Anal glands

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats frequently has little brown spots on her butt (the size of a grain of rice) and has for years. I used to think they were just little bits of poop, but I just got a full view of her butt in sunlight and have realized it's where her anal glands are.

She has no symptoms of anal gland issues (swelling, obesity, redness, apparent pain, scooting etc.), and I can't find an answer online. I am wondering if these brown bits are a normal part of the anal gland function, or if they require attention from me or a vet.

And if I should give them attention, are we talking full expression of the anal glands, or can I just wipe her bum with a wet wipe? She's fairly tolerant of manhandling, but I want to go in prepared.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of mine often has the same issue. I think it is a little bit of poop attached to the glands. I put a small amount of Vasaline on the area, leave for 15 mins to soften and wipe it off. If your cat wont let you do this either put the Vasaline on and leave it or wipe the area with a warm cloth.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Should you take her to the vet, and the glands need to be expressed, your vet can show you how to do this at home, if you don't already know. While it is not a pleasant job, neither is it a difficult one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Should you take her to the vet, and the glands need to be expressed, your vet can show you how to do this at home, if you don't already know. While it is not a pleasant job, neither is it a difficult one.
Not right now unfortunately - vets here are mostly not seeing clients face-to-face. But when things go back to that I will ask my vet to show me.

In the meantime, I did apply the vaseline as suggested, then tried to wipe it off. They little bits didn't come off by the time my cat had had enough of me, but they got somewhat dislodged and she has removed one on her own. I will repeat the process again today in the hopes she gets the second one. My sense is that it's kind of like a blackhead that probably evacuates on its own from time to time but reforms, which is why it always seems to be there but hasn't caused any issues in years, but probably could in the future.

Thanks all!