Anal Prolapse - Purse String Procedure

samanthaddm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So recently I had a mother cat bring me kittens. All but 1 are manx. The little girl of the group had a slight anal prolapse. Fast forward a few weeks and a couple trips to the vet because it wasn't healing on it's own. She had it put back in place with a purse string suture this past Monday. She was healing nicely and pooping on her own at the vet, so she got to come home yesterday. All thru the night, I checked on her and it looked like she'd been in the litter box but nothing in there. This morning, I caught her straining and nothing was coming out.

My husband called the vet and was told to give her some laxatone and see if that helped. She still hasn't pooped, so she's back at the vet. I've never dealt with this, so I have no idea what's going on or how to help her. Her booty looked pretty swollen, but the suture was still holding. Could she be swollen on the inside and blocking the way out so to speak?

Thanks for any advice on this. I just want the sweet baby healthy and happy.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think that's entirely possible. It's also possible she might need a different surgery in the end, but this is a good procedure to try first.

Please let us know how she does. Can we have a photo (of her front end; rear, too, if you'd like) and a name?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samanthaddm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope we have an update soon. My vet tech friend texted me that they gave her some more laxative to see if that'll help her pass.

Her name is Clove, not rear pic, but this is the sweet girl.

Attachments

samanthaddm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! She was a booger to catch and was quite hissy at first, but she's becoming a very sweet baby. If she comes back home tonight, I'll get a rear picture.

samanthaddm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I thought I would give an update on Clove. The vet had to remove the purse sting. She started straining really bad and got blocked. The next step is to go ahead and spay her and, I don't remember what my vet called this, but tack her colon to her abdominal wall to keep it from coming out again.

I asked if there was any chance it would go back in on it's own, and she doesn't think so at this point. I am so worried. Of course, she was going to get spayed, but having to get her colon tacked back inside? The vet said she just doesn't have enough nerves to push things out with her having no tail.

Apparently this was a rectal prolapse rather than an anal prolapse.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Samantha. Cover is a cutie. Does she have a tail or stump?

I assume the diagnosis was rectal prolapse. The anus is where urine comes out. If she only has a cavity and fur tufts above the holes it could be a symptom of Manx syndrome, which causes a variety of back end problems. A Manx parent would be more knowledgeable about that.

samanthaddm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet did confirm it was a rectal prolapse. She has no tail at all, not even a stump. She has a brother like that, one with a little numb, and one with a full tail. Nobody else has these problems. Cat genetics are something else.

The vet does believe her problems are coming from not having a tail. She called it something that I can't remember, but basically meant her nerve endings stopped early because of the lack of tail. If that makes any sense.

I just hope this surgery goes well and corrects her problem. She's a special little gal.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
It is called Manx syndrome. Other symptoms (which vary from cat to cat) include, but are not limited to, incontinence, chronic diarrhea, and paraplegia. She is lucky if rectal prolapse is the only symptom she has to live with her whole life.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
This can also happen with cats (and dogs) who've had their tails damaged/removed as well. You may need to adapt her food and/or keep her on a medicinal schedule to keep things soft and moving effectively. I'm sure your vet will give you the lowdown.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor Clove! So sorry she has to have the more aggressive procedure. I’m glad that she can have it done at the same time she gets spayed. Saves you an anaesthesia. I hope she does well with the proper diet.