An FYI about Windows 10

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
LaRussa (Carol) lost the data on her hard drive on Tuesday. She had her computer on and it started to upgrade to Windows 10.....on its own. She caught it when it was about 70% finished, panicked and turned her computer off. She said there was no Cancel icon or anything like that and she didn't know what to do. When she turned her computer back on, everything on her drive was gone.

Carol has a relatively new Dell computer; it's not a year old yet. She called Dell and they sent her out a new Windows  7 OS flash drive. She got the drive yesterday and, last I heard from Carol, Dell was to call her last night to help her install the new OS to her computer. I've not heard anything since, but I have no new emails from her, so I'm not sure what happened since I last talked to her on the phone yesterday afternoon. Since I have no new email, I am assuming things did not go well. I'm going to call her this afternoon to see what's going on.

She said she's never wanted Windows 10 and she's never allowed her computer to be upgraded to Windows 10. But that's what happened. Those of you who have Windows 7 or 8 might want to keep a closer eye on your Windows Updates. Just to be on the safe side, if you don't want Windows 10 to show up on your computer. There is a way to roll your computer back; I've read about it, but you only have 30 days to do it once your computer has upgraded. 

Just an FYI. When Carol gets back online, I'm sure she'll have more to add about her experience. 

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
About a month ago the news was Microsoft was including Windows 10 as part of it's automatic updates.  It did not give any schedule as to who would be upgraded or when it would happen. 

Checking out the story from other sources it appeared to be true.  That day I turned off the automatic update feature on both of my computers. 

I do not want Windows 10.  I don't care how much other people claim to like it.  I don't want it and I don't like the fact that Microsoft thinks it is a good practice to force it onto people who don't need or want it.

Actually in the last few months I have contemplated buying a new computer with Windows 7 on it and keeping it as a spare.    My last desktop decided to self destruct and I had to replace it with what was available at the time.  Fortunately for me it was 7 and not Vista.  (again some found no problem with Vista but to most it was a nightmare) 

I have been dreading the through of my present computer crashing and getting stuck with Windows 10.  So far I have not bought the spare computer but did purchase a fresh copy of Windows 7 with the idea that I can install that on a new computer if anything happens to my current one.

My next project is to find a way to get rid on the pop up on my task bar that keeps taunting me to upgrade.  I had someone get rid of it once but it came back on an update.  My fear is that someone will accidentally hit the wrong thing and download it.  If I can delete it I won't get it back and that will make me happy.  

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Windows 10 really messed up my computer and now there are a few program that don't run because it doesn't support certain versions of DRM (SafeDisc and SecuROM )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Here are some links to check out about getting rid of the annoying "Get Windows 10" icon on your computer:

http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how...ndows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-tray/

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-disable-get-windows-10-icon-and-notifications

https://davescomputertips.com/how-to-remove-the-windows-10-upgrade-notice/

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/successfully-cancelling-your-windows-10-upgrade-reservation

I was using Paint Shop Pro 7. When I upgraded to Vista, it wouldn't let me use the Help guide in PSP because a dynamic link library file wasn't included in Vista. That was no problem, simply because I learned PSP 7 by using tutorials anyway. So when I installed PSP on Win 8 and then again on 10, that DLL wasn't included and I couldn't use the Help guide. But the program works.

Same with iTunes. A lot of people said that they couldn't use iTunes with their Win 10 OS. For some reason (and I'm not complaining), I didn't have a problem with it. Still able to charge my iPod, still able to use iTunes. Once I figured out where everything was in 10, I didn't have any problems with it. Most of it was simply "OK, where is this program?" "How do I find this?" Stuff like that. I like Win 10. I didn't have a problem with 8 either, once I got rid of those stupid "charms". 

Here's a link about when Microsoft plans to end support for their OSs; some might find it interesting: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle 

I think we've talked about this stuff before, but it bears repeating. 

On another board that I lurk at, people who had their computers set for automatic updating found themselves with Windows 10.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I must have been one of the lucky ones, as my 2 1/2 year old computer came with Windows 8 which I initially hated!   Then they came out with an upgrade to 8.1 which was better.  

Then when Windows 10 came out, I signed on for it the upgrade early on, so was in one of the first groups that got it installed.  That was months ago (last summer, I think) and the upgrade was 99.9% seamless.  

The only thing I had to change was an option to make my program that converts pictures from my camera to my computer to start to run automatically like it used to.  Other than that, upgrading to Windows 10 was easier than getting used to Windows 8.

Hope those of you having problems with Windows 10 are able to find a solution soon.  And I do agree, Microsoft should not just install it without the user even agreeing to the upgrade.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Isn't there a way to change the auto update setting in Windows 7 so that it gives you a prompt when updates are available?
I'm still using Vista and in the Control Panel there's a Windows Update thing can you can set it to auto update, notify when updates are avaiable and then you choose whether to acept or decline, auto update but allows the user to choose which updates to install, or never update except manually. I don't know if my Windows 7 laptop at work has a similar setting but then again IT automatically pushes updates to everyone's computer.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I disabled those automatic updates awhile ago. Although, it keeps telling me to "update while you still can for free!" from the little icon that is there.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I disabled those automatic updates awhile ago. Although, it keeps telling me to "update while you still can for free!" from the little icon that is there.
Me, too. I hate that pop up. There has to be a way to stop it, but I'm too lazy to look into it.  Anything that "pushy" is too annoying for me.

I don't mind the 'updates are available' but really hate the 'upgrade now' one. It's like it's spamming me...

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Me, too. I hate that pop up. There has to be a way to stop it, but I'm too lazy to look into it.  Anything that "pushy" is too annoying for me. :bat:
I don't mind the 'updates are available' but really hate the 'upgrade now' one. It's like it's spamming me... :lol2:  
It's been doing it twice a day lately! It used to do it just once a week or so. They are really pushing for it now!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Here are some links to check out about getting rid of the annoying "Get Windows 10" icon on your computer:

http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how...ndows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-tray/

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-disable-get-windows-10-icon-and-notifications

https://davescomputertips.com/how-to-remove-the-windows-10-upgrade-notice/

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/successfully-cancelling-your-windows-10-upgrade-reservation

Here's a link about when Microsoft plans to end support for their OSs; some might find it interesting: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle 

I think we've talked about this stuff before, but it bears repeating. 

On another board that I lurk at, people who had their computers set for automatic updating found themselves with Windows 10.
Thanks for these links, Pam.

Me, too. I hate that pop up. There has to be a way to stop it, but I'm too lazy to look into it.  Anything that "pushy" is too annoying for me.

I don't mind the 'updates are available' but really hate the 'upgrade now' one. It's like it's spamming me...

It's been doing it twice a day lately! It used to do it just once a week or so. They are really pushing for it now!
Oh, wow. This is good to know. I will have to look at those links that 'Winchester' posted and do some settings changes, then. 

Ughh...why do we all need our own IT tech person? 

...don't answer that @Donutte. You're not working for Windows 10...so it's okay.
  Ohh...and we need you around...so don't think of going anywhere, except on vacation. 

Last edited:

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
cat nap cat nap , hahaha, no way I'm going anywhere. And I certainly don't want Win10, I'm perfectly happy with Win7. I hear about all the things that don't work on Win10 and just don't want the hassle. I mean, why mess with a good thing? When I need Win10, fine, I'll get it. I doubt that will happen any time soon though.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
@cat nap, hahaha, no way I'm going anywhere. And I certainly don't want Win10, I'm perfectly happy with Win7. I hear about all the things that don't work on Win10 and just don't want the hassle. I mean, why mess with a good thing? When I need Win10, fine, I'll get it. I doubt that will happen any time soon though.
I have Windows 8, and it's okay. But I have to read up on Windows 10, and see how many things don't work.

Or how intrusive it is. Judging how pushy the pop up is, I think I might have a lot of 

moments... with more
  and 
  so will wait, read, and see. 

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other evening I was heading upstairs when I saw this odd box on my screen. I started to ignore it, but thought I'd better check. It was thanking me for scheduling an upgrade to Windows 10!  I panicked a bit, but was able to find a way to cancel it.  I think what happened was when I walked away from my computer, Swanie was still sitting on the table in front of the monitor. I think he accidentally scheduled it!  I need to check into those links on how to disable the stupid popup.  I do NOT want Windows 10, I'm very happy with Windows 7.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had 8.1 and it upgraded a while back.  Last week it went through another update that lasted forever and actually went through it twice.  It then gave me some messages that sounded like it was updating to Windows 10 which it had done several months ago.  I am not a huge techie, I deal with servers and databases for work, I just don't want to get into everything with PCs.  For what I do it is still working fine.  I have always kept the auto update on because I am not a techie type.  It's not as bad as it used to be but Windows used to be constantly adding security patches and I want to make sure I get all of those.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It happened to me, too. Windows 10 downloaded and installed without my permission, and I knew if I stopped it, everything would be screwed up. I am furious about it. I liked Win 7 just fine. After it was done, the next day a window popped up asking me how I liked it. I told them in no uncertain terms how indignant I was. I have Best Buy's Geek Squad service, and I guess I could call them and have it all undone and put back to Win 7, but I haven't done it yet. The only big difference I can see is that the icons are now stick drawings and there's a capability to store from a tablet and phone if you have wi-fi. I don't have a wi-fi router, so this is useless to me.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that Windows 10 also turned off my Webroot security program and installed its own Windows Defender. I have no idea whether this new program is as good as Webroot, which I pay for. I don't even know how to access it to run a scan.

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have Windows 8.1 and am okay with that. One of my coworkers accidently upgraded to 10 and she could not acess some of our hospital data bases because it also changed her browser to one not supported by those data bases.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband installed it on his desktop and our laptop. He says if it is installed they give you 30 day time frame in which you can go to your control panel and uninstall it. He took it off the laptop.

Last week I sat down to my computer and it was counting down by minutes when the install would start. I was able to cancel it. Now I am very nervous about it and turn off my computer when I am not using it.
I don't want it. I have read that there is a way to uninstall the update and hide it, but I am not techie enough to do it.

We have a separate issue with the laptop and have to take it in to our tech and I will talk to him about how to get the Windows 10 stuff off my computer.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
She can change the browser. Find the file, right click and have it make an icon. She can also make it her default browser, too.
I'm guessing it was IE that was supported, and they don't have IE on Windows 10. Not sure if you can install it either, to be honest. Would have to see if anyone has tried.