Anal sack plugs problem?

Kittymatsu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have a good 6 years old girl who, outside of a deviated septum and a couple of pounds to lose, is in good health. Thankfully, her sassy royal behavior hasn't changed though there is a physical aspect that worries me some. She is consistently developing brown plugs over the opening of her anal sacks for a couple of years. I never paid much attention to them since they always seem to end up falling on their own. Lately, however, one of them has been staying for longer than usual. I tried to help it out but it didn't work and is very much stuck there. Her stools are fine though I suspect she doesn't clean down there as well as he used to.

I am wondering if others have had similar experiences and if I should still try to remove it or if I should just wait it out or even just visit the vet. I'm mostly worried that if it stays too long that she might end up with anal sack impaction, becoming in pain and needing the sack expressed or worse.
I am adding a picture to show what I mean by the "plug"

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You could try using unscented hypoallergenic wipes on her behind to see if the slight moisture and gentle massaging dislodges/loosens the 'plug'. While her stool is of normal consistency (which helps to squeeze the 'gunk' from the anal glands), grooming also plays a role; so, her lack of cleaning due to her weight is likely contributing to the collection. Try the wipes and see if you can dislodge it over a few days of doing so. If you can't, you probably need to have a vet express them, just to be on the safe side. If you are willing, the vet can show you how to do it and then you can express them at home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittymatsu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. You could try using unscented hypoallergenic wipes on her behind to see if the slight moisture and gentle massaging dislodges/loosens the 'plug'. While her stool is of normal consistency (which helps to squeeze the 'gunk' from the anal glands), grooming also plays a role; so, her lack of cleaning due to her weight is likely contributing to the collection. Try the wipes and see if you can dislodge it over a few days of doing so. If you can't, you probably need to have a vet express them, just to be on the safe side. If you are willing, the vet can show you how to do it and then you can express them at home.
Thank you very much for your suggestion! I will try that for sure. And of course bring her to the vet if things don't get better! :hearthrob: