An Open Letter To My Cats' Previous Owner(s)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat was caught in a trap about fifty miles from here. He was taken to the nearest shelter. He got shots, etc, there. They held him for the required four days then took him to the pet store about twenty five miles away. We found him there. All of this happened over the Christmas holiday. The shelter was near a military town. I have wondered if maybe he was owned by somebody who was out of town for the holiday. Maybe he escaped from the house when someone came over to feed him. He had a problem with explosive diarrhea at the pet store. They put him on a special food for sensitive stomach and I had to wait an extra week. When they called us to come get him finally, they thought he was okay, but he was not. A trip to the vet didn't uncover any problem. I changed his food to a limited ingredient diet and he has been fine ever since. So I thought maybe he developed an allergy to his food and was messing up the house. Maybe his owners just turned him out so they wouldn't have to deal with it. Whatever his story, I wish I could tell his owner how happy he is now to live with us.
I've never understood that phenomenon but it happens all too frequently to members of all species. Sick? Getting older? Having problems? Just walk away and act like you never knew them. This is an indicator of sociopathy, I do believe. The wonder of love is that it is a lifelong process and it just keeps getting stronger through all of life's shared experiences. May you and your sweet cat be so blessed!