Anal Glands?

Anoxia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(Heads up that there's a butthole image at the end!)

Hello! I'd thought my cat was kind of lazy when it came to cleaning her bumhole because it seemed she always left pieces of poop there, but I recently came across an image of expressing anal glands that looked similar to what she had. I've attached an image below; I'd appreciate it if anyone could offer additional insight or clarification on what her bum could mean! (I have a vet appointment scheduled closer to the end of the month for a different issue as well; if this is a sign of impaction or other concern that warrants an immediate visit, I would appreciate knowing!)
  • She has had these black spots near her anus for at least 7 months; she is 16 months old.
  • She does not cry out when she poops (although she will poop standing up the few times she has let me be in the same room as her when she goes, and the segments are longer than tootsie roll proportions. Her poop is thicker than my other cat's which I had always joked was due to the sheer size of her bumhole...)
  • She poops regularly, at least once a day.
  • She does not butt scoot.
  • She does not appear to lick her anus excessively.
  • Her butt does not smell.
Thank you! A more flattering picture of her was also included. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats get bum looks like that from time to time. It may he a small amount of poop on the anal gland. If they were blocked I think she would be scooting her butt along the floir and there would be a smell. If she will let you, try wiping the area with a cloth dipped in warm water or put a dap on vasaline on it to soften the poop, leave for half an hour and then wipe it with a warm damp cloth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anoxia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear it doesn't seem to be too concerning; thank you! I don't know how well she'd take a cleaning due to her personality, but I'll certainly give it a try! Thank you!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's just dried poop bits stuck to the butt :) If it bothers you, just wipe the butt clean with a damp tissue. Most cats don't like you messing around back there, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anoxia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha! If she is only a little dirty, I'm very glad to hear it! She probably didn't want to be outdone by her sister, who refuses to clean her ears. ;) Thank you so much!