Anal glands and deworming as home remedy

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My ex-neigbour told me again today about her cats.   One of them had recurring problems with  infections in anal glands.   The emptying and antibiotics costing her 100 dollars each time.   After a while her vet told her

"try and deworm your cat, no quarantee but it may help - try and see!"

And havent you imagined?  The anal glands problems lessened, and  havent recurred since.

My neigbour also told.  While they  were living here in our small town, the cats were let out - and thus - they also were dewormed regularly.   When they moved to our local city, they become pure inside cats - and thus - not dewormed for a couple of years.  But they got these anal gland problems with one of the cats.

Until dewormed again...

Coincidence or a connection?

I dunno, but I know this vet is no fool, he is a very good and experienced practicioner for everything I know.

Has anyone other had smiliar experiences or creditable hearsays?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hadn't heard any connection but when you think about it, it seems to make sense, doesn't it? 

When the cat passes stool, it usually also expresses the anal glands.  If worms have an impact on the cat's bowel movements, that would affect the glands, wouldn't it?

Maybe someone with more experience will  comment.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As mentioned above worms can irritate the system and cause softer stools so that would be why the anal glands were having issues.