziness that may yet come - always does with cats, you know?)
Thank you!! but of course yesterday he did the lifting his bottom while peeing which makes it look like he is spraying? He did that twice yesterday. Well guess what? We had our garage door opener installed yesterday and I guess he freaked out a little bit because of that. I got home just as he was finishing up and he was at our back door freaking out poor Frankie. Hubby had to calm Frankie down and reassure him that the garage door tech wasn't going to hurt him. Yea, we got the goofiest cat we could find :)

but hubby wonders if Frankie still has issues peeing.......we've decided to give him half a pill every day(increase from 1/4) and see what happens. And if he still has the not-very-often issue of lifting his bottom while peeing (and missing the box) then I will call the vet.

Happy new year to you!!

tobyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have another Frankie update :)

He is still doing the lifting his rear end after he starts peeing (not every time he pees) and he looks like he's straining to go. but since this doesn't happen every time I think I will wait the month and then talk to the vet. she said check back in after a month of being on half a pill.

Today my husband went north to visit his mother and sister and I have been wondering how Frankie was going to react to this. Hubby was the one that spent the most time with Frankie while he was confined and they've got their little routine they do every day starting with breakfast.

Well, we got to dinner time, which I normally feed him but he did not want to eat. I'm doing the soothing talk and everything's going to be okay, you're safe. and then he hears my daughter right above us brushing her teeth. he stops dead in his tracks and stares up and listens. my feeling is that he was thinking "is that him??? is he going to come down here now?" so he didn't eat at first then 20 minutes later I saw him on the mat at our back door looking all glum. I pet him and did the soothing talk again and then "how about some supper Frankie?" and he bolted down the stairs to his food dish!! and he ate like normal so, so far I think I got it under control :crazy:

this guy is soooooooooooooooooooo sensitive!!! I guess we'll see what the morrow will bring as hubby is not due to return until Monday afternoon.

we shall see! I'll try and post a new photo shortly.