An Ode to Teddy

rian1286

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I probably haven’t posted in years, but I figured this forum would understand the most about what I’m going through. This is a long one and I hope it’s in the right place....

I rescued Teddy back in February of 2008. I was a 20 year old college student who was heartbroken after putting down my cat of 14 years due to kidney failure. I came across someone on Craigslist who said they had 8 week old kittens. I set up a time to meet them and thankfully took my boyfriend. (now husband) The house was in a terrible part of town and it was condemned. The women was selling the kittens for $50 and had two left, a grey female tabby and a male black and white tuxedo. The cats were no bigger than a small hamster, their eyes were barely open and filled with crust. I had never seen a kitten so small and so sick. I wanted to take them both, but I knew I could only afford one at the time. I took the male and brought him right to the vet where I found out that my kitten was about 10 days old, had a bad upper respiratory infection, and barely weighed 4 oz. It was 50/50 if he was going to make it and I was so numb after loosing my previous cat, but I gave it my all. I immersed myself in orphan kitten care and found this website which was so helpful. I tried to contact the women I got him from to see if his sister was still available, but I never heard back. I was scared to take a picture of him or name him since I wasn’t sure he was going to make it. After a few days I saw his little personality start to shine. He hated being woken up for his formula and was such a messy eater. He made me laugh and reminded me of my late grandfather who had those same traits. My kitten’s name became a Teddy after him.

Teddy had babysitters while I was in class and traveled with me home on the weekends. He was more of a “human” than cat. He’d sit at the dinner table and wait for his food, follow me around, and cry in the window for me when I had to leave. I got him a companion kitten a few month later- an orange tabby named Milo.

Twelve years have flown by and Teddy has been by my side through it all- my college graduation, my first professional job, getting engaged, moving out on my own, getting married, buying a house, and his favorite... starting a family. Teddy knew I was pregnant before I did. He knew even before the pregnancy test could give a positive result. Teddy earned his nickname as the “Nanny” as he guarded me and each baby as they were born. He’d purr at them whenever they cried and then run to get my husband or me if that didn’t work. He sits outside their doors when they’re napping and watches over them while they’re awake. I’ve never seen anything like it. We had our third and final daughter before Christmas and Teddy has been in his glory.

However, and I hate that there’s a however, Teddy’s been loosing weight. At his age I know it’s not uncommon, but his shape doesn’t look right. His back is almost bony while his abdomen is round and firm. I took him to the vet 2 weeks ago and they did bloodwork. He had a few abnormal values, but nothing alarming. We were going to repeat the bloodwork in 6 weeks, but I called back with nagging feeling that something wasn’t right. We brought him last Monday for an ultrasound and x-rays which revealed a tumor on his liver, a mass in his lungs, and his abdomen filled with fluid. Between his age and the severity of his condition, Teddy is now on hospice. He started on medication to manage the fluid and inflammation and had his follow up today. Teddy’s lost another 2 lbs in a week, but his lungs sounded ok. My once huge 14 lb baby is now 8 lbs 9 oz. We’re trying an anti-nausea and appetite stimulant to see if that will help. I’m monitoring his quality of life and he seems to be somewhat himself, but isn’t really interested in food. I’m praying to get him to eat and I’m taking the fact that he’s not hiding from us as a good sign. In my heart though, I feel like we might be staring at the rainbow bridge sooner rather than later.

Teddy’s led a good life by all means, especially when you consider the rough start he had. I just thought I would have more time with him and I’m trying to enjoy what I have left with him. He’s sleeping in bed with me and is purring near his newborn sister, which is happy place. So here’s to you Teddy... thank you for these 12 years and every day I have with you going forward.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. thank you for sharing with us about Teddy. :redheartpump::hearthrob: At this point, I don't see why you can't try all sorts of human foods too to help him eat. Canned tuna or chicken in water, baby food meats, deli turkey, etc. I would have never thought to do it , but there are a lot of members who say that Kentucky Fried Chicken works in just about any situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rian1286

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the tip! I stopped to get him some wet cat food, but he hasn’t touched it. I’m going to get him some deli meat tomorrow morning and if that fails, I’ll try the KFC.