Amnitriptyline transdermal gel

litlisa100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi my cat Enzo just started amnitriptyline transdermal gel yesterday for anxiety..... I apply it on his ear ...well today I applied in the morning and later on at night I caught my other cat licking his ear inside and out .....when my cat that licked the gel went to eat he kept spitting out his food ...he then drank water and then I gave him more food and he ate it ....he definitely had a bad taste in his mouth form the gel ....my question is ...is this harmful to a cat of it is ingested ?
i am probably going to call animal poison control
but if anyone could help me that would be great
thank you
lisa

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry no one has come along to answer your question, so giving it a bump! :)

I have only had the pills for my cats, so have no experience w/ the gel. If your cat is fairly easy to pill, it may be a better solution. I don't know how you could keep your other cat from licking it off his ears..
The pills are small enough to try & hide in a treat, or a peice of pill pocket rolled around it. (I've never used a whole pill pocket, they are so big). If it's still spit out, I kept a little of the pill pocket on it, to give it a smoother coating, to go down easier, & just pilled her. Then had a small syringe of water to give a little bit of in her cheak to make sure it went down successfully, & easier on & for her.
I hope this helped in some way, even though not the answer you were looking for.
I'd be interested in hearing what you found out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Not having any first hand knowledge of this med, but seeing that it can be taken orally, I would not think that the transdermal gel would be toxic if licked, especially many hours later. That is assuming there are no additives that would change the chemical composition of the medicine. Why not place a call to the vet and ask, just to be on the safe side?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Instructions for my transdermal Mirtaz (appetite stimulant) say to keep my cat separate from other animals for two hours after applying the medicine. Can you isolate Enzo from the others for a couple of hours after applying the medicine?