An over grooming issue that's a bit odd...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Thread starter
Top Cat
Joined
May 24, 2006
Messages
11,091
Purraise
4
Location
On the 12th floor
Dr. D Claw was adopted by us in February. He is a 4 year old male Tonkinese that has had a very bad over grooming issue in the past. He was bald from the neck back because of his fur pulling issues. My husband and I would walk around the apartment and pick up tufts of fur on a daily basis. After a very long road of vet visits, good advice from TCS, and luck I think we've found a solution. He is now getting weekly baths with this soap:http://www.drbronner.com/drb_sai_liquids.html (we use the Baby Mild, the light blue one that's 4th on the list)

My worst fear is that I will wake up one moring and find hair tufts again. Do you think this is likely?
 

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
May 11, 2006
Messages
8,028
Purraise
21
Heather, I think that as long as you give him those baths and shower him with the love he CRAVES from you, that you should never find tufts of fur on the floor again. Unless 8-Bit decides to take a chunk out of him for stealing the 'nana.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3

lookingglass

TCS Member
Thread starter
Top Cat
Joined
May 24, 2006
Messages
11,091
Purraise
4
Location
On the 12th floor
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Heather, I think that as long as you give him those baths and shower him with the love he CRAVES from you, that you should never find tufts of fur on the floor again. Unless 8-Bit decides to take a chunk out of him for stealing the 'nana.
I thought about asking about the Nana, but I realized that she may think I have the weirdest kitty on planet Earth. I just let that one go.
 

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
75
Purraise
5
Location
Tallahassee, Florida USA
Oh, great soap....I've used his stuff before too! Well, with any Obsessive Compulsive Disorder it is more likely to occur again when it has already occured as opposed to have never having before. But stick to the soap, and high quality diet, even suppliments like fish oil and vitamin E will help (if giving to kitty, give 1/8 the human dosage). And stick to your kitty's routine, changes in routine can cause stress with and lead to a relapse sometimes. But it sounds like you guys are on the right track and you know the signs to look for to catch it in the early stages. So, no worries and relapse is a little likely, but you are taking the proper percautions to avoid that.
Take care.
Kerry

Originally Posted by lookingglass

Dr. D Claw was adopted by us in February. He is a 4 year old male Tonkinese that has had a very bad over grooming issue in the past. He was bald from the neck back because of his fur pulling issues. My husband and I would walk around the apartment and pick up tufts of fur on a daily basis. After a very long road of vet visits, good advice from TCS, and luck I think we've found a solution. He is now getting weekly baths with this soap:http://www.drbronner.com/drb_sai_liquids.html (we use the Baby Mild, the light blue one that's 4th on the list)

My worst fear is that I will wake up one moring and find hair tufts again. Do you think this is likely?
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #5

lookingglass

TCS Member
Thread starter
Top Cat
Joined
May 24, 2006
Messages
11,091
Purraise
4
Location
On the 12th floor
Originally Posted by CatPsych

Oh, great soap....I've used his stuff before too! Well, with any Obsessive Compulsive Disorder it is more likely to occur again when it has already occured as opposed to have never having before. But stick to the soap, and high quality diet, even suppliments like fish oil and vitamin E will help (if giving to kitty, give 1/8 the human dosage). And stick to your kitty's routine, changes in routine can cause stress with and lead to a relapse sometimes. But it sounds like you guys are on the right track and you know the signs to look for to catch it in the early stages. So, no worries and relapse is a little likely, but you are taking the proper percautions to avoid that.
Take care.
Kerry
Kerry, thank you so much!

I wish you could meet him, he's a big bucket of furry love!
 
Top