Amitriptyline experiences? -- cat itching and stressed

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our 9 year boy kitty has been itching and licking ALL the fur off his legs and belly. This started in March and now its June. Hes been checked for fleas (none found but given Revolution anyway), ruled out for food allergy by vets, nothing has changed in our house like cleaning supplies or detergent. Hes been to the vet 4 times for this, had some steriod shots, then was given a low does steriod pill, and nothing was helping much. As soon as the steroid wore off, he was back to mowing his fur off.
Vet finally suggested *amitriptyline* for anxiety/stress. (Its also an antihistamine I guess).
We did get a new kitty a few months ago and he really doesn't like her. Shes kept away from him but if he sees her he will hiss and try to fight her. Hes usually VERY sweet, so I'm not sure why they don't get along. I know theres other forums for amitriptyline but I wanted to see if anyone has personal experience. Hes going to get a 5mg tab once a day.

- does it cause extreme drowsiness? -- like zombie like?
- does it help with itching?
- has it helped with overgrooming?
- how has your cat responded to it?

I have read articles but I really like to hear personal accounts too. :) Any help is appreciated!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just curious,did all this start with the new cat, or was it happening already?

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oooh, I'm curious about this, too. I have a 9 year old who has started doing this this year as well. I can't decide if it's territorial anxiety as I did rescue a younger kitty a year ago and they still have territorial spats, or if it's allergies as he chews like he's itchy. Hopefully someone in the know sees this post and can shed some insight!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
My only experience is through my daughter's cat, who when she moved from my home (she was living here while going to school) to her own apartment, her kitty started destroying carpet, being very anxious, didn't want to be left alone, chewing. He did not do the overlicking and overgrooming like yours though.
When he was on amitriptyline it solved those behaviors. He was on 5mg per day also. He didn't get overdrowsy or have any side effects. Then, when she bought her condo and moved in there, she tried and was able to wean him off and he hasn't needed it since. I think there must have been some scents and/or noises in the apartment causing it. But we don't know.
So your situation is different, but thought I'd give my daughter's cat's experience with it.
I wonder too if it started with the new kitty for you.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My girl did GREAT on amitriptyline (she was over grooming and pulling out her fur, it was like a form of OCD). It made her a bit drowsy, but overall, she did great. I eventually took her off it only because she got better. They need to be monitored on this drug, as it can affect heart rhythm in some cases.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oooh, I'm curious about this, too. I have a 9 year old who has started doing this this year as well. I can't decide if it's territorial anxiety as I did rescue a younger kitty a year ago and they still have territorial spats, or if it's allergies as he chews like he's itchy. Hopefully someone in the know sees this post and can shed some insight!
I still dont know, we've been to the vet 4 times in the past 3 months for this and nothing has helped his stop itching. He scratching like mad and licking all his fur off (which I'm guessing is because hes itchy). He never had any issues until this year either. So frustrating, good luck!

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My girl did GREAT on amitriptyline (she was over grooming and pulling out her fur, it was like a form of OCD). It made her a bit drowsy, but overall, she did great. I eventually took her off it only because she got better. They need to be monitored on this drug, as it can affect heart rhythm in some cases.
We gave him the amitriptyline for 4 days and he was a ZOMBIE he was so sedated. I don't want to keep giving him this, as he cant do things he normally does and isnt enjoying life due to being over sedated. Its not helping his itching either even though its supposed to be a "powerful antihistamine". Thanks for the reply!

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My only experience is through my daughter's cat, who when she moved from my home (she was living here while going to school) to her own apartment, her kitty started destroying carpet, being very anxious, didn't want to be left alone, chewing. He did not do the overlicking and overgrooming like yours though.
When he was on amitriptyline it solved those behaviors. He was on 5mg per day also. He didn't get overdrowsy or have any side effects. Then, when she bought her condo and moved in there, she tried and was able to wean him off and he hasn't needed it since. I think there must have been some scents and/or noises in the apartment causing it. But we don't know.
So your situation is different, but thought I'd give my daughter's cat's experience with it.
I wonder too if it started with the new kitty for you.
Thanks for the information and the reply. Hes definitely over-grooming but also scratching the hell out of his back and neck, so I think hes licking because hes itchy. The amitriptyline made him SO drowsy hes like a zombie, I hate it. I feel so bad for him, the steroid is the only thing that has helped so far. Glad your daughter had a better experience with it.

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 10 month old kitten is scratching and licking like crazy. Gave both he and my other kitten a Revolution treatment 2 weeks ago. Still unsure if it’s fleas (even with Revolution) or allergies? I did switch up his litter a few weeks ago and we went away for a couple nights. He started itching when we got back. I went back to the old litter. He seems restless and can’t relax— but only at night. We haven’t made a vet trip yet bc he went in April and it was an absolute horrific and high anxiety trip for him and I’ll need to give him a Xanax to go. He’s also long haired. No changes to food or anything. We let our cats hang out in the enclosed front porch and wondering if he got something from that, but our other cat seems completely fine. We’re thinking of not letting them in that porch for a few days and see if that makes a difference. We’re also going to give them both a flea bath just in case. I haven’t seen any fleas on him, his brother or in the house. This is very frustrating!